Up: Simlarity with Ratatouille

Did anyone else notice this?

“Up” and “Ratatouille” open the exact same way. They both begin with a biographical program on a major character that sets up a major aspect of the story. With “Ratatouille”, its Gusteau’s restaurant being disliked by Ego, and for “Up” it was Muntz being stripped of honor with his suspicious discovery. And to top it off, they both seem to give hints to the whole theme of the story. “Ratatouille”'s intro ends with Ego saying he doesn’t think anyone can cook - setting up the plot and theme. Likewise, “Up” shows Muntz flying off in his blimp with the narrator cheering him on his adventure. I swear Pixar was up to something and tried making a giant allusion to each film. There’s no WAY this could just be coincidence.

Same thing with The Incredibles.
I believe Pixar said that their intros are similar in that fashion.
[spoil]In my opinion, Up pulled it off the best because it had the main character there from the start, so it doesn’t feel separate from the rest of the movie as it is connected with the character.[/spoil]

I noticed a similarity between WALL-E and Up: WALL-E ends with “Down to Earth” and next comes Up!

I noticed the similiar intros, and with Up and Wall-E, I noticed that they both have [spoil]an air/spacecraft of some sort tilting to the side and somehow helping the protagonists[/spoil]

yeah. i noticed that too…but the newsreel intro is kinda cool.

I love how Pixar uses newsreels in a silly way, to highlight the ridiculousness of those old news films. :smiley:

[spoil]I promise to capture the beast and bring it back ALIVE![/spoil]

Edited for spoiler content. – Mitch

I think I was the only one who laughed at that in my theater; just the redundancy of that line. :laughing:

Yeah, there’s a lot of jokes in the movie that I feel like don’t get that much appreciation, and I’ve been with a lot of different audiences. That particular line does seem a bit ignored, and it’s pretty funny. :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t notice that many similarities with Up, but I’ve only seen Ratatouille once. Maybe I’ll notice it when I watch it next week.

There was a similarity with Finding Nemo. What similarity, you ask? Well, let’s just say… [spoil]To get to Muntz’s blimp, go through the trench, not over it.[/spoil] :wink:

Hehe, good catch. I noticed the 3d is particularly screwy at that part of the movie. Same for anyone else?