The Food Thread!

I tried to make brownies a few days ago but one of my friends literally lost a tooth on them! 8D

I talked briefly about papayas in the True Or False thread (long story… well, not really), and it led me to ramble about durians. So I’d thought I’d share my thoughts on it here.

Going by the moninker of King of Fruits here, this legendary fruit of the Malay archipelago has a thorny husk and soft flesh coating its seeds inside. The durian tree reproduces by orangutans eating the seeds, flesh and all, and pooping them out after presumably travelling some distance away.

Of course, humans don’t have as big a gullet as our furry relatives, so the method to eat it is to slurp the flesh off the seed. Savouring the durian is an acquired taste, much like escargot, ballut and other exotic foods.

From the Wikipedia page:

My personal experience of it is that I was the only one in my family who hated it as a kid. It’s a very messy affair having to eat it, cos’ the flesh is like custard and your fingers will stink afterwards unless you wash them properly. Eventually, I got used to it (it actually tastes kinda sweet) and now appreciate it as an adult, but I don’t exactly hanker after it as much as, say, my brother or sister. Besides, it’s a very “heaty” type of fruit, which can give you sore throats and headaches if consumed too much.

The saying goes that it “stinks like hell but tastes like heaven”.

Has anyone tried the durian? Or papaya, for that matter.

Yeah, I have. They smell really bad.

What does its smell remind you of? Most importantly, did it taste good to you?

The taste of the the durian is better than the papaya’s to me, but I still can’t get over the smell. They make me feel like a bad case of allergies.

Actually, the smell reminds me of a flower we have here, but I don’t know its English name.

I have a thing for Italian Coffee Cheesecake and Pina Colada Iced Tea currently

I tend to give myself a daily glass of chocolate almond milk every morning. (Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve been getting into my Dad’s milk lately–and I would never tell my mom or my dad.)

Also, I prefer a whole plain cheese pizza with no extra toppings and no half-n-half. Why? Because if I only get half a cheese pizza, all I get is a bunch of unwanted toppings coming from the other half.

I also like hot fudge sundaes from McDonalds.

My favorite pizza places include Dominos, East of Chicago, Cici’s, Fazoli’s, and Little Ceasar’s.
(Lately, I’ve been feeling so stuffed–like every time I come out of Fazoli’s. Why?!)

Oh, and uh…I like Steak n’ Shake steak burgers. (Some say that steak burgers are a better cut of meat…did you know that?)

^Pizza and steakburgers FTW!! :mrgreen:
In other notable food excursions, I tried a little Japanese cuisine for the first time a couple days ago. I had tempura veggies… lightly batter-fried broccolli, zucchini, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes, and it was delish! I know that might sound bizarre to some people, but hey, I have this thing for fried veggies… especially fried green beans, onion petals, and okra :slight_smile:

I would prefer to have a kind of homemade juice where I shouldn’t have to taste the vegetable stuff because I always prefer the taste of fruit.
(My mom had recently considered getting a juicer…)

I’m thinking about making palm tree cookies with my palm tree cookie cutter sometime soon. (Going tropical!)

^ Sounds cool! :mrgreen:

I might make some pretzels this week.

Do you ever eat chocolate-covered pretzels with sprinkles?

I have had chocolate covered pretzels, but not with sprinkles. I love chocolate covered pretzels.

I like those, too.

I love chocolate covered pretzels! Whenever I have chocolate icing left over from some other project, I love to use it for pretzels. :slight_smile:

One time I was at a Leo Club movie night while in high school and I tried to taste a Whoopee Pie (It tasted kinda horrible, actually)

Do you like Pretzel M&Ms?

^I know that wasn’t for me, but in terms of M&Ms I prefer the plain chocolate.

I like popcorn with a smoothie.

Saaame. I really want chocolate covered pretzels now :open_mouth: