Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

With widescreen TVs being out for years now, I’m surprised they even still make movies in full screen. And I think Pixar has a “widescreen only” policy for their DVDs ever since The Incredibles… well, they should, anyway.

Rachel: I don’t think after the Incredibles they installed a “widescreen only policy”. I think it was after Cars.

TI was still available in full and widescreen, being either 1 or 2 disc. (4 different versions, MENTAL! every true fan will ALWAYS go for the 2 disc widescreen)

Well, people like me can’t afford a widescreen TV, but still I buy widescreen for my fullscreen - I don’t mind the black bars. :smiley: Well … we can afford it, and my mom was thinking of buying one, but seriously - none of us really have time for TV nowadays, unless we get together to watch a film, and that’s usually in theatre. :laughing:

I’ve been a proponent of Widescreen ever since I came across the miniscule ‘Widescreen VHS’ section in Sam Good years ago. If I could find the film in widescreen, I’d get it.

1.33:1 compared with 2.35:1 is just sad. It took years to convince my Dad that widescreen was the way to go- of course, it took him purchasing a HDTV to finally see the light.

To me, pan-and-scan is just a waste of disc space and manufacturing.

Yeah, widescreen is definitely the way to go. You miss out on quite a bit of picture with fullscreen and in my opinion it’s way better to see everything the filmmakers intended for you to see.

thing is, why do they call it FULLscreen when you only see like HALF of it?

My guess is on a regular “square shaped” tv, it will fill up the “full screen”.

But that doesn’t make sense 'cause it’s filling up the screen but with about a third of the movie missing so there’s no point. I can see why Brad Bird got so worked up about having one of his movies released in full screen, now.

I always opt for widescreen, despite owning a fullscreen TV. Fullscreen literally trims off parts of the film. Those screenshots have vital parts of their scenes chopped out, with Remy almost being completely removed from the frame in one. The whole reason behind a wide screen is to capture more.

Anyone who knowingly buys a full screen DVD should be shot :wink:

"But I don’t like the black bars, it looks like I’m missing something(said in whiny voice)" I’m sure we have all heard that one before

It isn’t such a crime when it’s a 1.85:1 aspect ratio and you don’t lose too much. But I can’t even believe they sold a fullscreen version of Cars! To people who want a 2.39:1 film in fullscreen, just tell them they’ll have to lop off just as much of the sides as what’s ‘missing’ on the top and bottom. :wink:

Widescreen is the true way to watch a movie. My mom likes full screen better and it saddens me that she still buys full screen even though I try to explain your not seeing the whole picture. Aw well, at least I enjoy seeing everything.

Yeah, you’re right. It’s just really stupid! (Uh… no offence too.)

Widescreen is what the Pixarians work so hard and so long to perfect their masterpieces and hope to get we all to watch. In fact, I’d consider it a part of the film. It requires lots of hearts to make.

Wow! Look at the poll, we all here voted for widescreen! 100%!

Widescreen. For the same reason, you get the whole picture. Although a couple family members I can think of prefer fullscreen because they say looking at those black bars hurts their eyes. Whether that’s true I dont know. Never bothered me any.

Definitely Wide Screen.

Widescreen, most definitely. I can tell you right now that the fullscreen version sucks, because I’ve seen it for myself on tv… :unamused:

– Mitch

I’ve tried many times to explain to my mum the difference between fullscreen and widescreen, but she still says “But then you’ve got the black bars at the top” and I’m like face palm

And I’m glad no one has yet voted for fullscreen. Good to know Brad Bird’s message is getting through. :sunglasses:

I think the black bars may make her ‘feel’ that something is missing because the movie doesn’t fill the TV up. But in fullscreen, they cut the sides of the movie (noooo… :open_mouth: ) to make it somewhat square-like, then they expand that square piece to fill up the TV, making some watchers ‘feel’ like the movie is more complete (though it’s surely not).

A lot of people like fullscreen, maybe that’s their preference, can’t blame them. Anyway, I prefer widescreen, the original one. Well, for us Pixar fans, we’d prefer to see the ‘whole’ Pixar movies, right? :smiley:

WIDESCREEN FOREVER!!! :angry: