Thoughts so far on 2011 Animated Movies?

I should check out Mars Needs Moms to see what the jabber about the story is. It should add another film to my list, so why not? I expect it to be lower then Gnomeo and Juliet.

Ballboi, it was tough to pick a better (or least worse) between those two, which were close. Speaking of updating the list–after yesterday’s viewing of Tintin…

1. Arthur Christmas (very nice but not tremendous)
  2. Winnie the Pooh (short and sweet, but how much hunny can one eat?)
  3. Rio (fun but light as a feather)
  4. Rango (excellent for two acts, diminished by the third)
  5. The Adventures of Tintin* (a fun and cool ride, somewhat hampered by technical details)
  6. Gnomeo and Juliet (fun, with a weak ending)
  7. Mars Needs Moms* (better than its reputation)
  8. Hoodwinked Too! (not awful, but easily the bottom of the 2011 barrel)

[ * = motion capture…I don’t consider it animation, but others might]

I see. I’m not really in a rush to see it but at least I’ll give it a shot.

I only saw 3 last year :neutral_face: :

1.Rango
2.Arthur christmus
3.Cars 2 (i liked it,but not up to Pixar’s standards)

I have Mars need moms on DVD,just haven’t got round to seeing it yet. I must buy Rio at some point too.

Mars needs Mom’s didn’t look good to me. I could be wrong but it looked like a movie just for children.

Anyone fancy starting a “Thoughts So Far On 2012 Animated Movies” thread? I’ve seen 2 already! :slight_smile:

Great mind’s think alike. I was thinking of saying that. :laughing:

I don’t know, maybe we should wait to this summer. But if everyone else want’s to, someone can make one.

I agree with David. We should wait until the summer to make one for this year when more films are released.

This topic was made in August. So arounf there, maybe a little bit eariler.

I would say around there, possibly after Ice Age 4 gets released.

Had to look that up. This July then.

Yeah. Around then is when I’ll probably make a thread for this year.

Okay. A mod will also need to lock this one up.

Yeah. A mod could lock this if they want since were already a month into the New Year.

Yeah, I guess that’s pretty fair. Until then we’ll probably have threads for individual movies that are coming out in spring, such as The Lorax.

Personally, I think this thread should stay open until at least after the Oscars, because I may want to discuss them.

Yeah, you’re probably right about having a new thread in summer. I don’t think this thread should be locked before then.

The other thing is that many movies haven’t been released on DVD yet, such as Puss in Boots and Adventures of TinTin. I consider my list of 2011 movies still incomplete. :slight_smile:

The Adventures of Tintin comes out on DVD on March 19th (in the UK at least) and Puss In Boots comes out on April 2nd (I assume that’ll be earlier in the US). So it has to sort of be mid-year because by that time all of the 2011 films will have had DVD releases :slight_smile:.

The DVD release date for Puss in Boots is different in America, probably because it was released before here. It comes out in two weeks from tomorrow.

I’ll rank the ones I’ve seen:

1. Cars 2
    I thought the animation was good, like the part when Holley and Finn were going up that elevator thing at the party in Japan. They looked so shiny and real! There were more characters I really liked in this one more than the first one. In the first one, there was Red, and in this one, there were Red, Francesco, and Finn.

2. Kung Fu Panda 2
    I like the action and setting. I also love the characters. I love how they portray a snake as a good character (Viper).

3. Rio
    I love birds, so that’s enough.

4. Rango
    I thought the characters were cute. I didn’t like how it was kind of dark, and how they portayed a snake negatvely. He’s not really the villain, but I still feel like it was negative.

5. Gnomeo and Juliet
    It was interesting and a cute variation on the story. I also like that Elton John was involved in it, and his music was in it.

I really liked all five of the ones I saw.