Up Pixar References

I thought that as well cakeofages-good job

Now I’m not sure if this is true or not, but I’ve been thinking about this when I saw it… So if anyone would also like to check, you can clarify.
But anyways, I realized the pictures for “Shady Oaks” retirement on the brochures and the van looked oddly familiar to the park from Geri’s Game.
It kinda makes sense when you think of it, considering both films are about an old man. Perhaps the park Geri was in was part of Shady Oaks.

It definitely looks so. Same lighting and everything. It’s logical too that they wouldn’t build a whole new set for something that’s onscreen for 3 shots or so.

That may be it!

I knew there was something about the pamphlet that look oddly familiar…

There is a DISNEY (not Pixar) reference in UP, but I figured I’d just post it here instead of making a whole new thread just for the one post. Besides, Lassiter is in charge of Disney animation now anyway.

[spoil]The frog that Carl hits (thinking it’s an alarm clock) is the frog from Disney’s upcoming “The Princess and the Frog.”[/spoil]

This was hammered home, because right before seeing UP for the second time, they ran the extended trailer for[spoil] “Frog” and in the trailer you see it croak just like you do in “UP.”[/spoil]

Possibly. I saw that too and also wondered it…

but while we’re on the topic of Disney references…

[spoil]There is a Mary Poppins picture on the wall that Carl’s and Ellie’s chair has the back turned to. It’s not a picture-picture, it’s more like a photo with simple figures such as a triangle, for her skirt, and a half-circle, for her umbrella top, a square for torso and a circle for the head.(:[/spoil]

[spoiler]In the Adventure book (and on page 29 of the Art of Up book) a cut out of a Charles Muntz newspaper article has text near the picture that mentions Linguini and Gustea.

Also I think that Charles Muntz’s name refers to Charles Mintz who basically stole Oswald the Lucky Rabbit from Walt Disney in the late twenties.[/spoiler]

hey, i noticed it that too!

Oh wow really? I’ll deffinately have to look out for that if I see it again! :smiley:

I noticed today that there might actually be 3 Pizza Planet trucks. I noticed a possible one when [spoil]Carl is hanging Russell from his house with bedsheets. There’s a top-down view with some traffic below, and about 3/4 of the way down on the right side, there’s a car changing lanes. There’s a suspicious yellow truck nearby that just might be the culprit.[/spoil]

I’m not totally sure about it, but It looks like it’s got the ship on top from what I remember, and it’s pretty far from the first truck sighting (10 minutes or so) so it just might be! I’ll see if I can get Lee to respond to a twitter post (Hannahmation did, so it’s worth a shot!) about it.

No one’s mentioned this one so far, so if I’m right, SWEET!! FIRST DIBS![/b]

Like I said on the last thread:

On the “Opening Weekend Surprise” video for Up on the Disney website, Jonas Rivera says “[the Pizza Planet truck] is actually in the film twice.”

home.disney.go.com/events/surprise/

It’s the third video on the list. So it pretty much can’t be that.

(Jonas Rivera is the producer of Up.)

But did he work on the film? Is he participating enough in the production so much so that he is qualified to determine the total numbers of Pixar Planet trucks? He could provide a part of the funding and still be a producer.

Though it could be argued that Pixar would send an experienced member of the staff that has knowledge of this kind of info to represent this kind of presentation, that is but a speculation lack of evidence. Moreover, if that theory is true, wouldn’t Pixar send an animator, a writer or, even better, the director who are much more knowledgeable about the film’s Easter Eggs than some mere producer?

Another argument that could be raised is that, assuming this producer asked the Pixar staff about the number of times a Pixar Planet truck appears, they might have been mistaken about that number, though that’s a speculation that denies the speculation of Pixar staff members being unlikely to be mistaken about this kind of thing. But, even directors miss out on certain aspects of their films in certain occasions. I wouldn’t be surprised if the director of Up does the same.

Whatever’s the case, it is, as you said, ‘pretty much’ can’t be that. Till Pixar proves ffdude1906’s speculation otherwise with some hard evidence, it still stands as a possible reference.

~ Flare

Bah, that’s some really arduous wording there Flare, XD I get the idea. He’s basically saying that he might not have been involved enough, and even if not, it could have been a misquote, or just not accurate. Hopefully I’ll get a response from Lee, but twitter’s low character limit makes it a bit harder to specify my question, :\

There’s also the fact that I plan to see Up again, so I can just keep an eye out for it.

Btw, there’s a Luxo reference that I saw unconfirmed on wikipedia. Carl’s prescription bottles say Luxo Drug on them, it’s really only visible when [spoil]his alarm clock goes off right after the opening[/spoil], so you’d have to see the movie to catch it, not in any released pics. I can indeed confirm this.

Well, after going again, I’m sad to say that I’m pretty sure it’s not a Pizza Planet truck. There is a yellow truck with some stuff on top, but it’s not close enough. Bummer, I though I hit the jackpot. Oh well,… :\

And btw, [spoil]the truck in question was the one actually changing lanes[/spoil]

I recognize Jonas’s name from the credits. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry about the double post, but I may have been mistaken…

It still might be a Pizza Planet truck. I know exactly where to look now, and I got a longer gander at it today. The color scheme on the truck points to yes, it’s even got the white part on the back, and a bit of red on top. I’m hoping the blu-ray will be able to clear this up. (that’s a LOONG time though)

I dunno whether this has been mentioned, and it’s not in the film per se, but in the earliest promotional picture (the one where Carl opens his door to flying biplanes outside his house), the title of the newspaper he’s holding is “The Municiberg Herald”. If you know your Pixar geography, that’s the name of the ‘city centre’ in the Incredibles universe!

Here’s a high-res pic where you can see the paper’s masthead. :wink:

2.bp.blogspot.com/_dS9o2xQUbsU/S … 0-h/Up.png

:o:O:O Why TDIT pause I didn’t know that! Wow! It’s been a long time though! Thanks for sharing.

Oh wow, nice eye there TDIT! Thanks for that image as well, I might use it as my wallpaper! :smiley: I didn’t know there was one that high-res on the internet! Awesome!

Actually I posted about that on Twitter a month or two ago. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, not an Up reference, but in the Toy Story 3 trailer Hamm is reading the same newspaper when he passes by.

Ah, you beat me to it! Then again, you posted it on Twitter and not here. :wink:

Interesting about the TS3 trailer. Can’t wait to see it!