The First Date (Complete!)

Amesome chapter! The way you described the views was great, and you brought in a logical problem for Holley (for the reason she couldn’t stay there). I think this chapter is one of the best of the story.

Wow, thanks! :smiley:

Yeah, having conflict makes things more interesting that straight up fluff, huh? Not that I don’t love me some fluff too. :B

Your Welcome^, I’m looking forward to more.

TEH FINAL CHAPTAR.

Chapter 7

Downhill.

The drive back to Radiator Springs was downhill, and shouldn’t have felt harder to handle than the trek up to the Wheel Well. But logic was fickle, and rolling towards town felt like an awkward death march.

Mater continued to think to himself, and Holley didn’t have the courage to ask why. Was he angry? No. Impossible. Was he sad? Potentially, but there was more. Theorizing was pointless and only served to increase her malaise.

Was this as simple as she could handle before it fell apart? She knew life couldn’t always be simple; she wouldn’t want it that way. Simple moments helped her feel alive… in one way, but not in another. She could never give up that unique sense of being when she was watching over a field agent on the ropes, taking in dozens upon dozens of codes and new details by the minute as her motor rotated faster and her brain seemed to reach levels of concentration she couldn’t just pull off anytime she wanted. But she couldn’t believe that she and Mater were too far apart to have moments like they’d had again. She didn’t want to believe that.

She wanted to be with him.

Maybe she even needed to be with him, but she was getting ahead of herself to think about such things.

Potentially – seeing how they were almost back and Mater still hadn’t replied - she was also getting ahead of basic common sense.

“Yer leavin’ already?”

Holley’s tank twisted at the first words out of the tow truck’s mouth for what felt like half a day. Holley and Mater had barely crossed the town line before Finn drove up to them. According to the Aston Martin, they had another mission that Siddley had returned with, and both the spies urgently had to go.

Mater seemed less distant, but he was still horrible at hiding his emotions. His face took on a childlike level of devastation at the news, and Finn chuckled quietly in the background when Holley’s expression nearly mirrored Mater’s. “You never know when something will come up. But… I’m glad we got to spend the day together without interruption.”

She smiled awkwardly, but tried not to get her hopes up. Whatever Mater had been thinking about, he seemed to have resolved a fair deal of on the road back to town. The question was how he had chosen to handle what he’d processed.

“Oh.” He stared at his tires for a moment before returning his gaze to Holley. “Well, when can I sees you again?”

No. He was still asking questions. This wasn’t that simple.

“Oh, I wish I knew! But that’s-”

She hesitated. Could she admit that to him? Could she admit that to herself? She’d never thought about the consequences of the job she was in love with before.

“That’s just how my life is.”

Now it was her turn to stare at her tires, but she didn’t speak right away when she looked back up, searching for something. Something in him. Something that would answer her question without her needing to ask it. But all she got was Mater with a hint of curiosity in his eyes.

He was waiting for her to ask.

But what was he planning to reply? She gulped. “Is that alright with you?”

He didn’t say anything. She still had more to ask. How? How could he see her so clearly? How did he know that she still had something to say?

“Are… Are things alright between us, then?”

And Mater gave her the one look in return that she hadn’t imagined as a possibility: the look like she had grown a third headlight. “Why wouldn’t they be?”

‘Why wouldn’t they be’?

“What? But, I thought, you, you were-”

For once, he didn’t let her finish.

“It’s not your fault them bad guys r always out theres,” he looked to the sky and arced across it with his right tire. He didn’t seem to notice Holley’s expression growing more and more surprised as he chewed the scenery. “Plottin’ an’ schemin’ an’ tryin’ to rule the world.” He went back to his default grin as he talked about it, his eyes sparkling with pride and nostalgia before turning back to Holley. “And yer so smart and good at catching those guys and,” he finally noticed Holley’s jaw on the pavement, “are you okay?”

No. Holley – whose jaw was on the road - was not okay. “But, back on the roadway! You were so quiet! I thought you were upset!”

“Well 'course I was upset. I wanted to spend more time wit ya. I still do, but if that has to wait ‘cuz of yer spy bisnes, then I decided I don’ mind. Ah mean…” He flashed a hint of a smile and looked away.

“…Ah really, really like you, Miss Holley.”

“…Oh.”

And that was all there was to say on the issue. Simple. Holley had no logic and no retort to that. Even if the Jaguar could scrape for something to defend her point of view with, she hadn’t wanted to argue about this in the first place… She liked him too. A lot. And she didn’t want to debate it any further if there was no reason to.

“…Mater?”

“Miss Hol-”

Holley closed her eyes, rolled up to Mater, and briefly pressed her lips against his.

“Thank you.”

Mater didn’t know tact. He didn’t know lying. He didn’t know shyness. He didn’t seem to grasp the concept of embarrassment in general.

So naturally, Holley had never seen Mater blush before, and found just how deep a red his front bumper became quite amusing.

“Well, shoot…” He rubbed his front left tire into the pavement, “I dunno what I dun did to deserve that, but… yer welcome.”

Finn let the couple exchange one more pair of warm smiles before loudly clearing his throat. “Oh!” Holley said, startled. “I have to go now, but I will see you again soon!”

“Good luck!” Mater shouted after Holley as she sped off towards her next adventure. Mater, on the other hand, didn’t move for a little while, still blushing and wishing a kiss could leave a dent of some sort.

What a day.

THE END

A/N: Ahhhhhhh I hope you guys like this. I haven’t written an ending in so long that I think I forgot how. In fact, my choice to make a mess of the date last chapter meant massive revisions to this part. Mater in a serious, complex conversation about a relationship is so foreign to his character that it’s next to impossible, and I hope I walked the line well here. If I didn’t, I’m aware that I ruined the entire story.

I really wanted this to be an early stage of their relationship, so the ending probably isn’t quite as romantic as people were expecting, but I think it’s realistic and I had fun trying to write a couple that was still in the “like” stage.

If I didn’t ruin it, ta da!

Also, a chapter directory has been added.

I’m enjoyed it! I think you finished it off in an enjoyable and realistic way. I really enjoyed the whole story!

Thank you! Thanks for reading! :smiley:

Your welcome! It was my pleasure, I really enjoyed it.

Surprise! :smiley:

Classified Spy File 8 (Bonus Chapter)

When they returned to Siddley, the jet had fallen asleep. Finn bumped tires with the plane and his eyes opened halfway before he let out a groggy yawn. “Mornin, Finn.”

“Not quite,” Finn replied, “but I hope you slept well all the same; it will likely be morning before you can catch any more winks.”

Holley raised an eye-ridge at Finn. “Have you been… waiting here for me a while?”

Finn smiled.

“But I thought you said the mission is urgent!”

“It is. Not that urgent, however.”

“…I massively appreciate it.”

“No time for chit-chat until we are on board, Miss Shiftwell.”

“Ah! Yes! Sorry!” Holley rushed inside as soon as Siddley lowered the door.

Yay a bonus chapter! I really enjoyed it!

Awesome chapters. I can’t wait for more. And when Holley fell asleep I fell that I need to sleep too. :wink:

“Can’t wait for more”

The entire story is actually posted now, but thank you. :slight_smile:

Also, thank you for all your comments on my work, pixarmilan. :smiley:

It was my pleasure^^, I really enjoy reading your work.

Well that is a good finish.

Today I finished a wonderfully warm and romantic book, and I’ve been craving more of that kind of thing all day for some reason… so, I decided to read this particular fanfic, and I’m not sure how adequately I can express my feelings right now; I am completely at a loss for words. Mostly, it’s been a number of squeaks and giggles and a few tears coming out of me as I’ve been reading this. I absolutely loved it! The way every word that came out of the characters’ mouths and every thought was exactly what they would say or think, the attention to detail, the flawless translation of our world to theirs, the sweet, simple sort of romance that is one of the reasons I love MaterXHolley so much, and well… everything else… I adored this so, so much. This was nothing less than perfection, Netbug009. Seriously. Makes me even more excited to see how your current Cars story will continue! You have really and truly made my day! X3