The Oscar race has now begun...

I’ve actually got a similar idea to chef’s, I’m making a bet. I don’t know what the consequence will be, but I’m betting that Up will win best animated. If it doesn’t, I’ll do whatever I come up with. I want it to be drastic, but nothing like shaving my head. I’ll save that for if Up wins best picture (I mean that)

If Up wins best picture I’ll attempt to draw Kevin with my feet. Ink, color, and everything, xD

Even though there are actually some other strong contenders this year, I think it will be a major upset if Up doesn’t win Animated Feature. The main thing that scares me at this point is the speculation presented here:
[url]Page Not Found | Hollywood.com

Basically, their point is, if UP does get the Best Picture nomination, voters will decide, “Hey, they’ve had their reward,” and choose something else for Animated Feature. That sort of reasoning is the only way I see Up not winning animated feature, no matter how good the competition.

I’m still hoping Up gets the Best Picture nom, but it’s not yet a 100% sure thing. The biggest thing in Up’s favor is the expanded category (if it were still 5 nominees, we’d be going through WALL-E all over again). On the plus side, the academy has basically been left with no excuse whatsoever not to nominate Up, but watch, they could still find a way to end up with 10 “typical” nominees and render the whole 10-films change worthless. (Ooh, that’s something I hadn’t thought of before: If there are enough voters who hate the 10-film change, would they use all their votes on “typical” films to convince them to go back to 5 films, because “we’re not nominating anything popular no matter how many films you make us choose.”)

Sorry, I just got up and I’m rambling.

Nah, you’re not rambling. That’s kinda what I was thinking, especially on “they got their award” and all.

Still, even if Up getting a BP nom gets in BAF shafted… that would be the first CGI film to ever get a BP nom. Not bad.

And only the 2nd animated feature ever to get a BP nom - which is a big deal, considering that most of the Pixar features have ended up among the best reviewed movies of their years.

How’s that for a “best picture” push? Disney bought the entire front cover of last Friday’s Daily Variety.

Love it! I’m telling you, no excuse whatsover for them not to get the BP nom.

I second that. :slight_smile:

The Annie award nominations have been announced.
Up got nine nominations (Coraline: ten, The Princess and the Frog: eight), but knowing previous rounds of the Annie awards, it’s just as likely that Up will win all in all nominated categories as it is that Pixar will walk home empty-handed.

I do really hope Up will win… even though Coraline is quite amazing too.

Is TPatF released already? Man… I remember seeing stuff about that movie two years ago… time’s flying by it seems… D: Come back, time!

Wow, very interesting. Trying to handicap the Oscars from this, the first thing that struck me was: 6 nominees for feature, but no Ponyo, although Miyazaki got a director nomination.

What on earth is up with the feature voice acting category? To start with, I’m surprised that all the nominees are supporting roles. Where’s Ed Asner? And where in the sam hill is Keith David?? 2 great, different roles this year, between the Cat in Coraline, and Dr. Facilier in PatF (his Dr. F single-handedly moved me from “Oh, this should be cute” to “This is gonna be great!”).

I don’t think I knew before this that Michael Giacchino did the music for Prep & Landing. :smiley:

Ed Asner not making voice acting is an absolute outrage, seriously. The man IS Carl, he should have been nominated and awarded, no questions asked. At least Pixar’s got a ton of spots, they’re bound to get a few, and they’d BETTER get best feature.

Whoops, I missed that one going through the list.
They seriously didn’t nominate Ed Asner???

Yeah, some of the voice acting choices bum me out this year. Ed Asner, obviously, but also, Jim Cummings and… oh man, I dunno his name, but Naveen’s voice actor? Those two stuck out in PATF for their voice acting more than the nominated ones IMO.

And Pixar better get some awards! After last year? Seriously, last year. What WAS that?!

Bruno Campos is the voice of Naveen. And having seen PATF, Jim Cummings could have gotten a nomination just for [spoil]that line toward the end about, “Evangeline, she like it, too.” Yeah, that got me.[/spoil] Although if PATF had gotten only one voice nom, Keith David would still be my choice.

There is no excuse for not nominating Ed Asner (especially since they’ve shown that they’re not against nominating people who aren’t predominantly voice actors).

By the way, check this out from Awards Daily. Look who’s at the top of this compiled chart of best reviewed movies of the year.

[url]http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=17044[/url]

That’s what I like to see. Its got a bit of a lead too, the gap’s pretty big for being that high on the chart. Excellent!

A very good sign indeed, karly05! I like that chart, too- it’s a very good idea. Things are looking positive for Up!

Haha, look at what studio has the best reviewed film of the year. Again. xD Maybe the Oscars will notice this time.

…BFCA? looks them up Oh, there are the guys who run the critics choice awards on VH1. Up’s nommed bot best animated, best score, best screenplay, and best picture. I just hope they give it a little more respect as a serious candidate than they gave WALL-E last year. :confused: [url]http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice/_2010/[/url]

BTW, if these guys have a section to post comments and they say they may show up on air, post in support of Up! They really DO put a lot of the good comments they get on air. I was on the pre-show ticker last year. :smiley:

Oh, and while it is indeed Critic’s Choice, they have prediction votes, so go vote to show your support if you get a chance! :smiley:

The Hollywood Reporter had 5 lists, with ‘Hurt Locker’, ‘Up in the Air’ and ‘Up’ being the most mentioned:

hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 13b323f160

The actual awards and critical guesses so far seem to point toward ‘Up in the Air’ as the actual winner. This movie has been out a few weeks and I must see it soon or look like a derelict. ‘Coraline’ I missed somehow and when I tried to rent, the copy was in bad shape for my dvd player.

Edit 2 weeks later: Finally saw Coraline and it was an excellent weird film. Up in the Air: contemporary and ‘heartfelt’ in a way not completely surprising, given his performance in Michael Clayton (but I don’t think its the best film of the year, this is the year of Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies). Dang it, Avatar is so good, I’ve seen it 5x now and not all the other goodie films out there.

I’m not so sure about Up In the Air anymore. From the awards I’ve seen, people seem to be leaning more towards The Hurt Locker. This is so confusing. xD;

BTW, I realized after I posted before that PATF got a Critics’ Choice nom for best song! Woot!

…Yeeeah, I dunno who I’m rooting for guys. I’m sorry. I want to chuck a billion trophies at both Up and PATF. It’s not fair. xD