You Dream About Working In Pixar? Let's Do Something!

I just think that we were all quick to post what we were available to do.

I’ve always been a fan of the story of ‘The Tin Soldier’, but other than that, I’m not good with story ideas. D:

Hmmm… I’ve had an idea. Not great, but it’l add something to the bunch.

What if it was about a Cell Phone that isin’t as cool as the other cell phones, but gets bought first?
I donno, for some reason a story based on a Cell Phone sounds like an interesting idea.

how about (going on the original turtle idea) its something along the lines of this turtle has some dumb dead end job monitoring the traffic at the local watering hole, but hes contantly getting in trouble for his head being up in the clouds day dreaming. his idol is Amelia AirTutle, the first turtle to ever fly in a plane around the world. In all his spare time he tinkers on a plane that hes building and he very conviently stores all his plans and drawings and calculations in his protective shell. Hes the outcast of the turtle community, shady shell estates, yada yada yada…

Its just an idea to get the ideas flowing so to speak! I dont know what the Director had in mind…ha…
but yeah!

I like Jsmead’s idea, but I think the Amelia AirTurtle thing isn’t so original. Maybe he could want to BE the first turtle to fly around the world, so it would be more important to him.

Instead of a dead end job, what if he just lived at a pond where ducks, geese, and birds of all sorts visited during the summer? When they come to the pond, the birds tell of exotic places that they visit in the wintertime. The turtle has always been interested in the stories and legends from the birds and wants to see/discover them for himself.

:confused:

I really really like this idea. Would we have multiple comical attempts at flight or would we have him build up to it? That would also be a way to distribute it amongst multiple artists.

Maybe have his first name be Orville? I think it’s a great name for a turtle and a good reference. I’ll try and brainstorm a full plot out of this :slight_smile:

Neat idea! It’d be really cool if we could pull it off!

I am currently an animation student. I’ve worked with programs like 3ds max and Maya. Also have done some modeling and rigging (including facial rigging). I recently made my first short animated film, so I some experience in pulling a short together. :slight_smile:

Here’s my two cents on the story: I like the idea being tossed around. I think the simpler the story (characters, sets, etc…) is, the better chance we have at actually completing the short. I know it is tempting (and appealing) to have something big and elaborate, but simple it always better, especially with something like this. Remember, we have to make everything.

Geoff: I was thinking a few comical events, and then he gets a ‘lightbulb idea’ and then it could be showing him working on this project that you have no idea what it’s going to look like. So a mix of the both I guess?

Meh, I’m a person not to fond of using historical names. Parodies of, I guess, but eh. If everyone else is fine with it, I’ll go along.

I dunno if Im a big fan of that name either, but its not my movie so i guess it doesnt matter…
Also heres a big question… Is he a water turtle or a land tortoise? I think he should be a land tortoise so he can actually leave the water for long periods of time. Land tortoises generally cant swim so they spend all their life on land.
I only know this because I have a Land Tortoise Named Slowsky and he couldn’t swim to save his life…
But I thought it was an important issue to address because turtles and tortoises look very very different…and ahve very different personality characteristics.
water turtles-fast graceful ruthless about food…etc
land tortoise- slow and slightly clumsy. very curious. eats everything.

Hannah:
Very, very cute short!
And I agree with you on the short and simple. And it’s hard to not get too elaborate.

I found out that I’ll be taking the beginners course next year in school, so I’ll be learning Maya. If this project animation portion lingers over two years, I can help with the animating :smiley:

I could try my hand at storyboarding. I’m a pretty good drawer. I have 2 short ideas: An T.V.'s plug trying to plug itself into an electrical outlet or a Greek myth type thing. I’ll give more details on which ever one you guys and girls think is best.

I’d say the concept still needs to be further simplified. how about make it just about getting stuck on his back, over and over. and just when hes about to get up, something happens to knock him down again by the end. the frustration would be the main theme. it might sound overly simple, but that alone will give you guys plenty to worth with and still be pretty challenging to do right.

You know, at first I wanted us to do something fancy to show off, but I’m beginning to think that Kyle is right.

Kyle, thats actually a really good idea.

I’m up for the frustrating short

hello everyone! I’m so glad that you keep this rolling :slight_smile:
the reason I’v been missing this class is that i’v became a father :smiley: (here’s my son youtube.com/watch?v=FoE8IoxQJtE).

Back to topic. the original Idea of turtle is a bit different but i am glad that you guys made a new one :smiley: still i think we should have some more :slight_smile:

i will post my idea and some drawings shortly.

and for you guys. wen you think about new ideas think simply (we cannot do Matrix here). the short has to be

1. simple
  2. full of feelings
  3. Artistic

ok i have to go now but i promise i’ll post my drawing very soon!

keep rolling guys!!!

ok! here’s the story :slight_smile:

scene#1 (panoramic view)
It’s a very hot day. the sun is shining and horizon is blurred by heat waves.
birds are flying and singing on the background. (you can here sound of a hard steps on a soil)

scene#2
Turtle comes in. hes tired and sad. but one butterfly gets his attention.

scene#3
butterfly is flying and dancing in the air. landing on flowers and back to the air.

scene#4
closeup on turtles face. (he is starting daydreaming).

scene#5
small wings appear on turtles back (butterfly wings). for turtle it’s hard to realize what is going on. but soon hes sad eyes become full with joy. he starts waving wings and slowly starts flying (wings are significantly small for hes body).

scene#6
turtle joins the butterfly group (he’s happy)

scene#7
butterfly lands on a small flower and the turtle follows.
flower bands by the large weight of a turtle and soon it brakes down.

scene#8
(end of daydreaming) turtle wakes up laying on the ground without his small dream wings… realizes this was a dream. gets up. makes a deep breath and continues hes path…

sorry there is no happy and :stuck_out_tongue:

i was on the team meeting wen i drew this :smiley:

well this is my story. hope you like it and more then that i hope you’ll feel free to criticize :slight_smile:

I like the idea, and there doesn’t have to be a happy ending. Just a lazy turtle daydreaming about flying. It’s pretty original, and adequately charming. Sounds good to me.

Btw, I’d like to be included in this project somehow. I’m not sure what useful talents I can provide (I’m a mediocre artist, and similarly mediocre writer. I’m working on the art thing, but have very VERY little experience in digital media) besides criticism and input. Any consideration of including me in any way would be appreciated. :smiley: I was also hoping that having some inclusion could allow me to learn a fair bit about cg design.

I understand if I don’t really have anything to offer (and honestly don’t expect to be included, but I can dream :smiley: ), but I’d like to be shown the process of this thing either way, kind of get an idea of how this sort of thing works.

Good luck with the project, and have fun with it!

were are you guys ? ? ?

I’m right here!

Working on some concept art, still working on the turtle. :wink:

(Tell me, did I go a little overboard with the faces? XD)

I’m here. I did think the topic died though.

Mygames: the turtle standing up looks like a koopa from mario x)

Both are good drawings though