Where the Wild Things Are

Thanks. It may still take a few weeks, though. Let’s get back to the best film of 2009!!!

New poster, fools! :smiley:

And it’s set to debut in IMAX!

filmschoolrejects.com/news/s … n-imax.php

Like Alice in Wonderland, can’t say I’m too excited about this one (probably because I have bad memories of acting in it for my high-school play), but I’m sure these pieces of news should interest more than a few fans here. :wink:

Thanks to Wall-E Dragon and Rare Addict from Wall-E Forums!

That poster isn’t new, its been up at my theater for nearly 3 months. But SWEET Imax!

I am SO looking forward to this! It looks great! I saw the trailer at HBP and I told my friend we need to see it.

Apple Trailers now has a new featurette: apple.com/trailers/wb/wherethewildthingsare/

I can’t wait for this one, it looks fantastic.

That new trailer definitely made me change my mind about this. They don’t really look like their just really messed up high school mascots anymore :laughing:

Hehe, the new trailer was really good. Should be a great movie.

I really am hoping that this adaptation will be good because I always hate to see books that I love turned into really crappy movies (Ex: The Series of Unfortunate Events Movie)

They’ve released the tralier for the video-game adaptation. I don’t quite know what to think of it.

At least I’m looking forward to the film more. Surrealistic adventures can be fun (may I refer you to Pixar’s most recent film :wink:).

This movie is going to be AWESOME!!

Im highly anticipating this flick!

It actually looks really great! :slight_smile: I’m gonna go see this near Hallowe’en! (I’m busy with school, for next weekend)

That poster is just so amazing. Only five more days to go! :smiley:

So who here is gonna see Where the Wild Things Are this Friday?

Wild Things’ reviews coming tonight… Gotta say, the movie was quite intriguing. The cinematography on the island that Max ends up on is great. Real filming location? Australia.

EDIT: Reviews are now posted! You can refer to our current signature until we change it again for a link if you’re interested. We gave it an average of about 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

I saw it earlier. I give it a 8/10. My full review at the movies topic.

I really want to see it. I’ll post my reweiw on Tuesday or next Sunday.

EDIT: Thursday :sunglasses:

Plot Synopsis:

”Misunderstood at home and at school, mischievous Max (Max Records) escapes to a land populated by majestic, and sometimes fierce, creatures known as the Wild Things. The Wild Things allow Max to become their leader, and he promises to create a kingdom where everyone will be happy. However, Max soon finds that being the king is not easy, and that his relationships with the Wild Things are much more complicated than he originally thought.”

Wow, what a tough film to review. Its main focus is certainly not of a grand adventure, with some moral that’s easily digested. With that said, this film isn’t for everyone. In fact, in order to get the most out of Where the Wild Things Are, you really have to put yourself in Max’s shoes. And if you can do that, then you’re in for one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride.

The live actors in this film, of the virtually two that exist, are a perfect choice. Young Max Records as the film’s protagonist excelled in a way that, I think, no other child actor could. This kid carries the film for a good 90 minutes, proving to be both likable and relatable. As a friend of mine said, he’s “basically a stand in for your inner child and all those feelings that you thought you forgot.” Catherine Keener is also terrific as the mother, playing the part of the “everyday mom” just about perfectly.

The voice actors, too, are perfectly cast. James Gandolfini gives a powerful performance as Carol, ranging from kind and innocent to unpleasant and frightening. While all of the Wild Things are ids of Max’s imagination, it’s through Carol where Max views himself. However, as much as I hold Gandolfini’s performance in high regard, it’s Lauren Ambrose as KW who really stole the show; she’s the character everyone most wanted to love and be loved by.

As much as I love Where the Wild Things Are, I don’t think my feelings on the film will be fully understood until a second or third viewing. Again, this is not a straight-forward, easily digestable fantasy adventure. In fact, the closest thing that this film has to a weakness is its being – at least to some extent - more suited for adults than for children. Right now, this film stands as a 9.5/10 in my book, but much like the majority of my all-time favorite films, I can see Spike Jonze’s latest only getting better with age.

Rare Addict - great review. I agree with you, Where the Wild Things Are is definitely a hard film to digest. For those of you who have yet to see the film, it’s definitely a film that needs to be taken with thought, and not just something you could go into expecting some mindless fun. If you expect mindless fun out of this film, then you’ll probably be one of the people who ended up bored with the film.
Overall, I thought Where the Wild Things Are was a beautifully crafted film. It’s a film about kids, but it doesn’t talk down to kids. It really just understands what it’s like to be a kid. Even though this film is about kids, the film will probably be best understood and appreciated by adults (Weird, huh?).
There’s pretty strong emotions and morals in this film, and I’m sure the film will come off as a classic as it ages.
But like Rare Addict said, Where the Wild Things Are will need several more viewings for me to gather a full opinion over the film; but as for what I thought of it on my first viewing, I would give the film a 9/10.

I saw it the other day and I really liked it. It was one of my favorite books when I was little. Although I really liked it I’d have to say it’s not for everyone. In the middle of the movie it started it seemed to move slower. At the end of the day though, it’s a great movie.

Well, first of all sorry I did’nt post my review yesterday. I was tired when I got back from the theater… :unamused: Anyways, I thought it was a great film! :stuck_out_tongue: Probably the fourth best movie I’ve ever seen, and the best film I’ve seen this year. Sorry UP :cry: :frowning: . I’ll have to admit that some parts were depressing, but overall it was excellent. James Gandolfini did a great job as Carol, and so did everyone else in the cast. I will definately have too see this adleast two more times in the theater. Then watch it all the time on DVD. :laughing: Anyway if you haven’t already seen it I would HIGHLY reccomend it.

By the way: When the movie ended I was more sad than I ever had been to see a movie end. {Meaning that I did’nt want it to be over.}