Why all this Cars 2 hate?

That’s understandable, Bryko. I mean, at least you have legitimate reasons. Some people just run around saying, “An animated sequel? Blasphemy!!!” Which is often true. But not in the case of Pixar.

One of my prevailing mantras here besides “No one is original” is “You can’t judge a movie prematurely.” This might sound contrary to my actual habits of hyping up a movie I look forward to here on this forum, but really, the trick here is to be balanced about it.

One should not be overtly positive or negative about an upcoming event/movie. Part of the fun in quality speculation is making informed judgements about things. You can say stuff like, “I like this part from the trailer” or “This character looks uninteresting.” Preferably, you should include both positive and negative opinions. But you can’t make a sweeping judgement call about something which you haven’t seen in its entire context (ie “This movie will totally rock” or “This movie will totally suck”).

Even with movies I am really anticipating positively, I always make sure to include some criticisms about some aspects. It helps to be cynical.

But ultimately, no one, not me, not you, can ever truly ‘call’ a movie unless you have sat in the theatre or in front of your DVD system and seen it in its entirety. And between people who are making positive comments, and rejoicing in the animators, screenwriters, and director’s hard work, and those who are snide and making snarky comments without having lifted a finger to actually try making a movie… I’m inclined to favour the former.

I hope I don’t come off as self-righteous here. But this is my principle; always give the benefit of the doubt.

Remember Anton Ego’s words people. It’s easy to be a critic. It’s harder to be a creator.

Good point. But, I’m still ridiculously excited! I can’t think of any criticisms, except for the cliched Western locations. But, that is the point, like Spirit said. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think so, let me tell all you that CARS had a multiplier of 4, which is pretty good, the hate on Cars mostly come from people on the internet, but outside is a very likely film, people love Cars because of its core message

on the other hand I am a diehard fan of The Incredibles, but what really bothers me is to hear and read in every blog, comment, post, etc. that Pixar should have done TI2 rather than a sequel to its worst film,

please haters, it is time to think, accept and understand that Cars 2 will shut your mouths

The wait is getting short everyday, 146 to GO

I honestly hope you’re correct.

I’m in the iffy camp.

I loved the first Cars, but I can’t seem to work up much enthusiasm for the sequel. It looks too different from the original which, come to think of it, may be a good thing. At least we know Pixar aren’t going to be doing the same movie twice.

I understand if some people are concerned or disinterested in the movie, I just don’t see how people can hate it, especially 6 months away. I mean really, hate? That’s such a strong word.

You can’t hate or love a movie you’ve never seen. Unless you’re clairvoyant.

People have the right to criticise though. Personally I think the whole respect thing goes both ways. They don’t do these movies for free! You just don’t have a right to complain much if say you saw it illegally in my book. I can’t draw at all but I can still judge what I like. If you don’t like what you paid for you have a right to criticise it. And creators don’t have a right to say that people can’t express displeasure at something. That’s the thing with being a creator, if you can’t take critique, you’re just NOT going to make it. Even in case where people have proved themselves before if could result in a fall later if that suddenly happened.

I like getting critique, it’s up to the person being crticised to determine for themselves whether it has real value in the end. It’s not like a criticiser can force them to do something or anything.

Pixar doesn’t need anyone to hold their hands anyway. As long as people are not making ad-hominem attacks with no basis there’s nothing to be said.

Of course the thing is we’ve only seen a trailer so far anyway for most. Though I do get the apprehension still.

Personally I’m pretty apprehensive because the whole spy thing and everything which could go badly. Let’s face it. Potential to be great, potential to be absolutely terrible right there. It really all depends how they pull it off and granted I could see why people are freaking a little at what’s in the trailers. It could really enter narm territory unless they play it for laughs (which I think they will though, affectionate parody almost perhaps? That’s my hope). I’m sort of walking the middle tight-rope of hopeful and worried with wobbles on either side. Though I can’t say I hate it. Haven’t seen it. But yeah it’s definitly the type of thing which could be a very acquired taste. Also I’m a bit worried about the main antagonist. But we’ll have to see about that. But I somehow get ‘moustach twirler villian’ (… grill twirler villian? :laughing: -is smacked- :blush: ) from what I’ve heard. I’m not so sure what to think with regards that.

But generally people complained about some things like no big villian in the original (I actally liked that about Cars, makes it stand out, few Pixar films are like that other than say Finding Nemo- I mean yeah Chick, but he isn’t what I’d call the main conflict there- in fact that was sort of the whole point to the film in my view). And little action (Car races are great though but you know what I mean)- and this thing looks like it’s got enough action for both so… did they listen to those sort of complaints and ran with it based on them? I have no idea.

Let’s face it the trailer is definitly very different to the original movie- and hence original Cars fans (or those who at least enjoyed it somewhat) will be worried and already saying it’s out of touch with the tone of the original (and let’s face it it looks really really different. And those who disliked the original will be wondering why the heck it’s even getting a sequel. (Fans who want a different movie to get a sequel? People upset at not getting another original?) I am more apprehensive than say for KFP’s sequel but I’m not prepared to say it will utterly suck forever and ever. It could still work and in any case a lot of Pixar’s films sound pretty stupid on paper when you think about it, even if Pixar don’t have a 100% perfect winning streak with me anyway.

But let’s face it the TS3 trailers were pretty dang bad to me so it’s maybe a bit early to judge. I mean sure, they weren’t quite as bad as the trailers for DW features such as HTTYD or Megamind but still, not great. But while it’s by far not my favourite TS it was still enjoyable overall. So even with the bits I’m a bit worried over it’s possibly still too early to say.

So it’s still possible it will be good and I was even surprised I actually liked Mater as he was in the trailers, and the idea of seeing more of their world is interesting, so I think it deserves a chance despite some early reviews being less than enthusiastic.

It 'aint over till the big tow-truck sings. I want to see for myself first.

Everyone in my school hates it, and most people on the internet seemed to. It also didn’t make as much money as others. And it has the lowest score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Anyway, I think maybe when people see the movie, they’ll change their minds. The second movie seems like it will be more universal.

I agree. This site is one of the very few that I could find that actually celebrates Cars and people don’t hate on it. It is the only place that I can seem to find people saying NICE things about it, instead of complaining about it. So what if critics rated it bad? Does that make you decide wether you like a movie or not? I hope not. Just because Cars didn’t do as well as the others doesn’t mean people need to be so rude towards it and pick it apart. That is a TOTAL pet peeve of mine. I think I’m done ranting now. :smiley:

I don’t agree and I argue with you, the numbers say everything, Cars was more than successful in the USA, The original Cars did $244 million domestically five years ago and became one of the Top 10 biggest DVD bestsellers EVER. The thing became simply HUGE on DVD and the merchandise has been selling like crazy for years now. It might be not very well-received among Pixar fans, but general audiences liked it A LOT, around the globe there is no kid with some stuff related to Cars

…Okay. You win. Now let’s move on and be friends, okay? hug

Anyway, I’m sitting on pins and needles waiting for this movie!!

we are friends IV, if I discuss on something I do it with respect, and you are so nice,

XOXO my friend

Okay, good. :slight_smile:

I meant didn’t do as well as in wasn’t recieved as well by critics and such. It’s ok though. I’m not trying to argue. :slight_smile:

And people, too. I mean, yes, little kids love it. But most adults and teens I’ve met hate it.

hard to believe but in the USA it was well-recived (in money terms), it opened with 60m+ and during its run time it made four times that money, nowadays having a multiplier of 4 is pretty impressive, look for example WALL-E opened with 63 and during its run time at theaters it made 223m+ (a multiplier of 3.5), less than Cars, but it was successful too,

I just want to tell you that Word Of Mouth often depends on the opening weekend, if it is GOOD, it will have long legs, if not it will barely be good, or really bad

I repeat the hate for Cars comes mainly from the Internet
Teens are a special situation, you know in that age (13 - 19) some of them change their attitude because of the age, in which they think that kids stuff (games, movies, etc.) are not for them, in that age they are maturing, (from a kid to a teen)

PS: just a quote: WALL-E is my FAVORITE pixar FILM to date

I don’t know why but I have this feeling that Cars 2 is gonna kick some major butt. I mean, Pixar can’t mess up twice in over a span of 4 years right? (And to be honest, Cars wasn’t even a terrible movie. Quite the opposite actually!)

Yeah! And then people will HAIL anything Cars related :smiley: