WALL•E Reviews

oh my GOD i’m so excited!

Review time:

uk.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journ … lid=568567

We got to see it at a press screening. Overall I was not bad. I did a review on it on here. If you want, check it out in my journal. (No spoilers)

[i]So I was one of the fortunate ones to see Wall-E this week. I have to say, for all the hype Disney and Pixar has created for this movie over the last couple of years, it left me wanting more. I have heard it being called Short Circuit 3, and while I can see the similarities, I think there are enough differences to make it stand out on it’s own without any comparisons to ideas already hashed out in the movies. I am only going to relay things about the movie, not what happens in the actual movie.

Now, I love almost all of the Pixar movies. This one stood out in the direction and new ideas of blending reality and animation. They pushed the boundaries where they have never gone before and I was quite impressed with that. Wall-E is quite endearing in so many ways, you almost tend to forget he is just a robot. We found ourselves laughing with him, and getting happy when he became the hero. I don’t think I have ever been so engaged in an animated picture before, let alone a Disney movie.

The story itself was interesting…someone from our group said it was quite offensive to fat people (and you will totally see what I mean when you see it), but I found it offensive to Americans in general. We have been stereotyped in this movie, but the meaning behind it was a good one. I see what the writer/director was trying to accomplish. The question is…will anyone truly see it and make the changes necessary? We see the future as it will become if we continue on the path we are currently taking.

Pixar has truly left me a fan yet again, and for those out there that love a love story mixed with humor and sensitivity , then this is for you. I honestly couldn’t find much fault with this movie, which kind of surprises me, because I can find fault with any movie. I really loved it from beginning to end.

As a side note…the price of admission alone is for the short. Pixar amazes me with their short films at the beginning of every movie, and this one outdoes the rest of them hands-down. It is by far the best short they have ever come up with, and it had the entire audience laughing along. Now, if they would put that one into a full-length feature…that would be something.

9/10[/i]

It’s so great seeing all of the positive comments and reviews about Wall-E already. And I’m both surprised and pleased about your comments on Pixar’s new short, Tannenschnaps. I really can’t wait to go and see both the short and the movie now!

Note: That wasn’t me reviewing Presto or WALL-E. I just gather all the reviews I find on the internet and bring them to this place. :smiley:

The bold title was the message the reviewer wrote on the RT forums. I thought the review needed this as a…headline? :wink:

Ah, sorry, the use of first person confused me. Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing Presto especially! :laughing:

You will have to wait a big longer for my review lizardgirl…I have to wait for September until WALL-E is released in Germany. :frowning:

Man, those are some lucky guys and gals (AICN advanced screening winners):

aintitcool.com/node/37056

I think we can expect many more reviews after June 15…I doubt that those AICN winners can keep their mouths shut. :wink:

WALL-E will be featured on this week’s Ebert & Roeper as an early review. They usually don’t do those unless the movie is really good. I guess they found it that way. :-D) But a bit of a warning to those planning to watch it, they might show additional scenes so beware of slight spoilers.

Dang it, I’m just as excited for Presto as I am for WALL*E :unamused:

All these review keep praising both so I’m double excited.

Thanks for the heads up on Ebert & Roper. I don’t normally have the time to watch them, but will try to catch it this week.

Also, if you all didn’t see it, Sid Philips put up Time Magazine’s review of Wall-E in a separate thread. Pretty nice review.

Michael Phillips’ from the Chicago Tribune gives his mini-review here.

he’s my favorite critic! Thanks, E.S.!

Looking at all of these reviews makes me even more excited for the movies thatn I have ever been! Why can’t it be realeased sooner? I can’t wait!

Ebert and Roeper reviewed WALL-E in their show this week. I couldn’t find something official, just statements of persons who claim to have seen it:

1. OMG I JUST SAW THE REVIEW THEY SAID ITS BETTER THAN FINDING NEMO, and Richard named it the best Pixar movie EVER. Wow!

2. This really is great. Roeper only gave a marginal thumbs up last year for ratatouille, while most people loved it.
So the fact that Wall-e has supposedly been given such a glowing review is indescribable.

I saw this week’s show thinking they were going to review WALL-E (it said so on the program description), but they only showed it as a movie to review next week. They only did The Incredible Hulk, Don’t Mess With the Zohan, The Happening, and a few other films. Are you talking about seeing a taping for the reviews next week?

Oh dear,…

Obviously those people were lying. Sorry about that. :frowning:

Some more people claiming that they have seen the movie. I think this time it’s credible…

chud.com/forum/showthread.ph … 817&page=2

1. [i]Anyone who doesn’t think this is going to be the #1 movie of the summer, hell, of the year does know what’s in store here. This movie is incredible. If it’s not the best Pixar to date, it’s at least right on the same level as Toy Story 2/The Incredibles/Finding Nemo.

Will post more later. But for now, know that this movie is waiting to kick everyone’s ass.[/i]

2. Masterpiece.

imdb.com/title/tt0910970/boa … 057600?p=1

3. [i]Okay, we just got back and here’s my review with minor, but not heavy, spoilers (I’ll post in the other WALL-E forums as well). WALL-E is a very good movie and I enjoyed it very much, but it is not without its faults, so those of you with those massively high hopes may be disappointed.

Here’s my impression: LOVED the first half, thought the second half was just okay. The first half is all about WALL-E and takes place entirely on Earth. We follow him around through a normal work day, watch his quirks and eccentricities, and get to know the guy. It’s very quiet and character driven, but not boring at all; they could have made the whole movie about nothing but a day in the life of this little robot and I’d be happy. It actually reminds me of the first half of I AM LEGEND - we just get to watch the character isolated and all alone, no plot points or anything, and the whole thing is INTRIGUING. The second half? Well, it’s SOOOO very different - literally could have been a completely different movie. It takes place on the space ship and it’s nothing but a 45 minute chase scene. Remember the last act of MONSTERS INC.? It’s EXACTLY like that except probably 15 minutes longer. Pretty much this: Chase object #1 down, save such-and-such, object #1 missing again, such-and-such breaks and needs fixing, save such-and-such again, object missing again…nonstop. What makes it disappointing is that WALL-E is in maybe half of these scenes; the movie stops being about him and focuses in on minor spoilers the humans. And let me tell you, if you’re overweight, you will be offended. In the future everyone is fat, slovenly, and dumb. No human can walk because they are too obese; instead, everyone is wheeled about in a hover-bed where they do nothing but eat and watch television and gab to one another. Yeah. The second half focuses more on the ship’s captain who has “had enough” as opposed to following WALL-E. It’s so weird; it’s like you get a second half to another movie altogether. These humans are so out of place with the rest of the movie and you’re literally disgusted with them, yet by the end of the flick we’re supposed to be “rooting” for these people who have never took a step in their life! I’m still kind of stunned by the turn this film took: from quiet, quirky, and character driven, to action-packed-chase-flick.

It may sound like I dislike it; I don’t, I just think that it started out wonderfully and devolved into your basic actiony kids flick. Personally I’d give the first half an A and the second half a B-, so let’s call it a B+ for all intents and purposes.

Oh, another thing (or two): there are live action actors in this flick. Yeah. Fred Willard (from THE TONIGHT SHOW) is featured prominently, as well as other in-the-flesh actors. In the Earth scenes this works flawlessly because the animation is so photorealistic that you buy it. It’s when we get to the ship that it’s jarring because all the humans there are CG’d. It’s like, “What”? They try to explain this away in a little gag in the Captain’s quarters where the captain walks past portraits of all the ship’s prior captains and each one progressively turns from real to cartoony, but I still don’t get it - why have some of the humans be live action actors and some be CG? It doesn’t make sense to me.

Oh, and the short at the beginning was hilarious - it’s called PRESTO and features a magician and his hungry rabbit.[/i]

The review(s) to end all other reviews:

aintitcool.com/talkback_disp … node/37098

1. “Masterpiece. That’s it. That’s truth in one word. WALLE is a masterpiece. It tells its story with economy, with little dialogue, but there is no question what is going on. It’s like a Buster Keaton silent film mixed with the wonder of the original STAR WARS and the morals of the best fables, except this moral is an imperative one, and one to which we must pay attention. It’s emotional, but not overly so. For children, it is instantly accessible, maybe more so than a film with more dialogue, because it’s from the character’s actions that the story is propelled. WALLE and EVE and the rest of the robots are unique characters and they do it with deeds, not words.” - Nordling

“This film is gorgeous. The scenes in the trailer don’t even approach how amazingly beautiful the film is. I teared up three times during the movie. Twice was due to the story, but one time was just from how amazingly unbelievably gorgeous the film is. And these were scenes I’d seen before at BNAT! Some of them are even in the trailers I’ve seen dozens of times! They were still amazing enough that I cried just from how beautiful they were.” - The Abstruse One

[i]"Thanks to Pixar, I have no choice but to go into wild, unrestrained
hyperbole regarding their new film, the animated sci-fi adventure love
story titled Wall-E. Ready? Here we go.
Visionary. Emotional. Fantastic. A Must-See. A Thrill Ride. Romantic.
Eye-Popping. Incredible. Instant Classic. The best Pixar film ever
made. Let that sink in for a minute.

The best. THE. BEST." - John Gholson[/i]

I wouldn’t say PIXAR has done it again, because honestly… They’ve never ever made a film this great before. Don’t get me wrong - I love love love the TOY STORYS, MONSTER INC, RATATOUILLE and THE INCREDIBLES… but this… This was gasp inducing. But… you’ll see soon enough - and when Moriarty and the rest of us can finally tell you just how astonishing this film is… we will… and when you see it… you’ll tell everyone you know, pretty much the same. This single handedly made me forget every other film I’ve seen this year. I’ve seen WALL*E and I can’t wait to do so again.

BUT KEEP IN MIND:

[i][b]a) Yeah That’s Great Harrybut your opinon means shit since you liked Godzilla 98, Pirates 3, Gone, Jar Jar Binks, Indy 4…and I seriously could go on. you have zero quality taste in movies. you love everything these days and everything is the second coming to you. your reviews are biased and badly written. these are some claims you make about this film. you are saying this is better than: Lion King, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, The Incredibles, and countless others in the history of films Disney as had its name on. ‘and let me know when Elvis gets here’ you are so full of shit. and I hoped the talkbackers let you have it when you are wrong.

b) well after Harry described that bucket of steaming cheap trick turd Cloverfield as ‘genre-redefining’ his opinion is irrelevant to me, and the squirting and blubbering of self ascribed ‘geeks’ in a shared orgasm of cinematic genius also makes anyone with a sense of proportion queasy…having said that…it’s Pixar, this is a great theme for them to explore and I’m sure it’s a fine movie. But the group ejaculations mean fuck all to anyone with a brain.

c) As far as Harrys reaction…Well, that doesn’t mean anything really. The guy cried in wonderment over Indiana Jones, thought the Blair Witch meets Godzilla was a revolution and pretty much goes apeshit crazy for anything he gets a free screening for. He’s like the dude who breaks out the “End Is Nigh!” Sandwhich board everytime a terrorist knocks down a hot dog stand. It will be interesting to see what real people have to say about it.[/b][/i]

Another Forum: rottentomatoes.com/vine/show … p?t=631320
[i]
WALL*E: Just saw an advanced screening, and…

…it is a highly gratifying moviegoing experience.

NO SPOILERS!

I have a buddy at Pixar who hooked me up for a WALL*E screening on the Pixar campus this morning (did the same thing last year for Ratatouille a few weeks before its release). It actually exceeds my expectations set from the trailers, which were fairly hopeful. I’ll try to minimize the giddyisms, but the movie really follows through to the very end. And, like all previous Pixar efforts, the credits are also a delight to behold.

It’s certainly one thing contemplating the idea of a movie lacking dialogue and telling yourself it’s no big thing, but then another watching it unfold. Very tricky balance, sustaining a movie like that. I became a little nervous whether the film could buoy any kind of decent viewer involvement without the serious plot or character insight / momentum you can easily achieve with dialogue. And during this first act, where you’re invited into the curious “mind” of WALLE, carefully exploring this detail-ridden environment he exists in with a kind of bemused wonder, pacing was key in keeping it interesting enough. Through repeated mannerisms and personality traits, you begin to learn about and, well, love, WALLE. I’m happy to say the film never faltered or allowed any boredom to seep in through these opening scenes.

But when WALL*E’s adventure goes spaceward does the film really take off (I was aching to use a bad pun). What follows is the intro to a bigger, more thoughtful storyline, and a colorfully, almost boisterous progression through the story (almost Monster’s Inc.-like), all treated with that classic, deftly-handled Pixaresque hijinks. And, as usual, the movie earns every single perceived storytelling cliche, because it uses them so well, and becomes almost something else entirely.

So, to me it came as expected (satisfyingly so) that WALL*E is frequently hilarious, often charming, irresistably cute, technologically astounding (w/ some interesting live action blended in), and ultimately a huge success. Unexpectedly, it was more affecting than I had prepared for. Just another great story from the wizards at Pixar.

(Am I too vague? Not vague enough?) I’m trying to avoid even some broad commentary that may suggest something about this film that’s spoileresque. Apologies if I revealed anything in the above verbiage.

I will probably need to see it again before I can hew more a more intelligent opinion of this absolutely cosmic film, but for now, it’s safe to say that it’s quintessential Pixar.
9.5 or 10/10[/i]

More more more (the second one is a longer version of John Gholson Review):
I lifeinaustin.blogspot.com/2008/06/walle.html
I give it a five out of five, as Chip would say, it’s a movie I’d pay full price for.

II filmcans.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/wall-e-910/
9 on a 1 to 10 scale

Thanks for posting the reviews… interesting reading.
I picked up Time Magazine this week and saw Time’s review of Wall-E in print (rather than just online). Nicely done, with pictures of Wall-E (and Ben Burtt, and some of the other characters he did sound for, like Chewbacca). Really nice to see it in actual print. Don’t know if it’s in Time International or just the US version. Glowing review though.

As for Ebert & Roper, apparently some listings did have them as supposed to review Wall-E this week, but as you’ve mentioned, they didn’t, but will review it next week instead. I’m actually more curious to read Ebert’s review (it’s been a while since I’ve watched, but I don’t think he’s on his own show anymore because he’s sick… isn’t it just Roper and a guest now?) But I always tended to agree with Ebert more than other critics, so I’d curious to see what kind of review he gives Wall-E in the coming weeks…

All of these reviews about the movie are nothing less than fantastic. Like just when Ratatouille came out, it makes me happy to see a Pixar film doing so well. I really can’t wait to see WALL•E every time I read someone else’s review. A lot of people have said it is the bext Pixar film EVER. Wow. dances

So, I’ve heard unique, better than Nemo, and a masterpiece.

…Better than Nemo alone gets my mind boggling. What kinda wonderful thing is this that will be put in front of my eyes in a little over a week? I’m almost frightened. <3

Of course, it won’t be as amazing if I hit a spoiler while I’m in here, so I’m gonna avoid this thread like it’s diseased from now until the 27th.