Your Up Reviews

Nice review, apixarfan. Sounds like you’ve got Carl spot on. And yeah, I too liked the new 3D version of the Pixar logo.

And I’m looking forward to your review, ffdude1906! Sounds like it’s going to be very in-depth and interesting.

I had just gotten Up on DVD yesterday and watched it for the first time since I had not gotten the chance to see it in theaters. Like all of Pixar’s films I say it was very good. Back when I first saw the early teaser for it though that just showed an old man standing in a house being lifted up with balloons I wasn’t sure what to think of it. It was like “Okay, what was on their minds when they came up with this one?”, but now I know that it’s really a much deeper story than that trailer led me to believe and when I heard all the wonderful reviews about it and how emotional it was it really made me want to see it for that reason.

Russell and Dug were both very funny and Carl is a very likable character, who I could tell still cared enough for Russell’s safety on his journey even though he still thought he was in the way. I could relate a bit to Carl’s attachment to his house and possessions as his only things to remember Ellie by (I would probably have the same attachment to any childhood stuff that I still keep around). Charles Muntz was an interesting villain since his own obsession to fulfill his lifelong dream had sort of driven him into madness, and I like the twist of having your childhood hero who had inspired your passion in the first place one day turn on you. [spoil]I would have to assume that he didn’t actually die at the end cause he still had balloons tied to him and they could have lessened the impact of his fall.[/spoil]

What really spoke to me was when [spoil]Carl was looking back at Ellie’s adventure book and turned past the “Things I’m going to do” page for the first time only to find the photos taken of all the things he had done with Ellie, and that already made the message of the story clear to me that the real adventure is the relationship you had with your loved ones and to let go of the past. I also liked when Russell made Carl promise to take Kevin back home by saying “Cross your heart?” as if Ellie was speaking to Carl through him.[/spoil]

The part where Carl hits the construction worker over the head with his cane and he was bleeding wasn’t really as graphic as I heard it was. It’s not really the first time Pixar had shown blood since Dory had a nosebleed in Finding Nemo and the blueberry scouts in A Bug’s Life made a drawing of the circus bugs and grasshoppers killing each other, so I wasn’t really surprised by it.

The visuals are all great. The scale of South America is amazing, the pack of dogs are very realistic, and I like how colorful the movie is with Kevin and the balloons. It seems like it’s easier to take for granted now the kind of things Pixar is capable of doing now.

I’m still very new to Up but watching it once has convinced me what a good film it is.

So I was going through the reviews I wrote for my school magazine last year to attach to my request for a job interview when I came across the one I wrote for Up! I can’t believe I didn’t think of posting this here, but well, with Oscar season in full swing, what better time, eh?

In case you can’t read the small font, here’s the ‘unedited’ version. Be advised, I used some minor coarse language to ‘up’ my hip quotient for a university publication.

"I don’t get it. How the hell do they do it? Once again, Pixar has taken a foolhardy gamble and won, pulling off another genre-transcending masterpiece for the ages.

If you haven’t seen the cryptic trailer yet, here’s the lowdown: A geriatric curmudgeon escapes to South America in his airbourne house, with an overweight stowaway aboard. Upon landing, a gormless Chocobo-lookalike bird and a cowardly talking dog join their pack, as they encounter countless perils while facing certain death at the hands of a disgraced former explorer.

It’s better than it sounds. After a summer of mediocre ‘blockbusters’, Pixar’s most sublime film is like a breath of fresh air. It also happens to be the most heartbreaking; characters bleed, hurt each other (both physically and emotionally), and experience overwhelming grief. The opening montage alone will make you weep.

But far from being ‘emo’, Up remains a riveting adventure movie, featuring dazzling animation, inventive action sequences, and endearing characters. It also delivers a meditation on the human experience, the possibility of life after death, the true meaning of heroism, and how sometimes the greatest adventure is actually beginning one.

Overall, Up is an exhilarating thrill-ride and the most fun you’ll have at the movies all year. You’ve got balls, Pixar. And that’s why I admire you for… SQUIRREL!
Rating: 5/5"

Thankfully, the editor kept most of the original submission intact. The only changes were:

• replacing “… masterpiece for the ages” with “… masterpiece of animation in their latest film, Up.”

• removing “thrill ride” from the penultimate sentence.

• removing the non-sequitur exclamation of “SQUIRREL!”, probably to prevent reader confusion (and which I was annoyed about, since Up was already in release for two weeks and most people who watched it would ‘get’ the joke).

But yeah, I’m really thankful I managed to do my part in promoting what I think is one of the best films of the year. :slight_smile:

Up is ,in my opinion, the best Pixar film I have ever seen. What really got me was the opening montage of him growing old with his wife and it made me cry when [spoil]his wife died[/spoil]. Up is a great overall film that I will always remember as one of Pixar’s greatest. In my opinion this isn’t really a kids movie because of the story of his love for his wife and if I were 6 I’m not sure I would enjoy it that much. I love this movie and I hope everybody else does too.

4/4 Stars

Well, Up is emotionally, visually, and overall overwhelming. My mom and sister were crying in the theater. I loved it so much, I was proud to go see it as my B-day gift. I always have the highest expectations for Pixar, and they go above and beyond the call of duty every year. I LOVE UP!! :smiley:

This is the script for a review I did on YouTube, if ya wanna watch it in video form here’s a link to it youtube.com/watch?v=G3LHjgIQVr8

If ya wanna just read it though, well, I’ve quoted it below :slight_smile:

Wow, you certainly are a devoted Up fan. :smiley: I really enjoyed your review.

Thanks ^^ It means a lot.

That’s quite some review, Leon K Fox! You’ve made some great points (for example, about how little time Carl and Ellie actually spend on screen together) and I agree with your review on the whole.

Thanks ^^ I’m rather pleased with the response the review has gotten thus far to say the least :slight_smile: