Why is A Bug's Life so underrated?

Maybe the story was a tad more generic than the others?

I dunno but I personally really like the movie. It’s not my #1 fav but I like it better than some of Pixar’s other films.

I wasn’t comparing the two films stories, but rather the quality which is what film is better.

I find that old films can have better quality than recent ones, that’s what I meant^^.

I don’t recall ever watching Antz (although I was very young at the time of the releases of both movies), but I’ve been wanting to so I can finally see all the comparisons.

Here’s a interesting video that shows most comparisons.

youtube.com/watch?v=LTIjxt-f_xw

Yes, do watch it and compare! I haven’t seen it since I was little actually.

Same! Some people I know preferred AntZ, while others Preferred A Bug’s Life.

Well, it might have something to do with people who are insectphobes, but then again; Pixar made a point to get rid of the “ick factor” with the characters, so they’re quite cute. I don’t really get why people have downsized this awesome film! I absolutely love A Bug’s Life just as much as I love all the other Pixar films! To show my appreciation, I celebrate my own variation of Bug’s Life Appreciation Day on the first day of Spring every year since I first saw it back in '09. You see, when I saw ABL, it was the only Pixar film I hadn’t seen at that time, and I made what might come off as a risky decision and picked out the ABL Blu-Ray for Christmas that year. And I realized after seeing it, just then, that Pixar was truly, truly awesomeness! That every film was awesomness! If it hadn’t been for A Bug’s Life, I would have never become the Pixar fan I am today! :slight_smile:

I have to say that I’ve never seen Antz. I did watch the first few minutes of it in High School, but never caught the rest.

I’ll be perfectly honest, the movie did change by thoughts of insects, especially ants. I tend not to try and step on ants anymore. :laughing:

Yeah, that did it for me, too. I’m still trying to train myself not to scream at innocent spiders (particularly when Rosie is a Black Widow and I think she’s awesome!) :mrgreen:

I never had a problem with Insects, and always tried not to kill them.

As much as I still like A Bug’s Life, I have started to wonder if animated films about bugs can become a bit hypocritical in nature. I mean lately at home we’ve been having our kitchen infested with ants and had to get rid of them all with bug spray and stuff, and if you think about it isn’t the whole movie about ants that we’re supposed to be rooting for? In fact I know one of the intentions John Lasseter had with making A Bug’s Life was to show us the beauty of nature through the insect world (and we certainly appreciate the film for reasons such as that, including the story and characters), yet at the same time haven’t we all admittingly been “bug killers” of some kind, either cause we had no choice or cause some of us just have that kind of impulse when it comes to certain bugs? Of course none of us ever want to do anything to the pretty bugs like ladybugs and butterflies, so Francis and Heimlich should have nothing to worry about (though I hope Francis doesn’t kill me for calling him “pretty”! :stuck_out_tongue:).

I’m not trying to get too deep here since it’s just a cartoon, but I suppose this could play some part in why A Bug’s Life isn’t as popular.

I love A Bug’s Life. John Lasseter doesn’t just do inanimate objects well, he can do insects too! Everything about it screams “Pixar Classic!”. I think A Bug’s Life might not be as popular as the others for a couple of reasons. One, it simply wasn’t the first one. Toy Story was. What’s even more, it is the film that came in between the first Pixar film and the equally awesome sequel to the first Pixar film. Pixar was known mostly just for Toy Story movies at the time with A Bug’s Life being the middle film. By the time Pixar started doing their second batch of sequels, it was only because they knew for sure they would produce them at a high quality with Disney still being involved. However, by that time, quite a few of the actors had passed away, perhaps most notably Joe Ranft as the very memorable Heimlich. Besides this fact and the one that there may not currently be a good sequel idea for A Bug’s Life out there, perhaps this movie happens to just work well as one movie.

I don’t think this film is completely forgotten. Unfortunately, I do feel that the reason it is sometimes overlooked is because it was not the first film, but it was right after the first which just so happened to be followed by the sequel to the first film. Naturally, some forgetfulness may occur here. However, I don’t think anyone will forget forever. :wink:

^I agree. I think it’s unfortunate that ABL is often overlooked by Toy Story, which itself is a fantastic film as well. They’re both great, but ABL is really underrated.

A Bug’s life is above a few Pixar films for me. It just beats Brave and the Incredibles and Cars. Cars 2? By far, A Bug’s LIfe is Better. I’m sorry guys. I don’t dislike any Pixar movie. It’s just The Incredibles and Brave aren’t my favorites!

I like Antz and A Bugs Life equally. Antz had some great drama while the ABL characters was awesome. I preferred ABL’ s animation style but that’s neither here nor there.

Hey, no need to apologize! I’m glad to see some more ABL fans here! As this whole thread has said, ABL is seriously overlooked sometimes. I lovez it too :mrgreen:

No problem! It’s how I feel. I love all the movies, just some more than others.

I like A Bug’s Life better than all the movies aside from Monster’s Inc.(and I’m probably going to end up liking Monster’s University better than it too)…but A Bug’s Life is near the top of my list.

^I’m glad to see that ABL is getting some live! I adore that movie, but it’s not in my top 5. So seeing it in other peoples makes me happy, because it’s often forgotten.