The Foreign Dubs' Websites

Well, this is the Portuguese one: :wink:

[url]http://www.disney.pt/Filmes/ratatui/main_pt.html[/url]

I saw the Japanese dubbing of Ratatouille while I was back in Japan over the summer and it’s pretty good. They did a good job of re-doing some of the puns (for instance, [spoil]where Linguini tries to tell Collette that he has “a ra… a rat” and she answers “you have a rash?” they found a good equivalent. In Japanese rat is “nezumi” and fever is “netsu” and Linguini says he has a “nezu… nezumi” and Collete answers “you have a netsu? (fever?)”[/spoil] Some (but interestingly not all) of the important signs and newspaper articles were changed into Japanese, but again, not all. Most Disney and animation screenings in Japan are normal English with subtitles, but for the kids, they do make a dub print which shows usually earlier in the day. This is what I saw. The kids in the audience seemed to like it.

Edited. Please remember to use spoiler tags when necessary. – Mitch

I love the japanese language and one day, I would love the hear this movie in Japanese. And now, I learned two new word because of you joehisa. I know now how to say rat and fever in Japanese. Who would’ve thought it would sound so similar?

Welcome to Pixar Planet by the way. :wink:

Thanks. Sorry for the typo, it’s “netsu” not “netstu” (I fixed it in my post). There were other places too. Like in the beginning [spoil]where Remi is forced to smell all the food to make sure it’s safe, in the original after he gets tired of saying “clean” all the time and once says “close to Godliness” (referring to the English expression of “cleanliness being close to Godliness”). In the Japanese, he makes reference to paradise instead.[/spoil] There were a few more I remembered at the time but forget now, but they did a good job dubbing it. It came out in Japan almost exactly a month later than the US release (though I hear Okinawa didn’t get it until the end of August). If I’m not mistaken, the Japanese voice of Collete was KAIDA Yuko (a popular “seiyuu” [voice actor] who among other roles was Inspector Ayaka in an anime called “Kurau”) but I didn’t recognize any of the others offhand. Oh by the way, in Japanese “nezumi” is used for both mouse and rat.

Edited. Please remember to use spoiler tags when necessary. – Mitch

I’m planning on buying the Japanese dub on DVD when it comes out
(the wonderful joys of the internet and having a regeon free DVD player)

hee hee. I know about both rat and mouse being nezumi. It can be a little difficult when going between languges though(I came out with this one story over a year ago and still don’t know what one of the characters is because I thought of it in Japanese).

Another line that was interestingly dubbed was the line “Let’s do this thing!” in the Japanese dub it is “Yatte yarou!” (the u is pronounced the similarly to the o). “Yaru”, the root word more or less means to go for something, sort of a cross between to try and to do one’s best, although written slightly differently “yaru” means “to give” but only in the case of giving something to animals. (intersting isn’t it?)

That’s the interesting thing about language. There can be puns all the time, some of them pretty funny (at least with English or Japanese, I don’t know about others). I too plan to buy the R2 Japanese DVD when it comes out. In Japan I almost bought the R2 DVD of “Little Mermaid” at a Book Off clone (a used comic/CD/DVD shop), but in the end bought some other discs instead. I used to have the bi-lingual Japanese LaserDisc of “Mermaid” a long time ago (as well as “Wanwan Monogatari” – Lady and the Tramp). I still remember Ariel singing (in Japanese) “sampo suru ashi ga hoshii…” (literally “going for a walk… I want legs…”) for her big “I want to go up there” song.

Of course Ratatouille doesn’t have any songs (except the French song at the end – and it remained in French for the Japanese dub thankfully) but I still plan on buying the R2 DVD of Ratatouille as well as the R1 one. Often they have more extras, and if not, I liked the Japanese dub and think Ratatouille was one of the best Pixar has made. Speaking of the Ratatouille song, someone just wrote an interesting post talking about how that song at the end wasn’t the original ending:

One thing I’d love to hear at some point would be the French dub of Ratatouille since it’s a movie that takes place in France. I guess they didn’t have to have the actors use a French accent :slight_smile: Do you know of the website for the French version? Maybe they have some clips in French liked they did for the Japanese site…

Addition: amazon japan has listing space for Ratatouille DVD but no information yet (added later). Here’s the link for Amazon Japan English page about Ratatouille DVD:
amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%AC%E3%83 … 317&sr=1-1
You can click where it says WMP-500K and see the movie trailer (probably same as going to the official website). I wonder how different the cover might look from the R1 DVD cover everyone’s talking about. The picture they show is the movie poster, not the DVD cover.

joehisa - Welcome to Pixar Planet! I hope you find your stay a comfortable one. :slight_smile:

I absolutely love listening to certain films (animated ones, especially) in other languages, specifically Japanese and French. Not only can one learn new words this way, but it’s also quite entertaining to listen to. No offense to the French, but I’ve always thought that the language is absolutely hilarious to listen to, as lovely as it is. The same goes for Japanese dubbings, too.

– Mitch

You think it is hilarious, but I absolutely love to listen and read the new languages Mitch. It is kinda hard for me to laugh at the language instead of at the actual humor of the movie.

Sorry about before, I didn’t know about the spoiler tags. But now I do.

I understand both your sentiments, but remember that sometimes the sublime humor of a movie can come from language jokes, word puns, and secondary meanings. That said, I’ve seen Japanese animation dubbed into English, French, Swedish, and Spanish. One show that I used to watch years ago in Japanese, I later saw dubbed into French as well as Swedish (a Norwegian friend who also speaks Swedish enjoyed the show). To me, hearing it in Swedish sounded hilarious, and I couldn’t get the image of the Swedish chef from the Muppets out of my head – though of course I realize that someone who knows no Japanese listening to a Japanese dub of, say, Ratatouille would probalby think it sounds just as funny to them. But I think it’s wonderful whenever you have a film (or book or play) that gets translated to many different languages. It helps explain culture of the place where the story takes place (how many people have visited a place they read about once? Like visitors to London going to Baker street to “find” 221B?)

I remember seeing a sample reel (can’t remember if it was on one of the Pixar DVDs or where it was) of a few seconds of a Pixar film dubbed into various languages. Pretty interesting.

As a joke, I think Pixar should do a Klingon dub of Ratatouille…

I know what you mean. It’s also really funny to hear something in a language you don’t know and learn it and then after awhile you compair how you interpreted it before to now. I got this video for christmas a few years before I started learning Japanese, the video was subtitled in English and at one point I tried to write the lyrics to the very catchy song they played at the end, every few months I would watch the video again and understand it a bit more clearly each time. Watching it now I can understand the dialogue fairly well and read about half of the signs in the background. Also thinking of how I first heard the song always makes me laugh because it was so far off, the song is really about the magic of fantasy and dreams, the way I first heard it, looking back at the sheet of paper I wrote it on, went every where (one part the way I heard it would be about looking closely at some spilt paint on the floor) :laughing:

The Star Swordsman - Once I get over the fact that the language is rather humorous to listen to, I can better focus on the real humor of the actual story that is being interpreted. :wink:

joehisa - Yes, exactly. It’s wonderful to listen to films in differently languages because then you learn something about that culture while having fun listening to it at the same time.

By the way, the “multi-language dub” you are talking about is featured on the second disc of the Monsters, Inc. DVD. It’s actually quite entertaining to listen to.

Oh, and don’t worry about the spoiler tag incident. People forget to use them all the time. (Do try to remember to place them in when necessary, though. Heheh.)

Puh-ha! That would be great! :laugh:

– Mitch

There’s now a date for the DVD release of Ratatouille in Japan: November 14th, eight days after the North American release on DVD.

There will also be two editions, a standard DVD release, and a Collector’s Box – but note the Collector’s Box is still just one DVD (however it comes with two teacups, a framed picture, and other stuff).
The Amazon Japan URL is SO long (about 12 lines worth here in this text entry box) that I think for now I’ll put the URL only for CDJapan’s listings instead. CDJapan is a company that will ship Japanese CDs and DVDs to customers overseas. They charge list price. Amazon discounts the price – but then adds hefty handling charges for shipping to overseas customers, so in the end Amazon usually winds up costing more. Remember that for both these places (as well as any other place) you’ve also got to add international shipping costs. Amazon IS selling them, but their URLs are just too long. Amazon is basically selling both for 25% off list (but then they tack on handling charges – on top of shipping – that basically bring it to about the same price as CD Japan). At CDJapan (the list price of the DVDs), before shipping it’s about US$27 for the normal DVD, $128 for the collector’s box.
Here are the links at CD Japan:
Normal DVD release: cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDS-5294
Collector’s Box: cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDS-5298

Both DVDs will be bilingual (have English subtitles, and have choice of English or Japanese dialogue). Both are just 1 DVD only though. And of course both are Region 2 (Japan) so make sure you know how to hack your DVD player if you live in North America (Region 1) or other parts of the world that are not Region 2. Personally all of my DVD players have all-region capability because a good portion of my DVDs are Region 2 Japanese ones, but that’s just me. However many players CAN be hacked (though not all) with easy secret commands from remote controls. A good place to look to see if your DVD player can secretly play discs from all regions is a website called Videohelp.com (www.videohelp.com). If you go there, you’ll see a listing on the left side. Under “LISTS” there is one called “DVD HACKS”. Click on this, and you’ll get to an area where you can enter the brand and model number of your DVD player and see if any hacks have been found (like being able to play discs from all regions).

*** I just had a look at both Amazon Japan and CDJapan, and here’s how the price for the regular DVD compares. The TOTAL PRICE (including international shipping to North America) at Amazon is Y4,400 (the type of shipping isn’t identified). The total price at CDJapan is Y4,000 for normal airmail, Y4,410 for registered airmail, and Y4,700 for EMS (the best choice, but most expensive… it’s insured and tracked, and fastest). I can’t remember how AmazonJP ships because it’s been a while since I used them… I don’t THINK it was EMS, but I don’t remember. If you’ve never created an account at Amazon Japan or this will be your first time ordering from Japan, I would probably recommend CDJapan (as they are very customer friendly and email in English well), but if you want to do Amazon, it’s another option, so I put the price here (thoguh note, for instance, that unless you can enter text in Japanese at certain points (like the title of the movie to find the right page) on Amazon Japan, it won’t be able to find it. Maybe at the bottom of this post I’ll put the two very long URLs for those wishing to use Amazon.

I will be buying just the normal DVD set from Japan myself (who needs teacups?) when it comes out. I wish I could have preordered it while I was back there this summer, but there wasn’t even at date until now. At any rate, for those that want it, that’s the info. :slight_smile:

Oh yes, and MiniChuchan, yes, it’s great how, the longer you stay with something like language, the better (and easier) it gets. Gambatte!

Ok, the general “Ratatouille” listing for Amazon isn’t as long as the individual DVD URLs, so I’ll just post that. So here’s the general “Ratatouille” listing URL for Amazon Japan. Currently if you click on the first one, it’s the normal DVD. If you click on the 2nd one, it’s for the collector’s box. That “eligible for free supersaver shipping” is only if you live in Japan. There’s no free shipping if you live outside Japan.
amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_fg_ … x=2&Go.y=7

The Japanese DVD version of Ratatouille has these additional/bonus titles. We get “Lifted” animated short, Fine Food and Film: A Conversation with Brad Bird and Thomas Keller, and Deleted scenes (Gusteau’s Restaurant/About Gusteau). Looks like we are not getting “Your Friend The Rat” animated short in Japan.

The Blu-ray Japanese bonus version has Fine Food and Film: A Conversation with Brad Bird and Thomas Keller, Will(legal statement), Dedicated to Dan Lee, “Lifted” short animation, Gusteau’s Gourmet Game, Cinema Navigation(direct translation), Animation Briefing, Deleted scenes(Gusteau Restaurant/About Gusteau/First Day), Short film documentary, Deleted scenes, and Art.

(OFF-TOPIC)

This must be the widest thread I’ve ever seen! :laughing:

Rey,
Yup, sounds like pretty much what the US versions will have (don’t know about the teacups though). In the end, I may order mine from Amazon JP only because I need to get a (Japanese) book from there as well, so if you get a few things, they combine the shipping (other than a Y300 per item charge) so it’s not so bad.

Ah, Sendai. Nice place. I like Tohoku. The big regional city not too far from my favorite Hiraizumi and Tono that has a castle AND an international music competition… :slight_smile:

As far as this topic getting “wide” well… Japanese TV has its “wide” shows, and this thread started with a post on the Japanese trailers for Ratatouille, so…
Plus it’s only fitting, since Ratatouille is 2.35:1 (instaed of 1.85:1). That’s pretty wide.

Hopefully Buena Vista Japan won’t pull a “Sen to Chihiro” DVD debacle on Ratatouille (too bad the guy who sued lost his lawsuit). For those who don’t know, Disney releases the Studio Ghibli DVDs in Japan, and when it came time to release the DVD for the highest-grossing one at the time (Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, or “Spirited Away” in English), all the Japanese DVDs had their color timings wrong. Horrible color tint for the entire movie. It was so bad, a consumer actually sued Disney (asking them not for money, but just to release a corrected version). It was all over the news, everyone knew it (most popular movie of the year, everyone bought it, including me… I still have this horribly tinted Japanese release) – yet Disney being Disney insisted there was nothing wrong with it and refused to admit they made a mistake (replacing everyone’s would mean a profit loss). The guy who sued lost unfortunately, but they fixed it for the US (Region 1) release. OK, I guess that’s off topic. Well I think at this point most of the information is out there for anyone who wants to buy the Japanese version of Ratatouille. Now back to the show.

Well, I’ve pre-ordered the Japanese Ratatouille (normal) DVD from Amazon Japan, choosing them because I also wanted to order a Japanese book written by a friend and some nature photograph books as well (they rip you off on shipping charges initially - Y3,000 for your first item just for shipping a book – but if you add more books or DVDs/CDs it’s only Y300 more for each additional item) so I lumped a bunch of stuff together, which won’t ship until the DVD comes out.

I’ll post on the DVD when it comes if there’s anything interesting to report on it.

As just a PS from a previous post, Amazon Japan now says they ship only “International Express”. Whether that’s EMS or another service like DHL or UPS I don’t know, but it appears they’re going all Express now for international shipping.

If anyone has any information on any other country’s (non-English) video releases of Ratatouille, it’d be interesting to hear about if anyone wants to post it. Sorry, I can only help with Japanese. It’d be interesting to hear other instances of title changes (from “Ratatouille” to… ?) in other languages…

“You have not experienced Pixar until you’ve watched in the original Klingon.” :wink:

And here is the link for the German Ratatouille website.

Haha! I love the Ratatouille teaser trailer in German. The gentleman who provides the voice for Emile is perfect…

Thank you for the link, totoro. :wink:

– Mitch

totoro: It is really different than most ratatouille sites I have seen, but it looks really cool!

I just noticed there is another German website, which looks more like the ones in other countries: disney.de/DisneyKinofilme/ratatouille/

No idea why there are two separate websites for Buena Vista and Disney - it is the same company, after all…