Up Tempo

Thanks for explanation behind trailer music, miafka. =)

thedriveintheatre - I’m not sure if this is one of the tracks you were wanting, but on the Aussie version of the Up website they have one of the tracks from the earlier trailers played as background music on the site. I’m pretty sure it’s stock trailer music (probably in existence before the Up recording sessions even began) and not written by Michael Giacchino, but if you wanted to record the music through your soundcard, or wanted a copy of that music from me, the best version of the track is on the ‘downloads’ page, with doesn’t have any sound effects, as long as you don’t scroll your mouse over anything.

Didn’t know where to ask this, so I thought this thread would be the best.

Who sings “The Spirit of Adventure”? From the soundtrack?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Hi, Simon-Simon! Turns out his name is Craig Copeland. (It was a big mystery to a lot of us!) Check out the thread linked below.

[url]The Spirit Of Adventure song.]

That thread also has a link to another thread about the Soundtrack, with more interesting info. There is also a link to some behind-the-scenes video of the recording session. I love the song! :smiley:

Oh thank you so much karly05, so sorry I missed that thread! I’ll check it out right away! Thanks for the help :smiley:

It can be hard to find the old threads sometimes, once they go down the page a-ways. :slight_smile:

Not really anything new, but it’s funny, I didn’t even notice this the first two times seeing the film but noticed it today upon seeing Up once more for the 3rd time:
the orchestra personnel aren’t listed in the closing credits, but there is a line in the MUSIC credits that thanks us, saying: “Special thanks to the orchestra for bringing the music to life.” I guess that’s not so bad.

A shame most people leave during the credits; they never get a chance to hear the song at the very end of the movie.

It’s a hot day here and maybe that helped, but considering the film has been out for 3 months already, it was a pretty good crowd still for the afternoon showing (between 1/3rd and 1/2 full).

I agree with miafka. Those songs are awesome. I got goosebumps with Married Life (eventually, crying), Up With End Credits, Up With Titles, Seizing The Spirit Of Adventure, The Small Mailman Returns, The Spirit Of Adventure…err…lots of it! I guess I should write down the whole track from the movie, though! :smiley:

Thanks for the music guys!

My faves are Married Life, Up with End Credits, and Up with Titles, and Carl Goes Up. Up with End Credits is the best score I’ve ever heard. It’s better on the soundtrack, there’s parts that aren’t in the movie (being the most beautiful parts, regrettably)

The whole score is so darn good.

I kept an eye out for the special orchestra message on my second viewing, and that was really nice that Pixar added in a thank you to the musicians, miafka. Maybe some people from Pixar have been reading your threads in the past where you mention that the musicians are never credited?

Shock horror! I have a question: the recording of the music used [spoil]from Carmen[/spoil] towards the beginning of Up, do you remember recording that in the Up sessions, or is that a recording pulled out of the archives? That would be cool if you did indeed record it and it does sound fresh to me. Thanks miafka!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read above where you said that it was Michael’s arrangement, so you probably did record it in the Up sessions. Well, it sounds great anyway. :wink:

Nah, I was more after the one that plays after 1:01 in the teaser.

And I don’t know whether anyone has posted this before, but if you guys are interested, the track is Adventure of a Lifetime from trailer production house Two Steps From Hell. I’m really glad to have found it (Thanks to CraigoProductions who mentioned in the comments). Love the french horns and violins, so uplifting!

I’m so happy, this music makes me feel like flying! :smiley:

Yee-uh! Thanks so much for that track, thedriveintheatre. When listening to it, it makes me want to say “So long, boys! Pfffft!” ;-p How’d ya find it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read where you found out about the trailer music production company. I should really read posts more thoroughly. Heh.

You may have stumbled onto something here… apparently Two Steps from Hell is the one-stop shop for trailer music, at least for Pixar. And LOOK here’s the music used in the WALL-E trailer, woop! I’ve been wanting to know where that music was from for such a long time. You should recognise the music used in the main WALL-E trailer in that video from 1:18 onwards. wipes tear What a great find! :smiley:

Have you ever played a session for any of the TSFH recordings, miafka? They seem like they’d be just as fun to play as any movie recording… if not more fun because they are very thematically condensed pieces.

Likewise. That is indeed the end music for the Wall-E trailer! :open_mouth: Gawsh gee willikins, I discover something new every day! Thanks Rachel! :smiley:

Thank heavens I can listen to the soundtrack for Up, since I’m still waiting for the Swedish premiere!

And I mean I’m at lost for words, it is so beautiful I can’t even begin to explain it!

Thanks everyone! :smiley:

Yes, we indeed did play it in the sessions. If I remember right, I think Tim made a joke saying something like “now… this might sound a little familiar…”

I’ve done occasional movie trailers before (they’re usually called as just 1-hour sessions), but as far as I can remember, not for them.

PS: I actually had a question asking if the same version of “Carl Goes Up” is used for both the Up Soundtrack and the “Disney/Pixar Greatest Hits” CD, and posted it on the Up Soundtrack thread (before seeing there were new messages here)… so please have a look there as well.

I think it would be nice to have just a little post-script to this thread, since it covered the scoring of Up from the beginning to its release.

As most of you probably know by now, Michael wound up winning just about every award there is for his score to “Up” – two Grammys, a Golden Globe, a Critic’s Choice, a BAFTA… and finally last week, the Oscar. At a session shortly before the Oscars, Michael graciously (and modestly) thanked the orchestra, saying one of the reasons he is where he is today, is by being able to stand on our shoulders. And then at today’s Lost session (the first after the Oscars) it was time for a little celebrating. Michael brought the awards to the session (including the Oscar), and during the breaks let everyone hold them and pose with them (and him) between eating some “Congratulations” cake.

It was a great score for a wonderful movie, and the awards are all very richly deserved. Way to go, Michael! This movie is going to be a timeless classic.

Thank you for telling us about that, miafka! I hope you had a great time celebrating with Mr. Giacchino, and also thank you for bringing us all through the process of how scoring takes place for a Pixar film. You’ve been great in answering our questions and this has turned into quite an amazing thread.

And a final congratulations to Mr. Giacchino! Seems like he’s won everything now. :laughing:

Hi everyone,
does anyone know here I can buy the orchestral score for the Up movie?
Thanks
Alex

It’s only available online, unfortunately. It’s a pretty controversial topic.

You can get it on Amazon and iTunes.

Unless of course, you are talking about sheet music - you can buy that as a hard copy. halleonard.com/search/search … acchino+Up

Oh, and miafka, I’ve haven’t noticed a thread about TS3 yet - are you doing any work on that film? I heard there was something at Skywalker ranch last week about it…

Thanks for checking, 3PO. I already visited the Halleonard site but did not find what I was looking for. I’m trying to find the sheet music for the orchestral score of the soundtrack for Up. Instead, I’ve only found piano, string, and choral arrangements. Specifically, I’m looking for “Carl Goes Up”. I would like to sequence it on my computer so that it plays the score using an orchestra synthesizer. I’m new to sequencing but I’ve been greatly inspired by this score and would like to take the opportunity to learn about sequencing and orchestrating using this beautiful music.