The Bear and the Bow - A Princess of...Scotland?

True. In fact it could be stated that classical Disney (with the odd exception) seems to almost… do AU fanfiction of fairytales or historical things (like in Mulans case). They take the original concept and put their own spin on it. While of course no story is completely unique anyway, Pixar more starts from scratch instead of basing off already existing works. Or at least not directly anyway. (It’s impossible after all to not at least subconciously be inspired by other works anyway.)

Not that this is always a bad thing (using original fairytales and putting their own spin on it)! Far from it! I mean Princess and the Frog is terrifically and very far removed from the original concept, but it’s overall better than the original. More memorable at least, while there are certainly things which could be classed as ‘Nightmare Fuel’. Plus it’s set in the 20th Century, which doesn’t happen very often at all. I overall think this is a good addition to their works.

Of course sometimes what they USE for inspiration is strange because you wonder why they even came up with the idea of making that more family friendly. (Greek mythology…ahem…do I really have to say it? Hunchback while cool is also odd and it will maybe ruin your childhood if you find out what the characters are -really- like too in the original works.) But sometimes it works out pretty well.

Truth is Bear and the Bow won’t even be the first princess from Scotland where the Disney logo could be sported on a DVD cover. There is a princess from Gargoyles after all and the castle was in Scotland during the times Vikings were invading, though of course her role was more minor while still being important and that is probably an entirely different concept.

(Just mentioning it out of pure Gargoyle love).

This Princess won’t be the first one to be more independent either.

But also will be different in the sense there is probably no original fairytale/historical event/mythological legend to bounce off from. At least from what I’m hearing.

I mean I’m sure there were various things which could sparked off this idea, like everyones is but there won’t probably be one defining fairytale etc they can point to as their original source.

Yay for mentioning Gargoyles! I do think that this will definately be a different kinda fairytale- not exactly like all the Disney ones. But I think that’s why I’m so excited! I absolutely love Brenda Chapman, and I’m Scottish, and my favorite movies are Disney Princess ones. I can already pretty much tell this is going to be a a pretty big film to me <3 I really want to see some concept art! Although, we haven’t even really seen that much from Cars 2, which I’m guessing we’re quite a while away from seeing any Brave related stuff :stuck_out_tongue: Do you think the trailer will be with Cars 2?

I hope the trailer is with Cars 2! That would fit into Pixar’s normal trend of putting a teaser in front of a new release. I want concept art darnit!

Heh. Gargoyles is awesome, and almost everyone who watches it agrees. Well, the first two seasons are. It makes me happy that the creator says season 3 wasn’t canon because he wasn’t on the team (and dang it shows).

The first two seasons of Gargoyles are one of the best things America has produced in terms of cartoon television series in my opinion. Which says a lot, since most of my favourite animated shows ARE from there of course.

Actually simply in terms of television series in general scratching out the animated part. It’s just simply awesome.

I think it kept me interested enough in Macbeth to scrape a B in GCSE English. Sad but true. :laughing:

I’ve actually done some archery on holidays, it’s good fun. Apparently I have a knack for it.

Of course that’s using those little MODERN bows. I no doubt suspect the bows in medieval periods would be a whole lot harder to fire.

Though in getting back to American cartoons, I wonder what her skill level would be. Would she be on the level of say the Archers on Avatar: TLA? Or will she merely be above average? or a stark brand new enthusiastic begnner with sparks of talent and she improves as things go on? There WERE women archers even in the older days in some countries but not so much in the British isles in that period if I understand correctly.

Hopefully this WON’T be too like Disney’s Mulan. I like that movie (and that character) but of course it’s possible it might share some things with that movie (except being set in Scotland and the whole bear thing and hiding like a man… actually that’s quite a lot which could be different scratch that XD).

While Pixar has dabbled in things of certain fantasy elements (toys to life etc.), this might be the first time they might actually refer to ‘magic’ directly (the bear is under a curse yes?). Could be interesting to see how they handle it.

I just -really- hope that if they have some witch they don’t treat them like classic Disney would though. But since they want to be different, that hopefully wouldn’t happen.

Id have nothing wrong with a scotish princess YD in fact it reminds me of one of my favorite books, though shes a 15 year old queen. YD ive been wondering is this movie is going to be close to the book but i havent herd much about it. And idk if Pixar would do a movie baised off a book because i think they like to have thier own unique ideas

I love the idea! They released the official Brave logo, and I love the Celtic designs on it!

^Speaking of which, here it is now. The updated Logo after the title change! :smiley:

Link to an article about it: stitchkingdom.com/disney-new … treatment/

I don’t know about anyone else, but I actually really like the new name. And I LOVE the design on the logo for it too~ It looks so pretty! <3

I’m right with ya sister! :smiley: I absolutely love the Celtic designs <3

I totally agree! I wish they still made things like Gargoyles:frowning:

I like the little pictures of Merida and her mother! I didn’t see them until they were pointed out on the blog. I hope that Pixar release a clean image of this soon, so that I can look at the details more closely.

I think this more complicated logo suits the film, and makes it stand out next to Pixar’s simpler logos (which I like).

Ya i like the new name too and i like the designs cause its celtic YD i love things like that

That’s a very pretty logo! I love Celtic designs, and the way Merida and her mother have been cleverly included in this new logo is pretty intriguing and not something Pixar has done before.

Huh…? I don’t see Merida and her ma, where? Where? :frowning:

I do like the logo, though. It’s really cool that Pixar attempts different cultures from all over the world (if Pixar characters were real and they ‘worked’ at Pixar, the studio would get a workplace award for ‘diversity hire’!).

Look closely at the B and the E.

thestar.com/entertainment/mo … n-at-pixar

Voice actor Billy Conolly talks about his experience while working on Brave. :slight_smile: I thought this article was pretty interesting!

Yeah, I enjoyed reading that. :slight_smile: I can’t wait for Brave!

Same! It’s the upcoming Pixar film that I’m most excited for.

Not sure if anyone else caught this, but there’s some concept art behind Chapman here:

Thus confirming that bears and Celtic designs are indeed involved in the film.

I really want to know what those pictures are of exactly! There’s going to be some snow in it!

It looks like there’s a picture of an angry owl in the upper left hand corner…

I can see two pictures which seem to have Merida in them, but both are hard to see any proper detail in…

I want them to release some concept art soon! The celtic designs should give the film some nice detail.

I totally freaked when I saw that! :open_mouth: I see the photo get tossed around everywhere but never noticed (which is weird, because I ALWAYS overanalyze the backgrounds of Pixar pictures). You could very well be the first to notice that (and declare it), Bryko. :slight_smile: