Theater! Center Stage at Pixar Planet

I was Humpty Dumpty in a Christmas play in third grade, (and Caitlin, the girl I’m always talking about, had the lead role in another Christmas play, she played a star. And no, not a movie star, a STAR).

I signed up for classes for this upcoming semester. I’m taking two acting classes to better my acting abilities, and a technical theatre class.

Ooh, I hope they both go well!

Tonight I have a sing through for Rent of every song in the show. I missed the rehearsal in which we learned “I’ll Cover You Reprise” and it is probably my most important number, so I am very nervous to sing it! I had to perform it yesterday when we ran Act 2 and it was meh…

Hmm well I was in The Canterbury tales :smiley: It was so fun! And I was in Seussical the musical too as well as a Cabaret… :slight_smile:

Cabaret! I played Cliff last summer… it wasn’t fun.

I recently played Prince Malcom in a production of Macbeth, and I’m always picked to participate in my school drama class’ improv show.

Ooh very nice! Are you a supersticious one? I am…

So, last night was the opening of my summer show, Rent: School Edition! As many of you know I am playing Tom Collins, an expelled MIT professor suffering from AIDS. Aside from one or two problems, the show went extremely well! During my big number ("I’ll Cover You Reprise), I forgot the words immediately into the song. I just sorta sang what sounded right in my head, and they ended up being the right lyrics wipes sweat off brow. This is one of the most inspiring shows I have ever seen or been a part of and it was just fantastic to be a part of! After the show many people told me I had them in tears :blush:

Tonight is the second performance and I am so excited. I just love the cast so much. Here is to an even better second show!

Apologies for not noticing that this thread was there.

I am a spectator. I have little to no roles in productions. I was just an apple-seller and orphan in a kid production of Annie.

But I studied Theatre Arts Lecture at my school. I was introduced to all sorts of odd, whimiscal art: Japanese plays, Samuel Beckett, Indian theatre, Bread and Puppert theatre, etc. That was the class which got me into Kabuki theatre and Samuel Beckett. We studied playscripts of Marvin’s Room (my favorite), Suburbia (gosh, it’s vulgar), Brighton Beach Memoirs, and the Piano Lesson. These were chosen because they had a film adaptation to make comparisions to. And all those film adaptations were pretty loyal to the plays.

Although I still deeply respect Beckett’s absurd works, I came to terms with the fact that he was just a man expressing pessimism. Kabuki, on the other hand, I continued to love. In fact, it’s the minimalist arts that fascinates me. I take pleasure in watching them on Youtube.

I’m probably more of a playwright person. I have stage fright, can’t speak clearly, can’t sing, and only fit to be a witness.

Oh Waiting For Godot! Samuel Beckett does have some out there stuff :laughing:

So last night wass my third performance of Rent. It probably was our best performance over all, because very few things went wrong. All the technical aspects ran so well. I didn’t think it was my best show though. I felt pretty low energy, and then in my big number, I messed up the lyrics at pretty much the most important moment in the song (when I have to hit a high A, which is indeed really high. A high A# is out of my range). Gah! People told me though that it was indeed my best night, I guess I hit all of my really low notes much better.

Well, Saturday is my next and last performance. I think I might cry…

I watched the tragicomedy Spring Awakening, the musical version, on Internet videos, the qualities are blurry, but does not detract from the performances. I watched both its Off-Broadway performance and a performance from Broadway (with the original cast).

I must say, people complain that it’s about “insipid cliches, teenagers being teenages, a girl’s first time, angst”, I strongly disagree. It’s really about, well, teens growing up in ignorance. And the lyrics, listen to the overall lyrics, just has this secrecy lurking around, it’s not straightforward but you sense what they mean. Steven Sater and Duncan Sheik are easily the best composers on Broadway. The theme stays rather true to the some spirit of the original 1891 play despite changes. It captures both the messiness, beauty, and spirituality of sexual desires. The scenery is limited, the lighting takes over, and hand-held microphones emerges whenever there is a catharsis. Lea Michelle as Wendla and Jonathan Groff as Melchior (yes, that was before Glee) are very emotional performers and capture the essence of rebellion and innocence. But the one to steal your heart is John Gallgaher Jr. as the nervous pressured Moritz. Now note that the musical is very modernized from the 1891 version for our time to relate to- the Deus Ex Machina Masked Man is cut. My only criticisms is that perhaps some of Melchior’s philosophies have been cut and the ending needed to delve more into the consequence of suicide to pay more respect to Frank Wedekind; It wouldn’t hurt if Sater could have made it a little less optimistic. That said, I think the recordings of the 2001 Workshop musical are much better (from a literary standpoint) to listen to than the official musical itself. Or just read the original play. But in response to the translator of the original play who denounced the musical as “insipid”, the musical is very far from insipid and is well deserving of its Best Musical wins at the Tony awards.

I actually need to watch Waiting For Godot. I watch (and own the scripts of) Endgame and Happy Days. And I admit that though Endgame is very pessimistic, it’s still one of my favorite of his tragicomdies.

Congrats on earning such a role Love70ways. I would do anything to sing and act in Rent. Just remember that Theatre Arts can never be perfect but that’s the beauty of it. Even the best Broadway performers fumble, not a little, but a lot. The moments cannot really happen again, and we continue to grow from it.

“No day like today.”

ahaha, this is way late, but thanks! :smiley:
the two new plays for the upcoming year have been announced for my high school, the only one I remember though is Damn Yankees :stuck_out_tongue: anybody been in this before? I honestly have no idea… :angry:

oh- and just yesterday I got the opportunity to see Mary Poppins on tour. Two words, AH-MAZING. I actually enjoyed it alot more than the movie, I don’t know it just seemed to flow better. I hope you end up going to see it Rac-Rules!

I was in Damn Yankees! It was the first play I ever did with my theater group. I played the character Del; a small role, but one of the ball players, so it was still a lot of fun.

Carol: I really love the song from Spring Awakening. Firstly, I’m a huge fan of male ensemble pieces, and I also love the harmonies in it! I have never seen the show, but I’d love to just to play in the ensemble production of it. My drama teacher isn’t too big a fan of the show; he believes it to be self indulgent. Haha! I think he likes the music, though.

And yes, No day but today.

I have been in a couple of productions. . . .
At my elementry school in grade 8 I was in the musical Annie! I had 2 parts a police officer and Rooster ( The Villain)
and this year I am in my musical theater class at my High school and we are either doing Beauty and the Beast or Grease! and in my drama class we did a production of Monty Python sketches and for our exam we had to act in a play.

Very exciting Toy Story Fan! My high school is doing Beauty and the Beast this year, so it’d be really cool if yours did as well.

Here is my cast of Rent singing “Seasons of Love A” for anyone that is interested: [url]The cast of ACTs production Sea of Love - Includes Nick Nudler - YouTube. I’m righ up there in the front; you can’t miss me!

There are other videos from the production. If you would like me to post any, please, feel free to ask.

Love, I’ve never seen Rent, but that song always gives me goose bumps. :smiley:

What did you think of my cast? I hope we lived up to your expectations!

Yes, you did. There were two dudes in the middle. Which are you?

Wait, how did you know I was in the middle?

You said in the front; I assumed the middle. :blush:

Great job, love70ways! Never heard that song before, but it’s pretty nice!