'Up Tour 2009'

Hey everyone, I’ve just completely revamped the project and how it’s going to work. I think I’ve worked out the kinks and if you’re still interested, you can read the new rules here!

Basically, I’ve made it so that ANYONE who wants to do this can. It was stupid of me to want only one fan from each state. I guess I just wanted every state to be represented, but I don’t think that will happen- and who cares if it does! Every Pixar fan should get to take part in this, no matter where they’re from. So I’ve also made it possible for fans outside of the U.S. to participate! I still can’t send the book to you, but you can send things in to me and I’ll put them in the book once it comes back from the tour around the U.S…

If you are not a member of LiveJournal, don’t fret! I can make it possible for you to participate if you send me an email at mynameisdug@hotmail.com. If you are a LiveJournal user, please use LJ to participate. It will make things much easier for you and for me. LJ users can sign up here.

I hope everyone will take a look at the project! Thanks for reading, and happy sailing! :wink:

That’s so cool, Hog-Hug! Well done for getting this project off the ground! I’m definitely interested in participating. :smiley: And I love your email address. :laughing:

Hmmm I don’t want to go out and beat fans over the head with a stick to get their attention, but I thought more people would be interested in doing this. I think I need more advertising but I’m not sure what I can do or where I can post. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting more people involved in this? It’s going to be really cool- if I can actually get people involved!

Just noticed this post…what does one need to submit to be credited as “State Fan Work”…i live in Arizona and would like to submit something for this wonderful state…

Well I changed the rules, originally I was going to try to send the book to one fan in every state, but I realized that wasn’t going to work. Instead I’m just going to send the book to anyone who wants to receive it in the mail. Once that fan gets it, they can insert whatever they’d like to show Pixar onto a blank page in the book. When they finish their page, that fan sends the book to the next fan. And then the next, and then the next…

You can email me at mynameisdug@hotmail.com if you want to have the book sent to you, or if you’d like to send something in to me.

The basics for everything you need to know are here: community.livejournal.com/up_tour2009/profile

and soon I’ll be posting news on how to make your pages for the book to that community, and I can email you links to those updates if you’d like.

Hog-Hug - This is such a touching project, and I’m ashamed of myself for not inquiring about it further. Now that it’s been revamped, and now that I have extra time to spare, I’d really love to support this project. (Don’t get me wrong, I would have supported it even if it hadn’t been revamped; it’s just that I was extremely busy for several months).

I’ll sign up for an account on Live Journal and read the rules so that I might participate. Again, wonderful idea! It’s people like you that keep the fandom spirit alive and well. :wink:

– Mitch

I’m still interested in participating. I’d love to send something to you to add to the book. Maybe I could sign up to LJ, since it seems as if there is extra information that is going to be posted in the group for participants and I don’t want to miss out. Then I’ll sign up to the project. I take it I don’t need to sign up until September? Well, just to be safe I’ll sign up within the next month or two anyway.

Really exciting project! :smiley:

If you don’t already have a livejournal account, you don’t have to get one to stay updated.

I AM going to be posting member-only posts to the LiveJournal community, but I can easily send the very same text to non-LJ users via email.

However, if you join LJ and use it for Up Tour, you will probably have more fun with the project and will be more connected to the other fans working on this project.

Also, you DO need to sign up before September if you plan on participating! September is a possible cut-off date, meaning I’m probably going to STOP people from signing up at that time. Even people who want to send things in directly to me. If you plan on sending something in, you should email me (mynameisdug@hotmail.com) and I’ll put you on a list. Eventually I’ll set up a way to share my address with you and you’ll then be able to send whatever you’d like in to me AT ANY TIME.

To paraphrase… It would be helpful if you signed up now, but that doesn’t mean you have to send anything in right away.

Ok, got it. I think I’ll sign up to LJ anyway since it will be easier to keep track of what’s happening and also to be more involved with the Up project community. Plus I’ll get to have a snazzy icon, heheh. Thanks Hog-Hug!

No problem!

Hog-Hug - I finally signed up about a week or two ago. I don’t know why I waited so long…

Out of curiosity, how many people have joined in on your “Up Tour” community project, if I may ask? Personally, I still find it to be highly intriguing, and I hope that you get it off the ground soon. If there’s anything I can do to help, feel free to let me know.

– Mitch

Thanks Mitch! Sadly, not too many. I don’t really know why… I just think we’re not getting enough traffic and that people don’t want to read the rules. It’s disappointing. I’d say we have around ten people now though, so we’re getting somewhere! Do you have any suggestions on how we might get more word out?

I’d like to do this, but I doubt my mom would approve of it. She’d probably expect a bomb instead of a notebook.

Hog-Hug - You’re most welcome! I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been getting in many replies, but ten subscribers isn’t bad! I’m sure it will get off the ground eventually.

Mmm, have you tried deviantArt?

– Mitch

I know I commented on this earlier, but I would like to official sign up to participate! I’ll get an LJ account to be more connected with the idea. Glad you are still committed to this project. It’s a real neat idea! :smiley:

Hey Hog-Hug

I sent you an email because me and LJ just don’t work well together :unamused:

Hope this project works!

Hey!

I haven’t heard anything about this in a while and I wanted to make sure things were going well.

It’s been much too long since I last updated this thread! I’ve just been so busy!

I’ve got some big news guys. I’m now attending the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, just across the bridge from Emeryville. Right now I’m studying illustration (for animation) but may switch over to animation. In any case, THAT’S why I’ve been so scarce! It was very difficult to get my foot in the door but I’m so happy to say I’m finally here studying art at a great school, and I love feeling so close to Pixar.

This project is still on like Donkey Kong, the only problem is now my time is really going to take a hit. Classes have started and soon I’m going to be buried with drawing assignments and portfolio work, but I am DETERMINED to finish this project.

To accommodate my time stress, I decided it would be a good idea to postpone the due date. Instead of aiming to be finished with this for Christmas (boring), I want this to be ready for the premiere of Toy Story 3. If I can get a chance, I’m going to try and show up at the movie premiere, and if I can, I will try to hand the book off in person. If I don’t get the chance, I’ll ride into Emeryville and leave it at the gate. :wink:

Basically what you need to know is, this project is now completely active, and I need people to send in some stuff!

We have some new rules in relation to the new due date.

1. I think a lot of people were afraid of giving out their email and address to strangers, so my solution is… the book’s traveling will all go through me. I’ll send it to someone, and they’ll send it back to me, and then I’ll send it off to the next person. This way there’s no tangled web of personal information being shared. It will take a lot longer than the original plan, but I believe it’s safer this way.

2. Still no overseas traveling! This is more of a reminder than a change, but I don’t want anyone to be confused. But if you’re overseas/ out of the states, you can always send things directly to me.

3. No more signing up! Since I’m doing all of the mailing now, there’s no real need to establish a community. It would have been fun, but there wasn’t enough interest I guess. I’ll still hold group chats if I can, but there’s no need to do anything but EMAIL ME at mynameisdug@hotmail.com if you want to participate.

Once you email me, I’ll respond with my address and a guideline on what to do with the book. You email me a second time with your address, and I’ll send the book to you. You keep it for a couple of days and put your pages together, and then send it back to me!

Any questions? Comment here or email me. If you have something to say to Pixar, this is the perfect chance to express your memories in a scrapbook! And remember, if you’re uncomfortable giving me your address, just email me and I’ll send you MY address so that you can send me whatever you’d like to add to the book.

Tell your friends! I really want to make this special!

Thanks to everyone supporting this project!

Chelsea/ ‘Hog-Hug’

Finally! And wow, that’s incredible that you’re so close! Very amazing my friend.

I do want to point out something that might make this a bit simpler. I’m not sure if Hannahmation is involved in this, but I know Mitch is. She has my address already, so she can send it to me as soon as she’s done with it. I’ll be happy to send it back to you after that, or if Hannah’s in on it, I can send it to her, I’m supposed to get something from her in the mail in a few days.

If you’d prefer to keep it how it’s already planned though, I totally understand, just offering a way to make things a bit easier on you. I can’t wait to see it, and I need to start thinking about what to put in! :wink:

Congrats on getting into the Academy of Art, Hog-Hug! That’s amazing! I’m glad you’re still going through with this project. It’s such a great idea so it’s nice to see it fully realized.

I still want to participate, so I’ll send you an email. Oh, and I’m fine with ffdude’s idea if you want to send it like that.