Turbo

^Exactly. Usually, I look forward to the odd plots for originality. But this is a…different type of original… 8D

If anyone has Netflix, there’s a 9-minute “Making of” featurette for the film if anyone’s interested. I might be watching it.

I’m still having a hard time getting with this movie, especially with scenes like THIS in it.

WARNING: Link rated TV-14. Viewer discretion is advised.

Upon seeing an actual trailer on DM2 a couple weeks ago, I’m really looking forward to this more and more. It’s looking to be a bit of the Cars films with a bit of Ratatouille, and with adorably cool snails and epic cars! (I mean, I about drooled at all this amazing Indy 500 animation I keep seeing :smiley: ) So the question remains… will I see it in theaters? I’m not entirely sure yet, but the idea of pairing Turbo with Planes as a double feature is almost too irresistible… gotta love the unlikely underdogs, right?

It might just be me, but the look of the movie looks more like a Pixar film than a Dreamworks film; I think it has something to do with the snails’ eyes.

Here’s a fun fact about snails: they’re actually hermaphrodites, so when two of them have sex, they get each other pregnant.

I know what you mean. You’re right. The typical DreamWorks jokes are there, but I wonder if the look was coincidental or kind of intentional. It looks like they might be replicating “that look” just a little. And actually, I think I did hear about that one fact from somewhere!

On the topic, it’s interesting how Samuel L. Jackson (Frozone’s voice) plays Whiplash. I wonder how this’ll turn out. I honestly don’t have a great clue, yet.

Goodness, I think Albinotankui is right! They do have Pixar-y looking eyes! That, plus the voice of Frozone, the racing stuff that gives it a Cars and the Ratatouille-ish premise… huh… I have to wonder… what’re you up to, DWA?

I’m not really excited for this movie. It seems like Shark tale part two to me. Maybe it’ll be good though, I haven’t made up my mind obviously. Pixarfan: is that really in the movie?

At least it doesn’t appear to have Will Smith Fish in it.

God, that’s disgusting.

Everything in that movie is. Even Nostalgia Critic think so. :sunglasses:

I think most people think so, including me. There are Shark Tale-y elements about it. Even if this is not good, I doubt I’ll dislike it more than that film, and definitely not as much as Antz. But I won’t know until I see it, which I doubt will be for at least several years. By which I mean, I only see films that are on my priority list, and the others I either get to much later or will never get to. I kind of don’t want to watch every film ever made.

Yeah, it would be hard to sink beneath Shark Tale. And I don’t like Antz either! I don’t see why most people do. I found it boring, and Z annoying.

Hah, did you mean to do that? I think the movie’s really obnoxious and irritating.

Also, A Bug’s Life FTW, dumb rip-off Antz! (I’m sorry fans. :blush: )

Oh, and I think that one graphic clip of the snail being smashed is in the movie. Or at least I saw it in a promotional video.

^Shark Tale was ok, but not the greatest movie ever. I didn’t hate it, but I’m sure I really liked it all that much either. Haven’t seen Antz, and I sure don’t intend to; sticking with ABL, too. Gahhh would you listen to me?! I’m being negative!! So sorry! Anyway, I’m still thinking of seeing Turbo… the only thing holding me back is the money to see it when I still have Planes and Frozen to see… :frowning:
I read a really good article on the making of it on Animation Magazine. Not sure if this’ll change anyone’s presumptions, but it definitely got me more interested.
animationmagazine.net/featur … t-mollusc/

Earlier I read an article about Bill Damashcke(sp?) and I have to say, I’m disgusted that Pixar would publicly point out the “similarities to Cars”. I thought they were above that for some reason.

Just want to say this before I address my real concerns at the moment: The director of Turbo was the head of story on Shark Tale, so perhaps that explains some of the similarities? I still think this will be at least the slightest tad better if not more.

Obsessed: I’m sorry if I sounded overly negative about Antz or Shark Tale. My dislike for Antz is stronger, but those are the only two DreamWorks films I will ever sound merciless towards. They’re the ones I care for the least. It’s because of how they stole Pixar’s ideas, and on top of that, are not good stories in my opinion. I know Shark Tale isn’t a total rip-off although I believe parts of it are, and the rest of it doesn’t appeal to me. And I do know that those were the old days, not the present. And I may have just gotten carried away. However, it’s not bad that you shared your opinion and it wasn’t a very positive one. You were just telling the truth, you didn’t sound mad or anything at all. Overall, they’re just not that great to a lot of people, including us. On the other hand, I don’t really like down-talking either, so I’ll try and follow your model, and resist that as much as I can. Sorry about that.

Virginia, is that true? :open_mouth: I found something that said a Disney spokesperson, one guy, had no comment. I didn’t see anything about Pixar. As long as John Lasseter didn’t sound accusatory, I’m good, although I’m not saying he wouldn’t have reason to. Only time other than Antz that I remember Pixar addressing something like this was with Rio. However, that time I thought Pixar was explaining that they didn’t want to cheat Blue Sky with Newt despite they didn’t copy the idea. I think Pixar likes Blue Sky, whereas they had been uncomfortable with DreamWorks for the longest time. I don’t always trust the media.

Is it possible you might be able to locate it? If not, don’t worry about it. I was just curious.

But I hope Pixar didn’t slash at DreamWorks like that. I hope it was just a misunderstanding from the article writer…

You cn read about it in this article. Interesting article, but that made me disappointed in Pixar. I thought they were more mature I guess. It’s only referenced once, though. It isn’t the focus of the article. I would recommend the article anyway.

nytimes.com/2013/07/16/busin … ted=1&_r=2

Thank you for the article. But I’m still confused…

If it was about the Disney spokesperson, all I got from it was that he represents Disney which owns Pixar, and that the Disney spokespeople thought it was too similar too Cars. Pixar owns Cars, but they don’t own the Disney representatives. Plus, I don’t know if the writer was stating an actual fact or speculation to sound like a fact. I’m don’t totally trust that part for sure. If the Disney spokesperson said that, then I don’t see the point in the article stating he had no comment. Maybe I’m missing something here. I still don’t see where Pixar is to blame, though.

^No problem, LQ! Considering all the DWA films I’ve seen, Shark Tale’s probably the one I like the least. I was more surprised that I was being negative, since I’ve been impressed by a number of DWA’s films recently and I have good hopes for Turbo. Don’t worry about it, your opinion about it’s right on the ball.

Alrighty. Thnanks for understanding, OWP. :smiley: DreamWorks has only been making good films especially in last years, so they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Even if this isn’t one of DreamWorks’ best, I think I’d find it watchable. It doesn’t look horrible. Silly at worst, but not in a bad way, likely enjoyable. Still though, I probably won’t be able to see it for a while.

I still don’t understand what Pixar said wrong against DreamWorks regarding this movie.