Things that can be improved about Toy Story 3

3D has nothing to do with the film itself. Hence why I saw it in 2D. The daycare isn’t really a stereotype… Pixar studied how kids played with toys at daycare, and even toned it down a little. And I assume the person who wrote that is gay and latino? No? Then shut it.

The Empire Strikes Back was a sequel. Therefore, it must suck.

TS as a series has its good points, as does Bolt, and even the Shrek series has its good points - I haven’t seen How to train your Dragon yet.

TS as a series has layers. If Bolt is like the Truman Show, so is Buzz’s disillusionment. Regardless of how many times Woody tells him he’s a toy, Buzz has to realize it for himself, just as Bolt and Truman have to in their respective films.

As for kids - look at Andy, Bonnie, even Hannah - don’t they love their toys as much as [Miley Cyrus character] loves Bolt? Don’t bring out the Sunnyside kids - they’re, as the Potato Heads say, toddlers and don’t know how to play with toys in a non destructive way yet- at least in the film.

-Omar, who’s a fan of Toy Story series, Shrek series and Bolt.

I just gotta say I thought Bolt was very bland and forgettable. It wasn’t bad by any means, but to compare it to something like Toy Story, or any of pixar movies just seems ridiculous to me. Yes, Lasetter had a hand in it but he’s not perfect, and I actually resent him for taking the project away from Chris Sanders. I know we can’t compare the would be American Dog to Bolt, but I hate that we’ll never know what it could have been like.

As for the 3d, you can take it or leave it. Personally I loved it as it didn’t draw too much attention to itself and pull the viewer out of it. If you want to classify that as tacked on, so be it. That’s how I like my 3D. If you don’t, that’s fine but its not really a valid point against the movie since you can view it in 2d as well. Heck, that’s the only way to watch it at the moment until they release it in 3d blu ray.

I think you mean homophobic? 8D

That was a very insightful analysis, both when it comes to my own points and Toy Story 3 as a whole. Particularly when it comes to the inciting incident scenario. It’s something that I had honestly never thought about.

Regarding villains in Pixar films. As already mentioned, Pixar used to distinguish itself from other studios in that their movies moved away from the classic formula, like dualism with the antagonist, many characters that only exists for comic relief, etc. But with Toy Story 3, and to some point Up, I kind of feel that Pixar has been taking a huge step back. And that realization, together with the unparalleled hype that this movie has generated is what motivated me to post this thread. That being said, Pixar is still my favorite studio on an overall. I just simply enjoyed HTTYD and Bolt more, and felt that they are two movies (particularly Bolt) that have been kind of overlooked.

I’ve been thinking a bit more about Lotso. When I think about it, having Lotso change his mind and saving the toys from the fire wouldn’t work, either. That sort of sudden redemption would seem cheesy, and out of place.

And I didn’t think much about the similarities between Lotso and Woody, and how Lotso would serve as a metaphorical symbol. However, I’m not sure that makes Lotso anymore complex of a character. In some way, Rhino was a symbol for Bolt’s delusions. In fact, his plastic ball was supposed to be a visual metaphor for Bolt’s own delusional, isolated mind. However, it doesn’t make Rhino any less of a shallow, simplistic character.

Anyway, another in this thread made me agree to watch Toy Story 3 again. And I will do that (got it saved on my PC). It might change my mind. :slight_smile:

No need to quote entire post, to reduce board clutter TDIT :slight_smile:

I don’t know which article you are talking about. It’s nothing I have linked to or written.

Well, that’s where we disagree. :slight_smile:

As I wrote before, Bolt has a lot of complex and subtle character development going for it. Particularly its main character Bolt who, in only 80 minutes, shows some remarkable depth in personality. He overcomes his delusions, develops some kind of mental denial but he eventually gives up and decides to trust the other characters to help him.

Bolt’s ability to give up on his pride, expose himself and his vulnerability to Mittens, asking her for help, serves as one of the movies most important values, namely the importance of trust. According to the creator, Chris Williams , that kind of unyielding trust is typical for the canine race.

"if you’re trusting and you give yourself over to somebody, you definitely become vulnerable and you can be hurt. But it’s necessary to take that risk in order to find real fulfillment in life. A dog really embodies that and that’s why we love them”

The theme of “trust” is essential throughout the movie as Bolt must trust not only Mittens but also Penny who he yearns to be with again. Trusting that Penny’s love for him was real and that she misses him is what keeps Bolt going throughout his journey. Eventually, Bolt must learn to trust himself as well, acknowledging his limitations without letting that make him doubt what he is capable of. When Bolt rescues Penny from the burning building, he does so knowing that he does not have any superpowers.

So yeah. Bolt was simply my kind of film. Toy Story 3 was a bit too, ehm, explosive for my taste. Behind the catchphrases and loud annoying side characters, Bolt had some really subtle, complex and deep messages. I just didn’t find any such depth when watching Toy Story 3.

Anyway, I doubt American Dog would have been any better. I’ve actually had contact to Chris Sanders.

Could you elaborate on that? Exactly what do you mean by having contact with Chris Sanders? I’m a fan of the guy (I loved L&S and HTTYD) and I wonder why you say that you doubt his version would be any better than the Lasseter treatment. Have you seen the script, storyboard (to what extent have you seen Chris’ plot)?

Anyway, I’m glad you’re keeping an open mind to TS3, zinem. I’m not pandering to you or anyone. Frankly, I get annoyed when people get defensive or praise a film too much. The same goes with bashing a film, if it had good intentions but was executed poorly, its good points should be commented upon too. Even with my favourites like HTTYD and LOTG, or upcoming ones like Rango and Rio, I add in a criticism or two just to knock it down a notch. This is not because I feel a need to mock a film or anything, but if there’s something wrong or something can be improved about it, I will point it out.

Granted if you really enjoyed a film, it’s alright to say so, but saying TS3 or Bolt, or Pixar or Studio X is the best thing since sliced bread without offering a counter-argument is frankly ignorant or just plain arrogant. I hate one-sided arguments, where X is good, Y is bad. Everything has its good and bad points, nothing is perfect. :neutral_face:

This is not a personal attack on anyone or fans of Toy Story 3 or Bolt. This is my personal philosophy when it comes to criticising anything from movies to politics.

Did I love TS3? No. Did I hate it? Absolutely not. I completely see why you didn’t like it, and part of me agrees with you. But almost everyone loved it, and it is better than Bolt. I likes TS3 better than Bolt. And, personally, I believe Bolt would have been much better under Chris Sanders.

Well, that’s where we disagree. :slight_smile:

I wrote above that I think that Bolt was a more subtle, sweet and sophisticated movie. And that I was thrown off by some of Toy Story 3’s cheap humor. (sterotypes, comic relief characters, etc). Do you think that’s an unfair comparison?

I didn’t like most pf TS3’s humor either. But TS3 mostly wasn’t about the humor. The comic relief was to even out the ridiculous amount of drama it had. Honestly, I disliked the drama much moire than the comedy.

I think the humor in TS3 was necessary to balance out most of the really dark/depressing parts of the movie, because without characters like Bonnie’s toys and Ken the movie would have been too much of a sob-fest to handle. And I think that Bolt just happens to play into your personal taste in movies. Most people find it really forgettable, but if you connected with it then good for you.

I like Bolt. But I like TS3 better, and think it is a better movie.

I wouldn’t say it’s forgettable. I guess that depends on who you are. The dog person in me was mostly charmed with the furry main character from said film. But I’ve met a great many people on the internet that loved this film so yes Bolt has quite a fanbase.

if you google: any film plus sucks, you will find infinite pages, haters are everywhere

I am sure that we will find Monters Inc 2 sucks, Kung Fu Panda 2 sucks, The Dark Knight Rises sucks, How To Train Your Dragon 2 sucks[u]

Google “Toy Story 3 sucks”. Argument defeated = invalid statement[/u]

I didn’t really like it initially, then re-watched twice and it grew on me so I like it abit now.

I agree. When I first saw it, I was shocked and appalled. Almost enough to throw all my toys away! But now I love it.

Wanting to throw away your toys is pretty much the opposite of the feeling these movies should be giving you. Just think of all the toys we’ve sent to the incinerator. :frowning:

I just was so depressed and let down by it the first time. But now, like with FN, I’ve gotten past it. I like it, if a little less than the original two.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

I’ve kept silent about this for months on here (Granted, I mostly keep to the TSC and Replicas threads to begin with), but I also really didn’t like Toy Story 3 for EXACTLY those reasons! For the record, I love the first two movies, but the to me the third just felt tired.

My biggest issue with the movie is Lotso. I don’t understand him or his motivations throughout the movie. IMHO, his backstory doesn’t justify any of his actions.
Think back to the Prospector in TS2. There was way more of a direct connection between his past and what his ultimate goal was. Children ignored him for years, so in his mind, he explained this as there being something wrong with the kids rather than him, and he yearned to be forever protected from their “evil” hands.
For Lotso, that connection is way more vague. He was abandoned by his owner, so he got angry and became evil. The cruelty he experienced was at the hands of his owner, yet he seems to take it out on other toys.
One scene in particular bothers me. When Buzz is captured by Lotso’s cronies, Lotso sweetly lets Buzz go and grants his request to join the Butterfly room. When Buzz wants to invite the rest of Andy’s toys to join them, Lotso explains the younger kids need toys to play with. New toys are asked to do this since they have less years of physical stress under their belt, and when newer toys arrive, they’ll move up to the better room (Otherwise known as “interning”). Upon learning this, Buzz declines Lotso’s offer to move up early to stick with his friends.Then Lotso does a complete 180 and ties Buzz up and resets him. What??? Why does he do that? It makes no sense.
Here’s what happened in a nutshell:

Person A: Can I have a cookie?
Person B: Sure! Here’s an oatmeal raisin cookie.
Person A: Oh, never mind. I don’t like oatmeal raisin.
Person B: Okay. Erase his mind, boys!

Lotso clearly didn’t need the muscle, since he’s got most of the playroom working for him. Buzz posed no threat to Lotso, so much so that if Lotso had let Buzz go back to the Caterpillar Room unscathed, Andy’s toys would still be completely in the dark about Lotso’s true nature. All this does for Lotso, ultimately, is tip his hat way too early.

In terms of character growth, there is one fantastic example of it in TS3: Barbie. She was my favorite part of the movie, and one of the strongest women in a Disney movie in years. She began the movie bawling her eyes out about going to daycare, and by the end of the film, she’s running it along with her soulmate. You see her getting stronger throughout her arch, from not turning a blind-eye to her friends mistreatment, to manipulating and physically restraining Ken to get the gang free, to finally standing down Lotso at the dumpster and proving she knows how to run a democratic society. Barbie is the diamond in the rough of TS3 for me. Based on what Lasseter and Co. say about wanting originally wanting her to be Woody’s love interest in the commentary for the first “Toy Story,” I wish she had been there from the beginning.