Terminator Salvation

I had to admit, T2 scared me when I was a kid too. When I watched it again (along with T1 for the first time) two or three years ago in preparation for T3, I realised that I had watched it before as a kid, and all those scary moments came back. But I was older then, so I wasn’t afraid. In fact, I loved the action sequences and appreciated the gloomy outlook of the film, since it’s supposed to be a cautionary tale of technology.
But yeah, I can see where you’re coming from. I’m a fan of disaster movies, so maybe I’m a nihilist who likes to imagine the end of the world in several ways, ha ha. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone support the idea of having a separate board for movie discussions?

I don’t really have a comment on the new movie, but Terminator 2 is a classic. My older sister used to have a crush on Edward Furlong so we used to watch T2 a lot over the years. The very beginning of the movie with the “DUH DUH DUH DUH-DUN” and the robot skeleton still scares me, I can’t watch it. I also read an article in an awesome Australian magazine called “Nerds Gone Wild” about a comparison between Skynet and Google. How about the spoof on The Simpsons, too: “Neddy, Neddyyy!” :smiley: For some reason Sci-Fi channel always plays the second movie, never the first but I’d love to see it.

We’re currently discussing the prospect of a separate board for films/tv/other entertainment. :wink:

I guess you picked the second option, Rachel? :wink:
I love the Terminator theme song! It’s so awe-inspiring and mournful at the same time, the French horns are simply beautiful, and when combined with the metallic drum beats, make it one of the most recognisable sci-fi themes of all time. I listened to it like crazy after watching the second movie years ago, maybe it’s time to ‘dust’ the MP3 off.
Edward Furlong was awesome as young Connor. I like his smart-*ss attitude and how he taught Arnie a couple of wisecracks. The exchange where he teaches the Terminator the epic “Hasta La Vista, baby” line is hilarious and one of my favourite dialogues ever.
Great, a possible P Planet film board! I can’t wait for further developments on this issue.

Awesome new avi, thedriveintheatre!!!

I’m very excited to see this movie!!!

TS2: Were you referring to my Pixar vs Dreamworks avatar of Susan sitting on Mack? Thanks! And welcome to the Resistance! Let’s go kick robot butt.

There’s a new 4-minute extended clip featuring scenes from the movie. Although not exactly spoiler-ish, it does give away a little of the plot structure (ie the order of the scenes you see all jumbled up in the trailer), so you might want to be cautious before watching it. That said though, the new shots are freakin’ fantastic, and is just making me more pumped to see this movie. I may just have to revise my Top Ten list now…

Terminator Salvation Exclusive Four-Minute Clip

Well, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be an embarrassment, like the third.

I love the first two.

Yes. That’s the one I meant. It’s pretty cool. I’m sorry to see that you’ve changed it.

It better be good! I will be super upset if they mess this one up. the first 2 were great but the third wasn’t that good.

Well thanks, TS2. You can see it again at my archives on my “Graphics and Sigs” thread.

Seems the general consensus here is the first two films were good, with the third being pretty disappointing. No complaints, there. :wink:

Since we’re all Pixar fans here, this fan trailer mash-up might be of interest to you:

Wall-E Salvation: The Future Begins

It’s not the only mash-up (there’s about two-three more similar trailers feat. Wall-E and T4), but it’s the first, shortest (audio is from the teaser) and best of all the ones on Youtube. The ‘screen noise’ and timing are amazing! :slight_smile: The rest are worth a look, too, just search ‘Wall-E Salvation’ in the YT search bar.

This movie opens today in the U.S., so if there are any Terminator fans in America, I hope you got your tickets! :slight_smile: It only bows in Oz in two weeks for me. :frowning:

Despite the generally negative critical reception that it’s been getting, I’m still planning on seeing the film this weekend.

Fantastic mash-up trailer, by the way, thedriveintheatre! Thanks a ton for sharing it. :smiley:

I saw the movie yesterday and I have to say, I was pretty bummed. I mean, it wasn’t the worst movie I’ve ever seen but I was pretty disappointed considering the preview looked amazing and I’m a big fan of the franchise. It did have its moments, action and cinematography-wise, but the story to me was crap as were some of the characters (Christian Bale as John Connor was a particular bummer for me) and just didn’t do the terminator series justice. :cry:

My coworkers found the movie to at least be enjoyable, since they hadn’t seen the previous terminators before so maybe it’s just me and my fandom getting the best of me. If anyone sees it this weekend, let me know what you think!

I went last night and watched the terminator movie, and there is a robot that looks like the govinator in it, so i guess thats cool.
but im not a big terminator fan at all. I mainly went because my boyfriend asked me too and he goes to all the animated movies with me and never complains.
It wasnt as awful as I expected.

I was going to see Star Trek, but was persuaded to choose Terminator instead…And it was alright. Not amazing, but it was alright. I was a bit confused the whole timeline thing, but whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hm… responses are pretty tepid so far. :neutral_face:

WIthout giving away any spoilers, what could be improved about the film, in your opinion, CoCoMeister, Jsmead and JesusFreak? :slight_smile:

Well, …Better use spoiler tags. :wink:

[spoil]There was this little girl that was introduced somewhat near the beginning of the film…And I just think the movie could’ve done a lot better without her. The first two Terminator movies didn’t have that little ‘moral of the story’ kind of thing…I’m not against that, but come on…It’s a TERMINATOR movie! Guns and robots should dominate completely. :smiley: But other than that…I suppose they could have explained the storyline a bit more for those who’re having a hard time remembering who certain characters were and whatnot.[/spoil]

The newest installment in the Terminator franchise is more of a bridge into a new version of the franchise. When all is said and done, it will most likely be essential viewing to understand this upcoming second series, but it’s really nothing more.

[spoiler]The story begins after Judgment Day. In T3, the nuclear holocaust occurs just as John Connor realizes that the human race must survive it, but probably only to make this movie. The film wastes a considerable amount of time repeating phrases like "Judgement Day"and other classic lines from the original series, and repeating dates like “2018.” But to be perfectly honest, most of the audience in my screening were hardcore fans who already knew these things and didn’t need to have the facts shoved down their throats. They loved it anyway.

Now I’m not saying that this is really bad. Far from it. In fact, when the actual plot kicks in and it becomes strong enough to carry the film through the second half, I actually enjoyed a lot of it. But the problem is that the major subplot doesn’t make any sense. Kyle Reese, John Connor’s father is in the same time period as he is because of some freak time travel accident, but that’s never explained at all and it’s just so confusing that it takes you out of the fun of the action scenes and chase sequences, which is really what Terminator is all about.

The one plot that I really loved in this film was Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington as a robot designed by Skynet to appear human) and Blair Williams’ (Moon Bloodgood as a foot soldier for the resistance) love story. It actually fits here and is very well told. I also liked Christian Bale’s John Connor to a point, and Anton Yelchin’s Kyle Reese is not poorly acted, it’s just that his plot isn’t necessary at all. (You should go see Anton Yelchin in a better role in Star Trek this weekend. It’ a much better film.)

I’m sorry to say that this film didn’t feel like anything special. The original series at least had a purpose, and you actually felt for John Connor and the other characters. But this film was just so action 101 that nothing felt meaningful at all. Too bad, man. This could have been something great.[/spoiler]“Terminator Salvation”: 4.5/10. Please see Star Trek this weekend.

Well, there’s my review.

i’m deffinetly curious to see the advancements of special effects from the other terminator movies…
i’ll check it out. :slight_smile:

Saw the film earlier today. Here’s my review:

Plot Synopsis:

“In the fourth installment of the Terminator series, Christian Bale stars as John Connor, the eventual leader of mankind’s fight againts the machines. The setting is 2018, focusing on the war between the humans and the computer network Skynet. Anton Yelchin co-stars as soldier Kyle Reese, and Sam Worthington appears as new terminator Marcus Wright.”

Admitedly, it wasn’t until just weeks ago when I decided to watch the first two entries in the Terminator series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first film, with its terrific action, compelling story, and solid performances. Judgment Day instantly became one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time, expanding upon everything that made part one such an engaging film. Now, going into Terminator Salvation, I wasn’t interested in whether or not it would top the first two films; what I received was a fun but ultimately unnecessary entry.

Much like this month’s Wolverine (and, frankly, the majority of all other summer blockbusters), I found Terminator Salvation to be little more than an action film. However, unlike Fox’s X-Men prequel, nearly every bit of the action in Salvation is spectacular. Rather than relying on the frenetic shakey-cam “technique” that has plagued so many recent action films, the camera observes what’s going on.

The acting is, overall, decent. Sam Worthington is especially great as Marcus Wright, and Anton Yelchin (or “Chekov from Star Trek”) does a solid job, surprisingly, portraying the young Kyle Reese. Now, despite being a terrific actor, I never bought Christian Bale as man’s only hope. He’s not a very compelling voice on the radio, to be honest, and what heroic deed he accomplishes to inspire so many people is never really shown. In fact, it almost felt as though John Connor was, dare I say, shoehorned into this movie, as the plot mostly seems to center around Marcus and his struggle. As a result, there is next to no character development from anybody (again, aside from Marcus), and the movie simply goes from set-piece to set-piece.

Despite being an unnecessary entry in the series, Terminator Salvation is entertaining. The action sequences are terrific and most of the performances are solid. However, there isn’t much for these actors to work with, as the characters they’re portraying are severely underdeveloped. Whereas the first two Terminators strived to be so much more, Salvation proves to be nothing more, and nothing less, than a straight-forward action flick.

6.5/10

So Sam Worthington/MarcusWirght/JakeSully/Perseus/maybeGreen Lantern is a good actor?

Jim Cameron is a lucky bastard. :laughing:

terrible film. this movie really fails.