Your Up Reviews

Up is an amazing movie, I absolutely loved it! :smiley:

It’s great in 2D and in 3D, although if your seeing it for the first time in 3D it might be a little bit distracting. I was lucky enough to see it twice, in 2D first.

The first audience I saw it with wasn’t very receptive, there were a lot of little kids, so I was able to hear a lot of the funny lines. When I saw it in 3D the youngest kid in the theatre was maybe 8, so everyone was laughing so loud it drowned out the dialogue.

Just saw this last night, and I loved every minute of it.

first of all the montage at the beginning was heartbreaking. Not enough heavyness to upset the kiddies, but enough to make the older viewers feel the pain that carl is going throughl. Again, only something Pixar seem to be able to achieve nowadays.

The characters were great, Carl was brilliant and you felt every bit of emotion for him, Russell was suprisingly cute anf funny. Charles was a punk which he was ment to be. Kevin and Dug rocked, they were both hilarious and had me in stitches all the way through. And ofcourse the other dogs in the film were great, funny and cool, loving the voices :smiley:

All in all this is another massive achievement for Pixar, storywise, one of their best and the animation is breathtaking, not as detailed as Wall.e, but I don’t think we are gonna see that much detail in any pixar film from now. Well done pixar, you continue to shine.

10/10

Editted by TSS: Keep language PG please.

Well, I’ve certainly waited long enough. Don’t worry; there are spoiler tags. Voila’:

I speak on behalf of many when I say that Up has earned its badges. To proclaim it as successful, a work of art, and a masterpiece is a sheer understatement. It is cleverly molded, visually opulent, and beautifully presented – it is also, to an extent, remedial. For me to orally limn this production would be just as difficult as spelling it out. Even now I face a barrier, for unveiling the correct words to describe this composition proves to be almost unfeasible….

12:01 AM – My dad, sister, and I each greet a theater chair in a local cinema. Several people begin filing into the room before and after us, and then more… and more… until finally almost the entire complex is full to bursting with loquacious attendees. And then the lights dim, the voices of the audience are muted, and the sound of a projector remains the only sound to accompany the choking darkness.

Instantly, we are transported back to the 1920s, along with a young Carl Fredricksen, where Ford Model Ts scoot past streets of Victorian charm… [spoil]and Charles F. Muntz remains as one of the world’s greatest explorers. We follow Carl down the road, over the smallest of canyons and the shortest of mountains, to a fellow adventurer’s secret clubhouse…. We follow Ellie up the stairs… down the wedding aisle… up a grassy hill… to the hospital….[/spoil] We turn the pages of life along with these characters, and we laugh with them, we cry with them, and we share memories with them.

Once again, I fail to perceive how it is that Pixar manages to open our eyes to the wonders of life in such a tangible fashion – they touch upon our experiences, yes, but it’s the manner in which they do it that truly astounds me. Each of their films garners plaudits and tastes of perfection, and Up is no different. It aims to roseate, and it does so magnificently.

The first fifteen minutes of Up is purposefully crafted to make you rip out the tissues from your pocket; I succeeding in holding back the tears, but others weren’t so fortunate. How Pixar was able to pull of this particular sequence is remarkable. Just when you think they can’t possibly top their last masterpiece, they go off and defeat the impossible. Not that a montage such as the one at the beginning of Up couldn’t be done, but it’s amazing to see it sown together so seamlessly when other studios fail at attempting to complete a similar task. I’ve never seen a more beautiful montage.

The story itself is, in essence, nothing less than eminent. It plays its cards well, providing just enough humor to keep you buckled up with laughter in moments without neglecting the sentimental quality that gives it substance. Pixar understands when it’s time to shut off the humor and turn on the water works.

The personalities of the characters are equally charming. Carl Fredricksen, the main protagonist, is a set standard of those grumpy, pertinacious old codgers whom you love anyway despite their rather pessimistic outlook on life. He has a good reason for disregarding the laws of sanity and floating off in a house supported by balloons, and those who can relate to his demeanor and situation will probably sympathize with his character on many levels. One can’t help but admire his tenacity. Carl’s character arc is wonderful, as well – he goes from shaking off Russell to literally [spoil]risking his life for him[/spoil], a character trait that I find to mirror that of Marlin in Finding Nemo (he originally saw Dory as annoying, but ultimately ended up caring for her).
Russell, on the other hand, is completely the opposite of Carl. His buoyant personality, coupled with an equally optimistic demeanor, makes him a pert and entertaining character. I was surprised to learn that his history was more intricate than I previously supposed, but it only adds to the plot line. You care for him, and more than just kids will be able to relate to his situation.
The side characters are just as integral to the story, including Kevin the ever-elusive bird and Muntz. Even Dug, who is portrayed as nothing more than comic relief in the trailer, serves his purpose in more ways than one. (In all honesty, I thought he was one of the best characters in the film.) Of course, credit should go where credit is due, and those who provided the voices for such individuals/characters were absolutely brilliant, from Ed Asner… to Elie Docter.

From a technical standpoint, Up does not fail to impress. Hours of research proudly display their colors in this production. Towering tepuis loom over cloud-ridden skies, jungle terrain is complimented by dancing sunlight, and deep canyons swallow up unsuspecting trespassers. And, of course, we can’t forget such important details as those thousands of balloons (which is an entity unto itself), or Kevin’s multi-layers of feathers, or the careful simulation of cloth that makes up Carl’s jacket or Russell’s explorer’s outfit. What it must have taken them to render such materials had to have been phenomenal.

Overall, I give Up a ten out of ten. Such an incredible film. I dare Pixar to make a failure. No, seriously, I dare them. Their talent and success of today can be matched by only a few, and when it is surpassed it is a rare thing, if it even happens at all. A warm congratulations to Pete Docter, Jonas Rivera, Bob Peterson, and the entire Pixar crew and cast who helped to make this film possible. You guys are geniuses. You’re absolute geniuses.

Personal Notes:

Ok, so after that long and extremely winded review (where I tried to be all practical and professional and… utterly ridiculous in my verbosity), it’s about time that I just say it like it is and casually talk about how much I freakin’ loved this movie.

Up is incredible. It is absolutely incredible. How the heck Pixar does it isn’t a complete mystery to me, but I’m still astounded by their brilliance every time. I have to admit, though, that I walked out of the theater not completely “getting” it – at least, I didn’t “get it” until the third time around. I’ll get to that later….

I guess I better elaborate on each individual subject. I’ll only mention four, because otherwise I’ll be here forever just blabbing my mouth off about how gorgeous the film is. Voila’:

My Favorite Funny Moment: [spoil]The part where Carl is imagining himself dangling Russell from the house… and then dropping him.[/spoil] The most hilarious moment in any Pixar film. Period. I was laughing my head off….

My Favorite Bittersweet Moment: This is a tie between the “Campfire" sequence, the [spoil]“Ice Cream Cone”[/spoil] moment, and a section in the “Montage”. The first of the three was just… beautiful – absolutely beautiful. [spoil]“Cross your heart?” says Russell. “Cross my heart,” Carl replies.[/spoil] Magnificent. The second moment literally had me tearing up. Honestly, I was trying my best to hold it in throughout the entire film, but the very end, where Carl and Russell are [spoil]eating ice cream and counting the cars in the street[/spoil], was what did it. There’s a reason for this. Again, I’ll give a more detailed account on that later. The last of the three sequences takes place within the montage that highlights Carl and Ellie’s married life. There’s a moment in that section where [spoil]Ellie has a miscarriage[/spoil] – the way it is described, with no dialogue and only a tender score to support it, is both poignant and beautiful. In my opinion, it’s the use of pantomime that makes it all the more perspicuous.

My Favorite Character: Gee, I wonder who that could be? All right, well, Russell is quite possibly the most adorable Pixar character ever created. I love him anyway. Part of the reason why I like him so much is because I relate to him – he reminds me of my sister and I when we were youngsters: [spoil]We absolutely love adventures and will go out of our way to explore every nook and cranny we come up against; however, we’ve never actually been out camping and have had to brave the wilds of our backyard instead. We used to eat ice cream outside of our garage or on our porch. We would play this “car game” where I would run down one side of the walkway outside of our house… and my sister would run to the other, and whenever we saw a car coming we would run as fast as we could so as we could “hide” in our backyard before the car “saw” us. (It was a little different from Russell’s “car game”, but it was just as fun.)[/spoil] Even situations we deal with now are things that Russell dealt with in the film; little things like… [spoil]trying his best (and sometimes overdoing it) to please his parents, not seeing his dad much because he works in the city, and living in an apartment. (Don’t get me wrong, though. Our parents are still together, unlike Russell’s. At least, I think that’s what Russell’s situation was….)[/spoil] In any case, I really like him as a character. He’s just as determined as Carl in many ways, and his resolution is particularly satisfying.

All of the other characters are awesome in their own right, as well. Carl is such a dynamic personality; I love his tenacity and expressions. Dug is adorable and behaves true to his species, as do all of the dogs, which is neat in that they get the benefit of both worlds by way of translating their thoughts while still maintaining dog-like stances, expressions, and demeanors. I like how they didn’t overdo the “Squirrel!!” thing either.
Kevin is still my least favorite of Pixar’s collage of characters, but I’ll admit that she does harbor a cute attitude. (She reminds me of a velociraptor more than anything else in both her call and in the way she walks, runs, and jumps. Very cool.)
Alpha was hilarious, at least in voice, and his companions, Beta and Gamma, were equally entertaining.
Muntz was actually a pretty intimidating character in points, especially during the [spoil]dinner table[/spoil] sequence. Heh. I love his expressions. [spoil]“I must say, that’s the best one yet. I can’t wait to see how it ends.”[/spoil] Heheh. Great stuff. [spoil]Russell had to be all stupid and blab out everything about the bird. You kind of had to forgive him in that instance, though.[/spoil]
Credit must be given to the character designers on this film, as well. Wonderful stuff. How do they do it?

The Music: The music. Ah, the music! What I wouldn’t give to have been at those recording sessions. The 1930s/40s style score is one that I absolutely love, but the soundtrack itself isn’t all records and big band. It’s versatile and explorative, slowing down in moments, but uttering a riposte when it needs to. One particular section, in which Carl and Russell [spoil]meet Muntz’s dirigible in person[/spoil], is even Miyazaki-esque in tone. I highly congratulate Mr. Giacchino and the talented orchestral crew for composing yet another succulent opus.

All right. Now that I’ve covered all of that, I’ll explain why I didn’t completely “get” the movie at the end… and why I got misty-eyed during the [spoil]“Ice Cream Cone” sequence[/spoil]. Well, basically, starting with Ratatouille, every Pixar movie I’ve seen thus far has highlighted some significant moment in my life. Up’s moral was obvious: Life is the single greatest adventure. In this case, it stressed the fact that [spoil]Ellie’s time spent with Carl meant more to her than anything[/spoil]. Since Pixar touches on aspects of my life, I was trying to spot the similarity between myself and this film, so upon understanding what the moral was right off the bat I figured: “Well, it’s obviously about my time spent getting to Pixar, right? The journey will probably be more fun than actually working there.” However, a trip to the El Capitan Theater corrected that assumption right away. A few days ago, my dad, sister, and I went down to Hollywood to watch the said film at the said theater, and at the very end of the movie, as Carl and Russell [spoil]sat on a curb while enjoying a healthy helping of ice cream each[/spoil], my sister and I gave each other a hug… and suddenly I started tearing up… because I finally got it. My sister and I both want to work at Pixar together; we’re really close, and I love her more than she thinks I do. The entire time I thought that my personal journey was the adventure, but it’s not. It’s my life spent with my sister that matters.

In the words of Russell:

[spoil]“It might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.”[/spoil]

– Russell, Up

And so it is. Mt. Everest is scaled one day, while monkey bars are climbed the next. Graduation caps are thrown one minute; a kite is tossed into the air another. Ice cream cones are licked and envelopes are sealed; cookies are burned and laughs are shared; those in hiding are sought and others fleeing are tagged; records are played and balloons are popped…. Adventure is out there… and yet, in retrospect, it’s not the extravagant journeys that we take that matter, but life itself that’s the true adventure….

I actually wrote two reviews because Up was just that incredible… and because I like to write. You can read the second commentary here, but be advised that there are uncovered spoilers throughout it:

Adventure is Out There!

To date, I have seen Up five times and knew… pretty much all of the dialogue by the third viewing. Those guys at Pixar are just… geniuses. How do they do it?

(By the way, the ‘A113’ in-joke was so easy to find. Make 'em harder, Pixar! :wink: )

– Mitch

I still have only seen “Up” once so far, but that has more to do with my current economic situation – grrr – than my love for the movie. Thankfully, I’ll be going again tomorrow to see it in 3-D, and since I’ll be taking my 8-year-old little sister, I won’t have to pay out of my own pocket.

Sometimes the 3-D at the theater malfunctions, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that everything will run as smoothly as it did the first time. (“Monsters vs. Aliens” had a problem, as well as “Coraline”; thankfully, for the latter film, it was my second time seeing it.)

I’m really looking forward to it, and I’m hoping that there are fewer people at my screening than there were last time, because in a sold-out crowd on opening night, it’s hard to hear every line of dialogue over all the constant laughter. (It is Pixar’s funniest film!.)

after i saw UP, i told everyone i ran into they had to go see it and when they did they contacted me and told me how good they thought it was.

the funniest thing though was my best friends parents went to see it together and when they came back her mom’s review was “oh, yes…well it was very sweet and all but it kinda reminded me of grand torino.”

and i said “WHAT? what are you TALKING about??”

“well you know…a grumpy old man who doesn’t want anyone to bother him, doesn’t want anyone near his house, makes friends with a sweet little asian boy.”

and then i couldn’t stop laughing, its the oddest comparison/review i’ve heard back from anyone.

Oh my, i saw Up on vacation and I LOVED it. i loved all that music and animation! it gets better every year!
I loved this movie so much i did not wanna take my eyes off the screen. that’s why i kept spilling popcorn. But i did get mad at the kid behind me who was kicking my chair so fast and so hard i could barely see what was happening.
And now i’m impatiently waiting for my local theater to hurry up and get it!

Hey, I’m new here, just recently fell into Pixar geekdom thanks to this AMAZING work of art.

I’ve always loved Pixar’s films, but Up takes the cake. I’ve never been so moved by a movie before, the story is absolutely stunning. I didn’t start paying attention to the fine details of it until about the 4th or 5th time I watched it; the production values are flawless, the most impressive in my opinion being the sound. The graphical style of the movie, as expected from Pixar, is exceptional, the environments are gorgeous, the character design is very well done, you can tell almost everything about a character from merely looking at them, but it’s not until the wonderfully written dialogue plays out until you get to know exactly how deep each character is, (with a small exception to Muntz, he never gets too fleshed out, which is a shame, but he gets a fair bit of attention). The relationships established in the movie are presented with a huge amount of proficiency, and you end up falling in love with each one.

The decision to make the movie more human, as in no superpowers, talking animals (save the collars, those are regarded as being very unique in the movie anyway), talking objects, is a bold one, but makes the movie the most emotionally powerful one Pixar has ever made. The characters have very realistic problems, weaknesses, emotions, and behaviors. This presents the story in a much deeper way, and makes the story an absolute dream to watch. I’ve heard from several friends that the story seems too sad, but it runs both ways in my opinion. Take it from anyone who’s seen it, Up is a POTENT tearjerker. There are (now) three spots in the movie where I cry regularly, one absolutely rips my heart out every time I watch it. The first 15-20 minutes of the movie is probably one of the most well written and touching visual dialogues in movie history, and it’s a tough one to make it through, but an absolute work of art. In spite of the large amount of emotional trauma in the movie, it leaves viewers with a fantastic feeling, and one I have become so in love with, I can’t stop going back to the theater.

The score is fantastic, Mike Giacchino outdid himself with it, and I couldn’t ask for better music for such a fantastic movie. Great job sir.

Overall, the only problems I have with the movie (and this is being absurdly picky) is that Muntz never really got too much depth, and his resolution seems a bit,… lame and the movie could go on for about 2 more hours and still be as entertaining. The story is breathtaking, and making it longer is the only thing I think that could make it better. A sequel seems a bit out of reach (but DEFINITELY wanted) , as everything in the movie is resolved pretty well, and I think it would be a bit tough for Asner to work on another movie in a few years, but I would watch one in a heartbeat, no question.

Up is Pixar’s finest in my opinion, and I hope they keep churning out this kind of stuff. Absolute perfection.

EDIT: Just an extra note, I noticed that the movie looks quite a bit better in 2d, there are some noticable flaws in the 3d [spoil](most noticeable around the cave where Muntz keeps the Spirit of Adventure, and some of the darker shots)[/spoil] and it makes the movie quite a bit darker as well. I recommend that it be watched in 2d, because being charged more to see a movie in a lesser form is a bit annoying. The 3d isn’t utilized very often as well.

I loved every minute of “Up” from the beginning’s love story and life story to the suspense at the end wondering if Carl and Russel with be able to save Kevin. The comedy just made the entire movie even better to watch from the storyline. I give it 2 thumbs up because this movie was so good that I saw it TWICE and I had a great time at both.

Well, I finally sat down and composed my “official” review, and decided to post it here. Yes, it’s gushing. :unamused: What can I say?

I don’t think there are any real spoilers here; I tried to avoid them, and to write it as if writing a “real” review for the benefit of those who haven’t seen the movie. Welp, here goes:

Review: UP (2009)

I’m not the first (or last) person to say this, but Pixar really can’t make a bad movie. We all have our favorites, and our occasional nitpicks, but all their films are at least entertaining, and at best, brilliant. Where does “Up” rank on my list? Well, I’ve seen it five times, and still want to go back. It’s that good. “Up” hits an ideal blend of heart, humor, action, a few tears, a lot of laughs, and some big thrills. There is plenty of meat here, in the way of emotion and thoughtful themes, for older viewers, but still enough fun and adventure, and a simple enough premise, to keep the kids engaged.

That premise is: Carl Fredricksen is a Grumpy Old Man, living alone in the house he shared with his late, beloved wife, Ellie. Mean Developers want Carl’s house. Carl escapes all the Meanies by tying balloons to his house and flying it off to Paradise Falls, the South American “Land Lost in Time” that he and Ellie had made a childhood promise to someday reach. As anyone who has seen the previews knows, Carl quickly finds out that he has a passenger: Russell, a young Wilderness Explorer who has been pestering Carl in an effort to earn the elusive “Assisting the Elderly” badge that will promote him to the exalted rank of Senior Wilderness Explorer. They sail into a storm, and before you can say “Over the Rainbow,” Carl and Russell are in South America, towing the floating house on a trek to Ellie’s dream destination overlooking Paradise Falls. This won’t be easy, however, especially once they cross paths with two characters – a tropical bird that Russell dubs “Kevin,” and a lovable dog named Dug – who end up embroiling them in a rip-roaring adventure involving the childhood hero of Carl and Ellie, dashing explorer Charles Muntz.

“Up” was directed by Pete Docter, who also directed Pixar’s charming “Monsters, Inc.,” and there are some obvious comparisons, including the central relationship between Carl and Russell, where (as with Sulley and Boo) an adult is unexpectedly saddled with a child he doesn’t quite know how to deal with. The opening scenes of the film take us back to Carl’s childhood, and through his long, loving marriage to Ellie, in a marvelous and moving expository sequence that makes Carl a fully fleshed-out character before the main story even begins. One of the real treats of “Up” is how the supporting characters, Russell, Kevin, and Dug, all enter the story as straightforward comic relief, then develop through the course of the plot into deeper roles, each uniquely heroic and touching, their courage and loyalty reshaping Carl in ways that he never expects.

Of course, “Up” looks beautiful. It is being shown in both 2D and 3D versions, but the filmmakers use the 3D for atmosphere, not for “oo, look out!” stunts, so the version you choose to see really is a matter of preference. Personally, I find the 3D glasses awkward and the 3D visuals dim and lacking color. The 2D version provides a crisp, vivid color palette, and the ability to soak up the story and characters without distraction. Pixar has a historic talent for staging great action set pieces, and “Up” boasts one of their best, in the form of a chase scene in which our heroes are pursued by dogs through an impossible landscape of caves and rocks. The perils are hair-raising, the visuals are staggering, and the choreography of Carl, Russell, Kevin and the floating house, individually flying, falling, running and dodging, all while still linked together, is breathtaking.

Pixar also has a knack for avoiding star name stunt casting when finding voices for their characters, and, as usual, it serves “Up” well. Ed Asner and Christopher Plummer are the biggest names in the cast. Asner is an ideal Carl, going straight for the heart and hitting every note perfectly, from anguish to droll humor. Plummer gives a ripping performance as Muntz; like Ian Holm in “Ratatouille,” he is a familiar and talented actor, but his voice isn’t so instantly identifiable as to distract from the character. Holding their own with the stars, however, are the “non-actors” in the other main roles. The filmmakers wanted a “normal” kid for Russell, and they hit the jackpot with Jordan Nagai, who brings a natural charm to the overeager Wilderness Explorer. And it wouldn’t be a Pixar film without a Pixar staffer taking on a juicy role. This time, it’s co-director and screenwriter Bob Peterson (who was also the gravel-voiced Roz in Docter’s “Monsters, Inc.”) stealing the movie as Dug, the earnest, squirrel-obsessed canine. (It also wouldn’t be a Pixar film without their “Lucky Charm,” John Ratzenberger, who turns up in a small role.)

Rounding out the Complete Cinematic Package is “Up”’s rapturous score by composer Michael Giacchino. This is his third Pixar feature, after “The Incredibles” and “Ratatouille,” and he expertly conjures up an emotional gamut of romance and thrills, using not only the full orchestra, but smaller ensembles in the spirit of a 1930s dance band. Giacchino builds his score around a handful of themes, most notably the wistful waltz that represents Carl and his beloved Ellie, and the jaunty “Spirit of Adventure” (which becomes the melody for a delightful faux-1930s song that can be heard in its entirety only on the soundtrack album). The music is melodic and enchanting, and should be recognized come awards season.

For the third year in a row, on the heels of “Ratatouille” and “Wall-E,” the annual Pixar feature promises to finish the year on a lot of critics’ Top Ten lists. Even without the Academy Awards increasing the Best Picture field to ten nominees this year, it seems impossible for them to ignore any longer the sheer weight of Pixar’s inventiveness, quality, and – yep, I’m going to say it – genius. Could “Up” become only the second animated feature in history to score a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars? Don’t count it out. It would certainly be a well-deserved honor.

When I saw this movie i saw pixars potential and how pixar is going places. Some parts were really touching and i even cried sometimes.4/4 Stars Superb

What…the…heck? xD How does one think that a movie involving a classic car, gangs, and a grumpy war veteran is even remotely similiar to a movie with a flying house, rainbow colored birds, and a wife’s life long wish? That’s hilarious!

I just saw Up second time. As brilliant as first. Probably the most emotional Pixar film to date. The opening sequence may be the most emotionally captivating 5 minutes in animation history. Not like Gran Torino. Lol.

I saw Up on WatchXOnline (I could not resist) and found it to be an incredibly good movie. When it comes out in NZ I will love to see it in proper quality on the movie screen, and enjoy it for all it’s worth.
This is the first Pixar movie where a character has said the eight-letter E word (Ethiopia), and I was happy to see it referenced so naturally in a movie.
The story was great, and not too predictable, with a good balance of humour and emotion. I especially loved the chocoholic bird!
10/10.

(I can’t see any movie in ‘3D’- only one of my eyes works properly.)

For me this was an INCREDIBLE movie, the best one from pixar after Toy story 2 and The incredibles,this movie was awesome, it have hilarius jokes and much action , but the better of all was the end, when russel and carl become friends.

What i dont like is that carl replace russell father, and the fact that charles wasnt bad at all he just want to prove he was right and pixar kill him off

I just saw it today for the first time (Up opened today in France). And I was very happy to see it in digital 3D AND in its english version. Really hard to find the both things combined.

About the film now : I won’t be long ; lots of big reviews already. I’ll just say that this is another masterpiece from Pixar. It has everything : humor, emotion, breathtaking action, great and fun characters… The only problem I can think of is [spoil]Muntz : not very well written character. He basically just became mad. I thought it was a little easy.[/spoil]
I don’t know how high Up ranks in my Pixar list, but I know I can’t wait to see it again :smiley:

On a side note : I didn’t post in a while, but it’s just that I don’t have many interestings things to say these days. I’m always on the boards. I’m watching you Wazowski, always watching… :wink:

I messed up the spoiler tool. As you can see I’m new. Sorry. There are about three spoilers in here… [spoil]It blew me away! The scene that goes through Carl and Ellie’s marriage was beautiful. My friends and I were shocked that Pixar decided that the couple would not be able to have children. The whole scene was very real-life and it was something I hadn’t seen done so well in animation or anywhere else! The movie was as ground-breaking as WALL-E and had lovable characters such as Russel and Dug. Not to mention Carl was one of the best developed characters I’ve seen. And yes. I cried. Nearly perfect. Loved the scene where Muntz’s obsession turns him into a madman.[/spoil]

Well, I just watched Up this morning, and once again, Pixar has done it! I can’t believe it, ten hits in a row, and counting, there’s gotta be something special about this company… but then, we all knew that, don’t we?

The thing about Pixar films is that it’s just so hard to hate any of their films, they’re just so charming and their characters so interesting. It is also very difficult to write a definitive review of any one of their films, and each bears repeated viewings to form a clearer opinion (I have not written a review for Wall-E for example, because there’s just too much for me to talk about in a few hundred words). Having said that, their films can be enjoyed on all level, whether you’re in for deeper meanings or just there for the ride.

And Up has got to be the ultimate thrill-ride of the year, whether animated or live-action! I will attempt to summarise my experience, but bear in mind, this is a kind of ‘flow-of-thoughts’ review, since it’s very difficult to condense great movies in the usual ‘Cast, Characters, Storyline’ review format.

I will start with the characters, since that appeals to me the most from this movie. Up has also got to have the most endearing characters I’ve ever seen from Pixar, period. More so than even Cars perhaps, and close to the level of Wall-E. It’s very difficult to find faults with any one of them. Even the villain, [spoil]Muntz, has a certain charisma to him, until he went mental towards the end, at least[/spoil]. My favourite remains Kevin, whose goofy outer appearance disguises her true intelligence as a perceptive and fast-thinking bird. Dug is just loveable as the ‘runt’ of the pack, picked on by the others, but remaining steadfastly loyal to his ‘masters’. Carl and Russell, as the two main protagnists, have one of the strongest character backstories I’ve ever seen in a Pixar film, that is revealed just through their mannerisms and speech. Great metaphors abound, [spoil]Carl locking up his house and ultimately his heart to everyone, Russell’s strong desire for that “last badge” to see his father again, Muntz being a reclusive hermit driven to obsession to clear his name.[/spoil] The heroes and baddies mirror and parallel each other (like any good movie should), [spoil]Carl being the opposite of Muntz, living reclusive lives in the hope of fulfilling their different dreams, Russell helping Carl come to terms with his desire of adventure through his boundless enthusiasm, bringing to mind Carl and Ellie’s youthful optimism…[/spoil]

The action sequences are tremendously imaginative, our heroes [spoil]steering the house through a thunderstorm, outrunning a pack of dogs through a collapsing canyon, and the heart-stopping grand finale a few thousand feet above ground.[/spoil] The frustrating and exciting thing about Pixar’s stories is that things have a habit of going pear-shaped very quickly, and if something wrong might happen, it most likely will. And trust me, Carl and Russell go through a lot of mishaps throughout their adventures. The final showdown is one of, if not, my ultimate favourite from the entire Pixar canon, purely for its sheer action-packed awesomeness. I mean, we got a [spoil]daring rescue, swordfight, dogfights (both aerial and canine) and even a shootout[/spoil] all within the space of a few minutes! The highlight for me has got to be [spoil]poor Russell hanging on for dear life from the firehose Die-Hard style![/spoil] :laughing:

Overall, this is another winner for the annals, a rousing adventure and stunning tour-de-force that grabs you from the first frame (which was similar to [spoil]The Incredibles and Ratatouille[/spoil]'s opening sequence, by the way) and doesn’t let you go till its bittersweet end. I didn’t connect with it on the level of say, Wall-E or Ratatouille, but I don’t remember a greater emotional roller-coaster than this for a long time. It’ll make you cry (I teared in the opening scene) one minute and laugh the next, break your heart, then melt it into a puddle, and it’s amazing how long since a movie did that to me. Pixar just keeps raising the bar, and this time, it has delivered a meditation on the finiteness of life, the true meaning of being a hero (“going above the call of duty”), and how sometimes the greatest adventure is in actually beginning one. And all wrapped up deceptively in a rollicking, exhilarating, h*ll of an adventure movie.

I thought I’d never say this, but to get an idea of how highly I think of this movie, I would rank it second after Wall-E and above Cars. This is truly a masterpiece of cinema, and one of the best films of the year. :slight_smile:

Well, this is mean that I can wear my Partly Cloudy sig back? :stuck_out_tongue:

Uh, if you ask me, I’d rather not. :neutral_face: Firstly, I haven’t watched it yet, cos’ it wasn’t shown at my screening. Secondly, even if I did watch it, there are people in other territories like the UK who have not had a theatrical release, so it’s not just me you should shown concern towards.

I don’t know… I really hate to sound like a bad guy, and I understand your enthusiasm for PC. But can you at least wait till 5th December when at least Japan has had a chance to see it theatrically? :confused: I’m not going to stop you from wearing it (partly because it has already been spoiled for me, and partly because I don’t have the right to impose my rules upon you), but there are a lot more less-spoilerific sigs you can wear, so I’m wondering why it has to be this one…

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way… again, I feel very bad for reprimanding you this way, but that’s my honest opinion. :frowning: Hope you understand.

Excellent review TDIT, I loved reading it, even teared up a bit at how well you nailed some of the moments in there. I’m really glad it’s taken a top spot in your list. I wasn’t as partial to the action scenes in the movie as you were, I enjoy it much more for the emotion and the overall story, but that’s great that the action sequences got to you so much. :wink: I take it you plan on going again?