Up: Simlarity with Ratatouille

Did anyone else notice this?

ā€œUpā€ and ā€œRatatouilleā€ open the exact same way. They both begin with a biographical program on a major character that sets up a major aspect of the story. With ā€œRatatouilleā€, its Gusteauā€™s restaurant being disliked by Ego, and for ā€œUpā€ it was Muntz being stripped of honor with his suspicious discovery. And to top it off, they both seem to give hints to the whole theme of the story. ā€œRatatouilleā€'s intro ends with Ego saying he doesnā€™t think anyone can cook - setting up the plot and theme. Likewise, ā€œUpā€ shows Muntz flying off in his blimp with the narrator cheering him on his adventure. I swear Pixar was up to something and tried making a giant allusion to each film. Thereā€™s no WAY this could just be coincidence.

Same thing with The Incredibles.
I believe Pixar said that their intros are similar in that fashion.
[spoil]In my opinion, Up pulled it off the best because it had the main character there from the start, so it doesnā€™t feel separate from the rest of the movie as it is connected with the character.[/spoil]

I noticed a similarity between WALL-E and Up: WALL-E ends with ā€œDown to Earthā€ and next comes Up!

I noticed the similiar intros, and with Up and Wall-E, I noticed that they both have [spoil]an air/spacecraft of some sort tilting to the side and somehow helping the protagonists[/spoil]

yeah. i noticed that tooā€¦but the newsreel intro is kinda cool.

I love how Pixar uses newsreels in a silly way, to highlight the ridiculousness of those old news films. :smiley:

[spoil]I promise to capture the beast and bring it back ALIVE![/spoil]

Edited for spoiler content. ā€“ Mitch

I think I was the only one who laughed at that in my theater; just the redundancy of that line. :laughing:

Yeah, thereā€™s a lot of jokes in the movie that I feel like donā€™t get that much appreciation, and Iā€™ve been with a lot of different audiences. That particular line does seem a bit ignored, and itā€™s pretty funny. :stuck_out_tongue:

I didnā€™t notice that many similarities with Up, but Iā€™ve only seen Ratatouille once. Maybe Iā€™ll notice it when I watch it next week.

There was a similarity with Finding Nemo. What similarity, you ask? Well, letā€™s just sayā€¦ [spoil]To get to Muntzā€™s blimp, go through the trench, not over it.[/spoil] :wink:

Hehe, good catch. I noticed the 3d is particularly screwy at that part of the movie. Same for anyone else?