Which movie is the most grown-up (plotwise)

The problem was, the movie came out when my friends were all doing that whole “too old for animation thing”. They’ve gotten over it since we saw TS3 at midnight, but I didn’t get to see Ratatouille until recently. I’m gonna give it more time before I see it again, so I can forget some of the details. Great film though.

Oh, that makes sense. :smiley:

I think Wall E, alot of it seems about morals, with the economy and everything.
Although I think Toy Story 2 is, without question the most clever Pixar movie.

I’m pretty sure that Wall-E has nothing to do with the economy.

For me Up, Wall-E, or Toy Story 3. Pretty much all their latest stuff :smiley: Up dealt with the whole growing old thing, and losing a loved one but learning to move on. That’s some pretty intense stuff. And Wall-E was grown up in it’s own way. When I think about it it gives me chills. And I don’t even need to say anything about Toy Story 3. I’ve never cried harder at the movies. The last half hour was unbearable to watch but I loved every minute. Anyways, I think they’re all grown up in their own way.

Up is a good one. I know a few of my friends parents who really related to the scene of Ellie’s death. Because they are older they have more expirience with loved ones dying, and that scene touches them.

Ratatouille and Incredibles haave adult themes as well.

Eco-system was meant*
I got mixed up.

With the eventual otucome of the world from human’s mistakes etc.

I’d say definitely Ratatouille, for a number of reasons already mentioned (I particularly agree with the points TDIT made). Even with the underlying adult themes of Wall-E and Up, I thought the basic core plots/characters were things little kids could at least partly get. Right from the first time I saw it, I thought that a kid would have to be old enough to be reading chapter books to get anything out of Ratatouille - I think it is much more complicated in plots and character motivations than the average Pixar film. (Incredibles is somewhat the same, but has the superhero action to engage younger kids.) I’m still a little surprised that I never heard complaints from “parents groups,” etc. about having the whole Linguini/Gusteau plot in a G-rated “family film.”

I’m going to say that Up addresses more adult themes than any other Pixar release so far. I doubt Cars 2, Brave, or Monsters, Inc. 2 will come close to rivaling it either. Because of this (and many other reasons), Up remains timeless.

1.Ratatouille
2.UP
3.Incredibles

to me those are the most grown-up pixar films.

I like to think Wall-E is pretty up there as well.

WALL-E.

It’s just…a very complex movie. It’s the Inception of kids movies.

(I haven’t seen Inception, but I’ve heard how complex it is.)

I’d see it before you use it as an example.

In regards to WALL-E, it’s pacing and backstory is perhaps more grown up and complex than the story itself…which really is rather simple, at least at first glance. I never once found WALL-E difficult to follow; rather, it made me think instead. Inception on the other hand was a mindscrew, and took an awful lot of attention to grasp, which of course is great or terrible depending on the kind of viewer you are :slight_smile:.

And thinking about it, every Pixar movie has themes that can be considered as grown up. Even the more “childish” ones like Cars and A Bug’s Life. Let’s not forget that scene in ABL where Hopper beats the **** out of Flik; it’s a distressing scene to watch when you’ve grown so attached to the character. Standing up for your rights, as well as realising your imperfections like Flik does, are fairly mature themes. Cars too, the backstory of the town becoming defunct, and the echoing of the celeb lifestyle that Lighting so wishes to follow. And when Lightning is asked to bring friends to his party, he realises he has none. Because every Pixar film also covers loneliness in some shape or form.

More obviously, we have Bob Parr’s minor midlife crisis, and his family who are stuck between normality and superiority. “Normal? What do you know about normal!?”, Violet says early on, and that line stands out because it reflects the mundaness of a society who seemingly strives for equality and sameness to the extent where everything is dumbed down. Again, a similar theme is touched upon in Ratatouille.

And then theres abadonment (Toy Story series), losing a loved one (Finding Nemo, UP), dystophia (WALL-E)…these are all adult themes. Every Pixar theme has them, and to an extent, that is part of their appeal to a broad audience :slight_smile:

I like how you outlined each movie’s most adult theme, definedancing!!

The Chicken Man, I agree entirely. But watch Inception. Now. It’s wonderful.

This is probably why I dislike Up so much. Thank you for clarifying that.

There are no Pixar movies that are “grown-up” in the sense that The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan are grown-up, yet.

What? How can you say that? Mulan is not grown up. And The Hunchback is pretty much just about being shunned and misled, which is not that grown up. It is dark and the Frollo fettish thing is pretty adult, but I don’t understand your post at all.

P.S. If you’re referring to adult humor, i.e. dirty jokes, that’s every Pixar movie. Even Toy Story.

Yeah I’m confused. How do you define ‘Grown up Movie’?

I really think he is just doing his best to be disagreeable and confusing in every thread.

I’m thinking that this thread is asking what we think which of the Pixar films is aimed for more mature audiences? MMPA ratings wise, it’s the Incredibles. But when it comes to plot and deepness, I would give it to Up or WALL-E.