Why do some Pixar movies get so little merchandising?

Thanks! I’ll have to check that out…

The one I never understood was The Incredibles.
The only decent item I got was this:[url]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/ajbckmn/Collections/Violet_zps5e4c8c04.jpg[/url].

I wanted the whole family, but as they didn’t have a complete set to go with this toy, I didn’t bother getting the other ones.

It’s a little quirk of mine that if a really good movie comes out, I must have the toys!
But most often with Pixar, they just don’t have any.

Inside Out is the one I am most looking forward to, but I don’t think we’ll be getting any toys from that.
I bet Riley and Joy toys would be so adorable! :smiley:

buckmana: When I look at Pixar stuff, I use Amazon, eBay, and DisneyStore.com. (Try and look there, if you could!)

SpaceSheriff: Whoa! I just went into that link, and my heart’s going crazy! :open_mouth: <3 :-D)

After two seperate incidents where some greedy dink wanted exhorbitant prices for their stuff, I lost faith in Amazon and other online traders.

The item I wanted most was a StarSpangled Coraline doll.
At most, it’s worth 50$ (because it’s a special edition).
But the seller was asking 200 dollars last time I checked.
I haven’t dared check the price recently because I know it’s just too much, even if I really want it.

The second incident relates to a pair of Disney Infinity discs I cannot obtain because the store that sells them isn’t nearby (like in the state!).
The price of the items was reasonable, but the shipping cost was so much I couldn’t afford that.

Which is why I’ll only buy direct from the retailers now, as they will set fair prices for their stuff.

I did search DisneyStore a little, but didn’t find much of what I was looking for.
Maybe I’ll do an indepth search later when I have a clearer idea of what I want to find.

^My advice? Check the price again, read the reviews, or keep searching from other places or for a better (and more trustworthy) seller. You know?

For other Pixar movies (i.e. anything not Cars and Toy Story), your best bet is the internet. Exclusive figures from Comic-con tend to get price gouged by online vendors and the price raises as the years go by.

Disney Store doesn’t have that much of a selection with Pixar if your looking for a figure (in some cases, they might have plushies).

In the end, it comes to luck (and being an Amazon/eBay ninja 8D).

SpaceSheriff: I just ordered a Kevin plushie from Disney Store recently. That, and I use all 3 sources so’s to expand my search. Oh, and speaking of raising prices over the years, there’s this 2008 Deck the Planet Keepsake Ornament I really want but for some reason it costs like $100. (And I don’t get the high-priced ornament part. I mean, was there some kind of shortage or something that happened to it that made it high priced just 6 years later as of now?)

As I understand it, there are these people who buy something when it’s readily available, then sit on it for a while (not even taking it out of the box), then sell it much later for a profit when it is not readily available.
This principle applies doubly if it’s a limited edition.

The Coraline doll was the one I cited, but there are other things I want to buy online and can’t because of this policy!
To give you a general idea, toy stores near me don’t stock enough Transformers stuff, especially the “specialty releases”, so I couldn’t buy them when I wanted them.
I thought buying them online would be a good idea, until I saw the prices and said no.

What gets me annoyed is I want these things because I will play with them and treasure them, I’m not in it for the money or the ego aspect of having “rare item X”.
And just because someone is being greedy, they don’t care that they are doing something unpleasant to me just because I don’t have the money to pay them off.

Greed is a horrible thing!

buckmana: I was told a whole ago that the Keepsake brand WALL-E ornament was high-priced for rarity due to a shortage.

I guess going back to the original topic, the characters in certain films are harder to market in terms of toys and spin-offs. Except for the Incredibles, they could have made a bunch of spin-off comics with the Golden-age superheroes and toylines.

I was also told that an item’s value usually increases over a certain period of time. And what do you mean, harder to market? 'Cause I just checked.

By “harder to market”, I mean for movies like Ratatouille or Up. While excellent movies, they don’t really have much merchandise opportunity besides a few t-shirt, ornaments, and plushies compared to something like Cars or Toy Story. That ebing said, Brave and Monsters University had a decent amount of merchandise around their release.

The item’s value does increase with time since the item becomes harder to obtain, increasing its value. It’s the main reason why eBay and Amazon sellers love to jack up prices for toys that have been out of stock for a while.

That’s what I never really understood.

Superhumans is a proven market, so you’d think from a business standpoint it would be practical to invest resources in your “one and only original superhuman franchise”.

The Incredibles has so much potential that was never realized aside from a comic series that was axed 2/3rds of the way into the story.
A shame really, I want to know how that story ends. :cry:

I’m not really sure of the target appeal of the other franchises, so can’t say for certain if they have merit or not.

But I’m getting tired of trying to get some toy from the movie and all they sell are plushies, which I’m not interested in.

And I’m trying to get WALL-E stuff, but most of it is really hard to find! Besides, I’m never really successful with secondhand sales around 95-99% of the time within my local area…

Was there much WALL-E stuff anyway?

I got 3 toys, WALL-E, EVE and M-O.
That was it.

Well I did check Amazon (or eBay) and saw puzzles, a shower curtain, magnetic tin play-sets, party favors, figurine sets, a bubble blower, plush toys (which were probably hard to make if you ever saw what those looked like, by the way), ornaments (I’ve got a Groiler brand on its way 'cause I’ve ordered it recently), posters, and so whole bunch of other things I have noticed recently.

And, as far as I also happen to know, I’m gonna look for those Thinkway Toys over at my local Toys 'R Us this fall. (Have you seen that link yet?)

I once read the junior novelization several times after my first walks to the library during my high school years.

I did see a Boom! comic, “Recharge”, over at my local Barnes and Noble a few years back, but all too soon it was gone.

I also saw a greeting card a few years back, but unfortunately, it was targeted only to young boys. (Which is why I now often point out that the worst of all “marketing stereotype” is in the greeting card aisle…in fact, I never actually got a Pixar-themed greeting card–ever!–because of that.)

And I have the 2010 Disney Scene-it? game (I don’t know why they haven’t made any more after that), so I actually have him as a pewter token. (EVE is on the cover.)

I also have the Pez dispensers, some trading pins, a tissue box, some punch-outs and things I collected from a weekly Pixar-themed postcard calendar I had back in 2012 (which is door hanger, collector cards, postcard, bookmarks, standee, and miniature punch-outs of characters), Funko Pop figurines (I kept the empty boxes and I carry the 2 figures in my camera bag), and a mug.

I wish I could also have the die-cast racer, or maybe the old calendar which I can use for my source of decoration…

That pretty much answers your question right there.

P.S.–I also remember seeing the toothbrush.

evspixarfan2012

I still want to see more WALL-E toys. :frowning: I know there were some when the movie was new of course but they were phased out pretty quickly. Honestly, although I don’t really want a sequel, I could easily see the movie doing well as a toy franchise, and I’m more than a little disappointed it never really became one.

If I remember right wasn’t there a life-size remote controlled WALL-E at some point? I can’t tell if I’m just making that up or not.

Thinkway made a U-Command Wall-E at the time of its release.

Aaaand, they decided to release some more Pixar themed toys: [url]http://thinkwaytoys.com/MccOurToysV2b-zoom.asp?SelectMainCat=1&SelectSubCat=63[/url]

Better start saving up for the Thinkway Toys, Leirin! There will be some WALL-E stuff over at Toys 'R Us this fall. I mean, have you seen that link which SpaceSheriff has shared with us yet? I’ll bet you’ll soon get your second chance! (I don’t really understand the main cause of it not becoming a toy franchise like you were just saying now, though.)

And…I am sooooo in love with him! Seriously, he really needs more attention. And if I were to pass on my interest to the little ones so’s to let them become interested in more than just Cars and Toy Story, but rather all 14 films…

Whooah, this is great news!! I guess I’d better start saving up :slight_smile: