Wall-E: The Fan Game ~ DEMO 2 OUT NOW!

Yeah the angle bug’s not a massive problem.

Here’s my answer:
• I’d expect the first level of this game to begin with something of a tutorial. eg. when you reach your fist platform some text will appear saying ‘press up to jump’ etc. But after all the controls have been covered the level should continue as normal.

Enemies would be a little difficult I guess, seen as Wall•e’s on his own, so it would be mostly obstacles. For enemies you might want to consider: small dust tornados which cannot be harmed and will move backwards and forwards along a platform, rolling balls of trash Donkey Kong style or a large sandstorm which covers the screen if you get caught in it, part of the level could be a timed section fleeing from it.

The first stage should, of course, set the scene for the rest of the game so you’ll want it to be suitably enjoyable and riveting enough to keep the player interested.

Downloading now. I’ll give my review of beta 1 soon.

Phileas: Still waiting for your review. :slight_smile:

Halos Nach Tariff: Ahh, ya. That sounds pretty good actually. I think I know how I might do some of that, but I still want to get one or two other opinions so I know I should go in that direction.

WALL·E: Still waiting for your review too. XD
(I’ve always wondered how you type with those big robotic hands anyhow. LOL)

Just FYI, I’ve got copy’s of the DS and PC versions of the Wall-E Video Games, so I know what I’m up against. :sunglasses:

Update: There’s been a 215.96 MB transfer rate since the site went up. Based on that number, the game has probably been downloaded 18 - 20 times since release. Thanks all, please let me know what you think after playing so I can make this game better! :slight_smile:

Downloaded it yesterday…played it today in spare time.

Great game…it actually reminds me of an arcade style pacman…close.

The controls are a little tricky because Walle slides around after you let go but that might just me be. I can’t seem to understand the level concept…the second background level almost looks like you could jump onto but turns out you can’t…could be confusing a little.

Also…the diagonal pics of Walle are rather disturbing…its just funny and weird to see walle all of the sudden get stuck and go almost onto his back…nearly freaked me out first time it happened.

Overall I LOVED IT!!!

It was great!! Can’t wait for the real thing…

I don’t need a tutorial, but it would be nice if you wanted to put one in. Instructions of the controls on the pause screen would be fine for me, though. Maybe if there aren’t going to be any enemies for WALL-E to avoid, his directive could be to crush as many cubes as possible, or X amount of cubes in one section of the level in order to get to the next part of Level 1. The dust tornadoes that HNT suggestion sounds like an excellent idea. Maybe when the come towards WALL-E from right to left, in order to not be hurt by them you have to turn yourself into a cube.

Al-Bob - Yeah, it’s funny when WALL-E gets stuck. Not that I’m ripping on the game or anything. This game is brilliant.

My Twitter

:sunglasses:

(Responses to posts tomorrow.)

I also noticed that.
Another issue that bugged me is the music reset that happens after playing certain sound effects (e.g. WALL-E getting hurt).

But on the whole it’s really nice so far. I do love that retro-look. :smiley:

omg it’s EVE! How cute. I can’t wait to play her.

Well, it’s tomorrow in New York, isn’t it? :wink:

Al-Bob: actually, you can go on those platforms. you have to reach the end of the stage and take the lower route though. Theirs an easy to follow Gameplay video that will explain it better. As I’ve said before, wall-E get’s stuck due to the way the engine is programmed. I’d have to completely re-program the engine to fix the problem. No thanks. lol

rachelcakes1985: My main focus for Act 1 will probably be obstacle based platforming. The whirlwinds idea is one of those things in the back of my mind that I might add… Time will tell. And yes, Eve. :3

totoro: Same as I told Al-Bob. The music stops because the Invincibility, Speed up and Hurt actions all work in the same code. If I left the music playing when wall-e takes damage, than it would do the same when you get invincibility. I’d think that would be worse. XD

As you all know, the version of EVE in the credits is facing forward. But for a video game, you can’t animate a character that moves left and right while staring at the screen, it looks funny. So I ripped the original from the credits and modified it so Eve is facing right. Here is a comparison:

So from that I’ve made smooth animations for Eve. But that, you’ll just have to wait to see. :wink:

sorry, i was busy! also, I don’t need to type. I AM the computer. It was very good, but I think you should, because of the resolution, port it to GBA!

Taken the liberty of testing it both on Vista & XP, and now performs similarly. It’s pretty solid for a beta!

I appreciated the fact that you had to “find” the second track to become ongoing… was scratching my head on how to continue the game… nice challenge!

Playing Wall-E: When on the edge of the corners, Wall-E gets stuck and, in true freeze-like motion, violently shakes side to side. Pressing jump a few times enables the character to get out. There’s a bug there, but I’m not expecting a perfect game for a beta :slight_smile:

Still fiddling around with it. I’ll get back to you. Sorry for taking my time to respond, I don’t actively go on PP every day.

WALL-E: GBA port…uhh, no. Good luck with recompiling GML as C++! XD

Phileas: Glad your liking the game!

If you’ve been watching my twitter, you’d know that I’m having a bit of trouble with EVE’s code. I did fix some things, but things like Duck and look up freeze the game. Flying doesn’t even work. XD

So, I have a long week ahead of me.

I’m surprised no one has bothered to find and take a picture of the hidden A113. After all, there is a prize for being the first one to show me it. :wink:

I tried the demo Mygames. I really liked it. I forgot how fun computer games were until I played the demo. It was hard for me to get used to the controls, but I found it interestingly fun.

Haha. See? Computer games can be fun. Just takes some work XD

Alright, if you’ve been watching my Twitter, you’d know what’s going on, but I’d like to fill you in (using earlier posts from Twitter)

EVE
Complete: Movement, Jump.
Bugged: Look Up, Look Down, Hurt.
Missing: Flying (This has actually been programmed now, but it’s under “Bugged”. It’s not even working. :confused: )

Cleaned up more code, but still no luck. I’m Clueless. I’ll have to do a script-wide search.
Later: Checked the code, can’t find anything wrong with EVE. Do I have to reprogram her? (insert irony here) :S

Also: Official Stage 1 design well under way. :slight_smile:
trying to make it look as good as possible without totally screwing it up.

UPDATE: For those wondering, stage design has been going great so far. I already have 1 mini puzzle to solve, and I’m about 1/3 of the way to the end of my stages current length. I am reconsidering making it longer, because I can complete the first puzzle (1/3 of the first stage) in about 1 minute. And keep in mind, I’m trying to keep my workload down by ending the game with 9 levels. That would mean it would take 27 minutes to complete the whole game.
So… we’ll see. I have a lot more things to program in, including sand storms and some type of tuteral/message system. Oh, and gotta complete the stage design. :wink:

Here’s some work that’s done… with screenshots. :slight_smile:

Look, it’s the Wall-E truck! (you can even go inside. :3)

You need that Tire to get to the next portion of the stage!.. But it’s blocked by a Block Box… Maybe there’s a button?

To get to the button, you have to get across a small jumping platform section…

And there we go! (I already pressed it.)

…And now I can climb to the next portion! :slight_smile:

I’ve also got a few other things on the horizon… just you wait… :wink:

Nice, very impressive!

I especially like Wall•e’s truck, and the good old platforming staple; the ‘must find button to pass’ trick, can’t wait to play it.

That game looks a lot better, especially WALL-E’s truck and the monorail tracks. I can’t wait to play it again.

The new updates look really cool, Mygames19! Love the addition of WALL-E’s truck. :smiley:

That is so cool! Talk about a true Wall-E fan!

I especially love the graphics, very Wall-E esque! You should add a level of pong like Wall-E plays with Eve in the movie! :slight_smile:

Sorry I haven’t kept you all up to date, I’m keeping most development under raps… :slight_smile:

This week there has been no time to work on it. since my family is going on a Mini vacation this weekend, I’ve been preparing us all for the 4-day weekend.

Thanks for your patience! :sunglasses: