The Wall-E 500 (the ultimate challenge)

Hello, PixarPlanet. This is the original poster of this Challenge. I’m sad to say that I did not finish the full challenge. It’s been a few years, but, unfortunately, I quit at less than 300 viewings (though I didn’t always watch the full credits). I cannot remember the exact number. It might be less, but no more than 300. There was no, “I quit!” Life just came up, so the challenge fizzled away.

To be honest, watching it that many times wasn’t difficult overall. I haven’t seen WALL-E since 2009, but still love it - just haven’t got around to watching it again. With each viewing I learned that the more I watched WALL-E, the less I got out of it, as in memorizing it in full detail. You’d expect to memorize more and more of the film after each viewing to the point where it’d play in your head with perfect detail, but you (or at Ieast I) seemed to stop “knowing” everything about the film after 10 or so views. In all honesty, I feel like I’ve only seen it maybe 5 to 10 times.

So, sorry for not sticking to my word. Thanks for the support. Maybe I could have done it if I came here more often! Perhaps, over time, I’ll finish it 200 times before I die just to finish this dumb thing. One more thing, the first half of the movie still rocks.

It’s been 27 months since you last communicated with us, and thank goodness you gave up this quest, for whatever reason. I know that the typical person here responded with a “Jeepers, wowie, that’s great. Good luck!” But I would have to agree with little_chef that either it was bound to fail over the 500 days or that maybe it wasn’t such a good idea in the first place. I mean you say that you feel you have only seen it 5-10 times?!? I’ve seen it about 40x, only when I really wanted to, sometimes as long as 6 months apart, sometimes 3 days, and it sure feels like 40x.

It would have felt like being cheated if those viewings didn’t stick with me in some way. Only a few times have I watched or listened to the cd/dvd just to analyze something. Nearly every time a new aspect in the film was learned and shared here. And each viewing was a joy, not a chore, with anticipation for the next time 3 days or 3 months down the road. Hardly anyone from Pixar would have encouraged any of us to do the 500 view challenge, and I’m saying this because others have been so positive about it and perhaps a bucket of ice-cold water is in order.

So I’m glad you’re not in a strait jacket, and hope that your new adventure was worthwhile. And btw, the ‘Ultimate Challenge’ might be for one of us to design a Wall-E area at Disneyland or make a new Wall-E movie. That might seem quite a bit harder than watching a movie over and over again, but then again you did use the terms ‘ultimate’ and ‘challenge’, so I’m raising the bar here…

Yeah, i was trying to do that, but it’s a good thing i stopped after the 20th view. It makes the movie stale for me seeing it too many times. It’s good just to see it every once in a while, but not twice every day.