Wall-E: The Fan Game ~ DEMO 2 OUT NOW!

I’ve just watched the film again, trying to see where you might be able to fit levels in. The way I see it if you split each characters section into three acts of three stages you’ll pretty much have it covered. I haven’t drawn any stages yet but if you do something like:

Wall•e
•Act 1: ‘Put on your Sunday clothes.’
-Stage 1.1: ‘The Soil Wastes’
-Stage 1.2: ‘The Dust City’
-Stage 1.3: ‘The Lake Bed’
•Act 2: ‘There’s lots of world out there.’
-Stage 2.1: ‘The Axiom Highway’
-Stage 2.2: ‘The Repair Ward’
-Stage 2.3: ‘Define Dancing’
•Act 3: ‘Down to Earth’
-Stage 3.1: ‘The Garbage Airlock’
-Stage 3.2: ‘The Lido Deck’
-Stage 3.3: ‘It only takes a moment’

EVE
•Act 1: DIRECTIVE: PLANT
•Act 2: DIRECTIVE: UNCONFIRMED
•Act 3: DIRECTIVE: WALL•E

I haven’t put stage names in for EVE/MO as I haven’t thought of them yet. Of course I’m not exactly computer savvy so I don’t know how difficult coding 27 levels would be, or how appropriate this plan is to the game you have in mind. But if this seems a good idea I’ll draw up some level sketches for you.

Thanks Halos Nach Tariff, That’s actually very helpful. :slight_smile:
Alright, so I have an update for you guys…

The real Wall-E: The Fan game website is up!

wall-ethefangame.sitesled.com/

It includes a little F.A.Q that should answer some of your questions. If you have more, drop me a line and I’ll add it in the next update. Screenshots and Videos can also be found there.

The forums link actually is supposed to redirect to here, but it seems like Pixar Planet is set as a forbidden external link or something, So I might have to create a forum on Invision free (or I guess it’s called Zeta Boards now…) for it instead.

Anyhow, back to work! :slight_smile:

I like the website, Mygames19. The FAQ is really helpful! As for what M-O could do in the game, I had an idea (though I’m not sure how feasible it is in terms of the game) for him to follow a line of dirt, cleaning it up as he goes along or something to do with cleaning like that. Just an idea. Loving the game so far!

I like the site, much better than anything I can do hah, hah.

I’ve been thinking about Wall•e’s levels and have a brief synopsis for them, I still hven’t finished drawing any yet but I’m working on it. I’ll probably try and draw them on the computer to save my using up tonnes of paper…

Anyway:
•Act 1: ‘Put on your Sunday Clothes’
-Stage 1: ‘The Soil Wastes’
This stage will be pretty similar to what you have now, lots of sand dune interspersed with piles of trash. Wall•e will start on top of a big trash tower like in the film, then there will be a sort of turturial section as to gathering trash and making blocks out of it. Near the end of the level he’ll get some new treads, which increase his speed, and then have to run away from a dust storm back to his truck.

-Stage 2: ‘The Dust City’
Again fairly similar to what you have now, but with a more urban feel, skyscrapers in the background, more enclosed spaces etc. This level will see Wall•e gathering ‘useful’ pieces of trash and will culminate with him finding the Plant and returning home.

-Stage 3: ‘The Lakebed’
When he gets home Wall•e spots the spaceships triangulation laser thing. Half the level is then chasing the laser to the centre of the lake bed. Then EVE arrives and the second half of the level involves following her around, culminating in giving her the Plant.

•Act 2: ‘There’s lots of World out there’
-Stage 1: ‘The Axiom Highway’
You might want to skip the part where Wall•e goes out to get trash only to have the spaceship turn up to retrieve EVE and skip straight to the spaceship arriving. Maybe have somesort of avoidance minigame as Wall•e travels through space. There might be a bit of platforming as he arrives on the Axiom but the majority of this level will be racing around the thoroughfare in the Axiom, ending in the bridge.

-Stage 2: ‘The Repair Ward’
Some sort of platforming/defeating the big claw arms to ‘rescue’ EVE, then running away from the steward bots to the escape pod.

-Stage 3: ‘Define Dancing’
The whole escape pod scene, you have to get Wall•e to escape then a large portion of flying around with EVE before heading into the Lido Deck and up the garbage chute.

• Act 3: ‘Down to Earth’
-Stage 1: ‘The Garbage Airlock’
Some sort of boss fight against Auto at the top of the garbage chute. Then tumbling down into the garbage airlock. Not really sure what Wall•e would do in here seen as he’s pretty smoked at this point. Maybe some sort of platforming section trying to regain charge/find EVE before he gets stuck in a cube of trash.

-Stage 2: ‘The Lido Deck’
EVE rescues Wall•e and MO and all three fly up to the Lido deck, Auto takes control and you’ll have to do some platforming over sliding humans or somesuch. Then a mini-game trying to keep the holo-detector open, maybe repeatedly pressing the up button or something? This stage ends with the Plant in the detector and the Axiom preparing to hyperjump.

-Stage 3: ‘It only takes a moment’
Something of an epilogue stage where you wrap up the story. Seen as how Wall•e has no memory at this stage you might want to do some sort of difficult minigame where you guide sparks from EVE through Wall•e’s circuitry to his CPU? Then a final bit of platforming over green hills.

That’s what I’ve got for Wall•e, I’ll have a go at drawing some up, how long do you want these levels to be? Of a similar length to Sonic’s or shorter?

lizardgirl: Thanks for the suggestion and for the comment on the website. :slight_smile:

Halos Nach Tariff: Wow, that’s some impressive work there! I applaud you for your hard work, and I just might end up putting this on the website. :wink:

Although I need to add some information on some of those suggestions, because there’s gonna be some explanation to it.

Stage 1-1: ‘The Soil Wastes’ : Actually This is exactly what I see coming from this stage. Except the tutorial was a bit vague to me. Programming the Tutorial will be a bit of a task, might take up a chunk of time, but not that badly.
The downfall to the speed increase is there is only so much i can do with this engine. I know I could increase his max speed, but I can’t make the animation of Wall-E change from having beat-up treads to nicer ones easily (Currently I’m not sure how I’d go about doing that without doing something complex.

-Stage 1-2: ‘The Dust City’: Now THAT is what I’m looking for. I know how I’m going to do that and everything, So that idea is going to be executed, 100% sure I could do that.

-Stage 1-3: ‘The Lakebed’: Also what I’m looking for. :slight_smile: I also know how I’m going to do that, as I’ve worked with things like that in a different fan game.

-Stage 2-1: ‘The Axiom Highway’ : Actually, I’m gonna do cutscenes to fill the unplayable spaces, so that’s all good.
Designing the Axiom stages will be one heck of a ride, looking at all the work that will go into something like that. XD

-Stage 2-2: ‘The Repair Ward’: I see that stage mostly as a “avoid enemies shooting at you” sort of stage. Breaking the glass might be made harder too or something.

-Stage 2-3: ‘Define Dancing’: Hmm… I like the idea, but that will involve the creation of a whole new engine just for that one stage. Maybe if I get to that point, I’ll do that. Right now, I’m gonna aim to get Act 1 done.

Stage 3-1: 'The Garbage Airlock: Ya, a battle against Wall-E and Auto is kinda what I’m looking for, although I’m still trying to figure out how I want to do that. I figure a mini-game of sorts will work well for this, press certain key combination’s to avoid Auto’s grasp.

Stage -3-2: ‘The Lido Deck’: Same idea basically, it’ll evolve tons of button mashing and precession. I got it planned out. :slight_smile:

-Stage 3-3: ‘It only takes a moment’: And than that. I was thinking it would be so much easier to make a cutscene to end the game right there, but to even out the stages maybe I will fill it with some kind of Activity. But that’s so far out I don’t think I need to think about it.

We want the stages to take anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes a piece. the speed Wall-E goes max is about 1/3 of Sonic’s, and my Sonic stages usually need to be 20000 pixels wide for Sonic. so I’d try maybe 6000 to 12000 in size, although I know your working with paper.

I recommend grid paper, it makes my job easyer. :slight_smile:
Basically you draw it so that each square is the equivalent of 32 pixels (because my engine is built off of multiples of 8, and most of my platforms are 32x32 in size.) One other thing, Wall-E can’t be more than 700 pixels below horizontally at the begining of the game (when the game enters the stage), otherwise the camera can’t catch up to him and you die. (I can fix this, but I don’t see why I should, seeing as how it does it’s job anyhow, and it would require tweaking a lot of code.)

AND in other news, the title screen is being redesigned to be a lot more user friendly. More on that coming soon enough.

I will be applying for Beta Testers within the next week or so… :wink:

One last thing, Although I like the structure that we are building, I’m thinking maybe just having the player play as a certain character based on where we are in the story (Wall-E would get the main lead though.)

Good suggestions, Halo Nach Tariff!

Congrats on getting the site up and running Mygames19! Maybe you should advertise this in your sig as an image or just a link or something.

I like the level design and stage progressions so far. I can’t wait to see how Wall-E cubes trash, along with the Eve and M-O levels.

Sign me up for Beta testing, please! :smiley:

Thanks, I’ll get started on designing some levels.

The idea of being different characters at different stages could work well, and it means you have to do less heh, heh.

For changing Wall•e’s tracks would it not be possible to change the colour of them from say black to silver? By swapping the Wall•e model for a different one?

For breaking glass did sonic not use to be able to roll through walls? If you have that in your engine you might be able to use that somehow?

I figure it will be easier to plan out stages on the computer seen as then I’s easier to erase it all when I mess it up. S0 I’ll just use GIMP or Paint or something.

Exactly. XD

Hmm, maybe. I could have a different character within the stage altogether, but I couldn’t swap them in the stage without a few errors popping up on screen.

Actually, it wasn’t. XD
But that doesn’t mean I don’t know how to do it, I know how I’m gonna do it, and I will when the time comes.

Works for me. :slight_smile:

I will in a little bit, I’m finishing up some fan art that will end up being that image in my sig. :smiley:

Just wait, I’ll announce when I’ll be recruiting Beta Testers within the next few days.

Alright, just to let you know what’s got do be done before Beta Testing can begin:

* Spindash / Roll needs to be removed. COMPLETED

• A spike bug regarding hitting 0% damage needs to be fixed. COMPLETED
  • The first cutscene needs to be programmed. (Hehheh, ya… That’s not going too well. XD)
    * Sounds need to be more random. COMPLETED
  • Tread sound needs to play when moving both left and right. (How I’m gonna do that IDK, I tried and screwed it up :/) COMPLETED

And in other news, the title screen and part 1 of the intro cutscene is done! A video is coming soon (a faster video, BTW) and it will also be announced on the Game Maker Community.

calling all members! I’m now enlisting TWO beta testers!

So, you wanna be a beta tester? Than here’s what you have to do:

State your username and your hobby/professions.
Tell me if you’ve had experience in Beta Testing before.

Write 1 paragraph as to why you feel you should be a beta tester. (That means I want 3 or more sentences people!)

I will chose two out of those who posted to get demo’s.
By applying to be a Beta tester you have an obligation to do as I say and be able to test the game when I need to and in a timely manner. If for some reason you don’t feel like you could reply within 3 days of me sending a demo, I don’t recommend you applying.

Thanks, and Good luck to you all!

-------OTHER NEWS----------

And for any and all out there, there’s some good news and bad news. Good news is, there is a newer, more accurate video! Bad news, Photobucket won’t let me upload it due to copyright issues, so in order to view it you have to download it. Most of the new footage is of the new title screen, that’s it.

wall-ethefangame.sitesled.com/wa … tional.flv

Also, I forgot that I can’t post this on the Game Maker Community forums until there is a demo, so that will have to wait.

At this rate the first public demo may be out by next weekend. :smiley:

I would love to beta test but unfortunately I’m going away for three days, so unless you’re not sending it out until Wednesday or so, I’d be unable to play it and get back to you.

Actually, that’s fine. I see you getting a different position. Would you like to have content management? The rules aren’t as strict, but you will be doing something different.

specificity, It could be one of two things. I could send you names or graphics and ask you if they fit well into the game. Or I may ask you to produce a name or graphic because I’m no good at it.

If you don’t want to do that there is also Level Designer, but I warn you that one’s a bit more taxing, because you have to create levels in a reasonable amount of time after I ask for them, and it needs to be good.

So ya, there are other openings if anyone wants them. :slight_smile:

Also, I just watched Wall-E With the fan commentary by Mitch, Lizardgirl and (qxgnxamy I believe…) And I noticed during the end credits someone mentioned how they would love to see a computer game based off of those 8-bit graphics in the credits, and I started laughing. That’s exactly what I’m doing now XD

I figure doing a fan commentary could be fun, I’d like to do it when I have the time to. :slight_smile:

I’d love to beta test, Mygames19, but time is an issue. This is obviously a project that you’re working very hard on, and so I wouldn’t like to be given this oppurtunity only to let you down. But I’m sure there are plenty of other people on here who would love to beta test your game! :smiley:

lizardgirl: The time thing was me being rather strict. The only time I can see me needing a beta tested within the next 3 days is now, I’d like to start ironing out bugs on Wednesday if I can find some beta testers. You wouldn’t be letting me down, I’d just start wondering why you haven’t had replied yet.

I know plenty of people would love to beta test, and yet for some reason I’ve got no applications. Maybe I should come at this with a different approach…

Oh, here’s one.

Wanna beta test? Shout out now, because I need beta testers in less than a week.

Well I’ve managed to find a computer so Mygames19 so: I would love to be Content Manager! Thanks for offering me the position. It sounds like an interesting job, just private mesage me with what I need to do.

However bear in mind I may be unable to get to a computer before Wednesday/Thursday.

Mygames19- Well, if you really do need some beta-testers, I’d be happy to sign up! The only reason I had any concerns is because of a revision timetable for my exams that I’m trying (note the key word, ‘trying’ :laughing:) to adhere to, but I’m sure I could spend some time testing out your game and giving you some feedback on it. I’m quite the gamer myself in terms of playing games, both retro and modern, though I will admit that I’ve never gone on the other side, so to speak, and built games or done anything involving the technical stuff. But as someone who spends a bit too much time on her games consoles, I’ve got at least some experience as a player. So, if possible, I’d like to be a beta-tester! :smiley:

Halos Nach Tariff: Okay, your in. :slight_smile:

I’ll be sending you some things in a little bit,mostly just looking for ideas or alternatives to what I’ve got.

lizardgirl: Thank you. :slight_smile: Now all I need is one more and I can get this truck moving again.

And don’t worry, testing shouldn’t take any more than 5 - 10 minutes to play and report. And I’ll be messaging you when we have a second beta tester (Common people… I wonder if there’s any way to pull some members in here…)

All I feel that I need to do now is make the stage completable, and than it’s up to the results of the beta testing as to weather a demo can come out this weekend or not.

: )

(COMMON PEOPLE, do you want a demo or not!? I need a beta tester!)

Alright guys, no demo today. I haven’t gotten the help I’ve needed to get the demo out by today.

Today I’m going to compile the game for my one beta tester to… test. Bugs found will be removed, suggestions will be taken. The demo might be out in a few more days, it depends if I can get some help and enthusiasm. XD

Just for all of you to see:

Blue Orb = “Health Orb”
BnL Screen = Invincibility Monitor
Tire = Spring

I would love to beta test your game, but I don’t have the time right now. Don’t give up on your project. I’m sure someone will come along soon who is able to test it out.

Only Common people? (I think you meant "Come On, People…) :slight_smile:

Wow… impressive. I’m not much of a gamer, but just watched the videos of it, and it looks great. How about putting “A-113” somewhere on one of the screens?

rachelcakes1985: Currently Lizardgirl has been kind enough to take a swing at it. I sent her A demo and I expect some stuff from her in a few days.

miafka: We are not really here to mock my grammar errors, are we?

…And who said A113 isin’t already in there somehow… :wink:
runs