Where in the United States is Toy Story actually based?

Living about a hour outside of Detroit for a few years I lived in the Tri-County area, When in the Buzz Lightyear commercial in toy story 1 it said available in the Tri-County area I was told it was where we lived “At its core, Metro Detroit comprises the counties of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties are sometimes referred to informally as the Detroit Tri-County Area”. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Detroit) Don’t know if this was what Pixar intended but its what I always assumed.

Which lines would that be?

But yeah, I don’t think they ever intended for the movies to take place anywhere specific. they aimed to make it as generic as possible, so that if you lived in the US, there was a good chance you could relate. obviously this excludes anyone living in a city or something, but anyone in a suburban town should feel like it takes place where they live.

Kinda reminds me of the Wonder Years finale. "I remember a place, a town, a house. Like a lot of houses. a yard like a lot of other yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. "

I was referring to the “Availiable in all Al’s Toy Barn Outlets in the Tri-County Area” and “There’s over 2,200 registered plates in the Tri-County Area alone”. I thought Hamm said something similar in the first one, but apparently my mind’s been melded.

No doubt, somewhere in the Midwest.

Actually it’s about 3.5 million.

That’s right… Thanks for the correction, and Like I said. My mind’s been melded.

Actually, there is a “Tri-Counties” in California, too - it comprises San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties.

There are probably other cases as well. I think they chose that name because it could apply to a number of different locations.

This is my first post to Pixar Planet, I haven’t officially introduced myself yet. Hello to everybody!

Anne, a.k.a Program-R

Another thing that can cue us in, like the seasons, might be the type of trees and shrubbery that are seen? I’ll have to pay attention next time I watch, but I think they’re pretty much prototypical deciduous trees. I’ve always assumed the Midwest region for Toy Story (looks like home to me), but I think the possible area could stretch between Midwest and East/Northeast.

I’m also new here. Greetings, all!

Ok, so lets look back on what we have so far based on actual location…

Michigan: Although unconfirmed and unsourced, Wikipedia categorised each of the Toy Story films under “Films set in Michigan”. This was funnily enough (after we discussed it) removed recently for all film articles in the series between 9-10th of July. User Bucking_Bullseye yet provided more evidence that the film was based in Michigan. He posted a quote… “At its core, Metro Detroit comprises the counties of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties are sometimes referred to informally as the Detroit Tri-County Area.”

Snow fall: User Chopperface made note that it snows during Christmas in one of the films. I personally can’t remember which one, because I haven’t watched #1 and #2 for quiet some time. Anyway, we pretty much eliminate the warmer, southern states of the United States because
of this.

Ohio: User Within A Nutshell said that it couldn’t be Ohio, because the weather was not sporadic enough in the films. This is however conflicted, as User OneEyedBart95 said that an Ohio license plate frame was used in one of the films. User Ding said in addition that “Toy Story 3 contains some references to Chagrin Falls, Ohio, where Lee Unkrich was born and raised. For example, Andy’s Mom’s license plate frame reads “Tiger Pride”, referencing the mascot of Chagrin Falls, the Tiger.”

Rhode Island: User twitchA113 observed that “The small shops (like in the area where Scud chases Buzz), large houses and snow and rain levels lead me to think they live there.”
[Rhode Island]

California: User Kyle suggested it may take place in California, based on evidence that Al’s Toy Barn is shown on Etch on a sketch, to be where Pixar’s studio is located in Emeryville, CA. In addition to User Kyle’s statement, User KarmaWolf said “Etch drew a map in the second movie to help find Woody and the map had some routes and stuff that is only in California.” User Program-R provided further evidence stating there is a Tri-County in California too, which is comprised of “San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties.”

Gee, thanks for mentioning me, B2R4D!

Haha, I’m just joking, I basically said the same thing that OneEyeBart95 said, about the Cleveland license plate.

Woops! Sorry Ding. I must of missed you along the way. There was a lot of data to absorb. Haha! Anyway, I think it would be fair for me to include your observation.

Nice little compilation of the Data so far, B2R4D! That makes it a lot simpler then going back and forth between pages.

I agree with Chopperface, I think it takes place in Anytown, USA.

I noticed another reference. In 2, after the Cone scene as Potato Head says “Well, That went well.” Behind the Toys are stands to buy copies of the “Tri-County Herald”.

In Toy Story: The Essential Guide, it shows the map of the Tri-County area, and Andy’s new house is only a couple streets away. It looks like a real tight-knit community.

And, they said it was based off the filmmakers’ childhood homes in a commentary for the first Toy Story, so it’s really not anywhere in particular. The California theory sounded good, but then there’s the snow to consider.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it does snow in Emeryville.

Well, i’m back. Sorry I haven’t posted for so long.

Anyway, I have read the last few newer posts, and have noticed you guys have made some more observations. Great work everyone!

In the past I used to think that it could be based in Michigan. Simply because the surroundings of some other films set in Michigan reminded me of Toy Story. For instance, Virgin Suicides made me remember When She Loved Me fragment (my favourite. And both of them take place in 60-70s) However, that was long time ago and I haven’t watched VS for quite a while… I’ll have to check, I’m curious)

I’ve googled Tri-County and read about such areas in different states.
However, after reading your observayions I think it’s nost probably Rhode Island

Its supposed to be any city. In some of the commentary on the first film, I think John said it was meant to be a “familiar suburban childhood”. The reason we can’t quite narrow it down is because it has elements of all the places we’ve mentioned.

I was looking at Ann Arbor, Michigan (Where I think the Virgin Suicides was shot) and found some reference photos for the houses: flickr.com/photos/leylabunny/3463945924/

Pixar did a good job and not committing to a location. That is why the airport is from Oakland, the shops are from Rhode Island, the house is from Michigan, and other details are all over the place!

Or they could live in the Tri-State Area…