UP Parody on the Simpsons

Thirded! :smiley:

Honestly, I thought that was hilarious! I know, I’m a little cruel to think it was hilarious, but still… It"s very rare that they put in a Itchy and Scratchy cartoon nowadays, and this one is now in my top ten of all the ones they’ve done!

Well I wasn’t offended, but I thought it was in “bad” poor taste (as opposed to “good” poor taste, which to me is perfectly acceptable) to parody that scene, because more than anything else, there was no humor. I just found it completely unfunny (the way I feel about The Simpsons now anyway).

For instance, you could have two Itchy & Scratchy cartoons:

(1) A blathering gasbag of a politician making a self-important political speech, and Itchy takes out a machine gun and blasts him as he yaks and yaks self-importantly.
Or
(2) A mother holding and nursing her baby, and all of a sudden Itchy takes out a machine gun and sprays them both with bullets.

From just a sheer humor point of view, which do you think is funnier?

Even having, for instance, Russell offering a giant Snipe-shaped Itchy some chocolate, then having Itchy-Snipe try unsuccessfully to eat and swallow the rotund Russell (maybe having to finally cough him up like a hairball) would have been 100 times funnier than what the “writers” did here. All they did was cut-and-paste a very emotional scene and basically just kick it down. That’s not funny. And I don’t mean it as being offending. It’s simply not funny.

More than anything else, I thought it was a good example or how far the Simpsons have sunk over the years. If you’ve never seen the earlier seasons (like 1-4) you won’t know how good they were then, as opposed to now where it’s nothing but dumb, unfunny, and unchallenging humor (Homer hitting his head a dozen times in a row). For anyone who still watches the Simpsons, do yourself a favor. Stop watching and use the time to find the old episodes from the first 4 seasons or so, and watch them instead. You’ll be glad you did.

I actually enjoyed the parody. My sister thought I was watching Up, because of the music.

I still don’t see how that’s funny.

You really hit the nail on that one, miafka! Couldn’t have said it better.

I’m really disappointed with The Simpsons recently. Instead of providing brilliant social commentary like they did with earlier seasons, now they seem to be spoofing pop-culture and resorting to cheap slapstick jokes. I was cringing when they ran a promo for the Glee episode last week. Has it really come down to cameos and guest stars? And when they get really desperate, they resort to the brand of absurd surrealism that is the hallmark of Seth McFarlane shows.

Spoofing pop-culture, slapstick jokes, and absurd surrealism can be hilarious if done right. You only have to watch Airplane, Modern Times and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen to realize that. Provocative humour can also work if it serves a higher purpose (like any Sacha Baron Cohen character, including King Julien).

Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad and its ilk have the misconception that by being as ludicrous or insulting as possible, they can be funny, but as we see here, that’s not always the case.

Just saw it…

It just wasn’t funny. And yes they simply cut and pasted the scene. With a machine gun tacked on and a vacuum cleaner. The only thing original at all was making the clouds into Pixar characters.

It’s one of the few parts of the movie I actually liked really too.

I’m not offended at all, except at the fact that they think people would thing this is amazing when they put no real effort in it at all. It’s like they got bored or ran out of ideas and decided ‘Hey Pixar= great ratings with no real work whatsoever on our end!’

I also agree there were different things they could have done in a parody. I am expecting violence for the sake of violence, but they made no use of the potential scenes- like for instance getting… I don’t know, Scratchy crushed by the house or the balloons resulting in some accident as mentioned.

There seemed no point in using Up as a parody for this at all. They didn’t make use of the settings or movie they were parodying in any real way. It was just a rip off of a montage with machine guns.

I loved the Wall-E, Mike and Buzz cameos :laughing: