Woody's Personality

Eh, I adore Woody. In the first movie, no lie, he was the only character I liked. Similar effect with TS3.

In the first movie, I did not like Woody at all, even as a little kid. But when the second movie came out, I started to like him because he was more of a relateable character and not a bossy jerk. In the third movie, Woody was not as much of a jerk as he was in the first one, but he was still very mean at some parts, especially decling Buzz’s hand shake :frowning:

Woody was only being mean to Jessie before he knew about her story with Emily, after that he understood why she would be upset about that.

Well, Woody has always been my favorite character, and the only one out of the Toy Story Franchise that I even liked for 1 and 2. I like him because he is a flawed character, and how his character sort of grows and changes throughout each film. I guess I like Woody because he sort of reminds me of myself in a lot of ways… Haha.

I love how she stays quite cynical throughout all of the movies though, like he was initially very cold towards Lotso when noone else suspected a thing. But then, that probably (I’m guessing) comes from him being afraid of getting abandoned?

But yeah, he has come down a peg since TS1. :slight_smile:

Wow. You sound just like me. :open_mouth: Only, I liked Jessie in 2, and only Woody in 3.

I think it’s great that Woody doesn’t have ideal personality and has flaws that normal people have. He can be mean sometimes and make mistakes, but once he chooses what’s right and wrong for him and others, he corrects those mistakes himself. Oh, and he really cares about his toy “family”. I guess that’s why Woody is my favourite character from Toy Story.

I completely love and agree with this statement.

Sorry i already put this in another thread so im taking it off here since its off topic with this one… :smiley:

I see what you mean. But, if they thought they were dead, there would be no reason to look for them, you know?

well i made a topic for this if you want to discuss im just kinda wondering why no one even worried seemed like no one cared but i guess its understandable :-\

To begin with, he was painted as a very capable leader character. He was nice to all the toys, and did his best to keep order in Andy’s room. The introduction of Buzz was what brought about a nastier side of his personality. At first he’s a bit mean, but you can’t help but feel sympathetic for him after ‘Strange Things.’ It’s Woody’s attempt to knock him behind the desk that shows Woody’s taken it too far.

From then on, Woody was firm about what he thought was right (going to Japan, staying with Andy).

I agree totally. They never intended for us to think Woody was a bad guy. I think he’s the most human character in all 3 movies. Jessie comes close in 2.

I really like TS Woody, because he’s a type I tend to enjoy: he’s what I call the “shut up!” character, low tolerance for frustration, low tolerance for dealing with people he perceives as “idiots,” thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, but is constantly being shown that, hey, maybe he’s not always as smart as he thinks he is. He does change somewhat through the series, because he’s maturing, learning to look at the world from beyond his own self-interest, and in a way, Woody has to grow up through the series, just as Andy does. I always thought that Woody’s story arc in TS was that of the spoiled only child whose cozy world is upended by a new baby brother. In TS, Woody comes to terms with his new “brother” (and Buzz matures from being the “infant” who has to be minded and coaxed and doesn’t understand what’s going on, to the older “kid brother” who can actually be a friend and partner in the adventure).

In TS2, Woody’s still self-absorbed enough to care more about his own self-preservation (by going to the museum) than anything else, and has to be talked down by Buzz - who knows that going back to Andy is the right thing to do because of what he learned from Woody in TS. In TS3, Woody’s back to full loyalty to Andy no matter what (because of what he learned in TS2), whereas Buzz (who has really grown into the more level head) is taking the more pragmatic side of “Our mission with Andy is complete” and it’s time to move on - and in the end, in a way, they’re both right.

Whew, that got kind of wordy! :slight_smile:

I think Woody is selfless enough. He saved Wheezy and Jessie, neither of which benefitted him at all. I see your point, though, Karly. He is a bit selfish. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think woody’s loyalty is mistaken for attitude sometimes.

Agreed, I think Woody is a good guy at heart, and I think he takes his responsibilities as “leader” seriously (as when he goes to save Wheezy). I guess I don’t really think of him as “selfish” (which I think of as pushing other people aside to get ahead), so much as I think of early Woody as more… maybe “self-absorbed” - he has his view of the world and how things should be, and is frustrated when things don’t go his way. I think hearing Jessie’s story in TS2 is one of those big character moments for Woody, when he actually sees the situation from someone else’s point of view.

Well, Woody is quite old for a toy, I guess he’s older than most of Andy’s toys, so it’s essential for him to think his point of view is the right one - a lot of people who are the oldest in a team act this way (but still feel responsible for their team, as Woody is). I agree about Jessie’s story, maybe Woody became more sympathetic to other toys after hearing it, but at first it nearly caused him to lose faith in Andy. Good thing he found a golden mean.

I totally agree. I think he gets more selfless with the series. But even in the first one, I like him. He’s so funny! 8D

I felt sorry for him in the first Toy Story, because I was in a situation like this, just didn’t react that openly. Speaking of TS1, I can’t think of a character who acted totally right during all the movie, and in my opinion Woody wasn’t the meanest :slight_smile:

I agree. Mr. Potato Head annoyed me the most in 1. :frowning: