Pixar Planet

Presto

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Presto

Postby Elikrotupos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 pm

Presto (2008)
Image Image

Presto DiGiotagione, a turn-of-the-century magician, is famous for an astounding hat trick. Presto's apprentice rabbit, Alec, however, is dissatisfied as he shares none of Presto's wild success. While Presto is out eating lavish dinner, Alec is left behind, locked in a birdcage with a carrot torturously out of reach.
Directed by Doug Sweetland. Sweetland also voices Presto and Alec.
5 min

EDIT: Image from AWN Magazine. Old image from Cartoon Brew.
Synopsis from Disney A to Z supplement, by Dave Smith.
Last edited by Elikrotupos on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image
«web» «blog» «forum»
Elikrotupos
Garbage Boy

Postby Archibald » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Aaaah... It's about time they announce the sort attached to Wall•e ! :D

Sounds and look very Pixarish :mrgreen:
Archibald
Garbage Boy

Postby Bill » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Ah, now this looks like a great Pixar short film. The screenshot looks great, the premise sounds good, and it's fantastic to see Doug Sweetland directing. He's one of Pixar's top animators, and the fact that he's the voice actor for this as well is intriguing.
Bill
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby JesusFreak » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 pm

I love all this new Pixar news! this looks promising. :D
JesusFreak
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Elikrotupos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Note the consonance between "Presto DiGiotagione" with the italian word "prestidigitazione" (prestidigitation)

but also a bad note...
this short seems very similar to an early PDI computer-animated short, Gabola, the Great Magician... this is not good...
Image Image
«web» «blog» «forum»
Elikrotupos
Garbage Boy

Postby martini833 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:56 pm

This sounds awesome, can't wait!! I can see the magician being very snooty and the bunny being very clumsy and hilarious.

EDIT: I watched Gabola the Great, and although I see what you mean with the similarities, there may be considerable differences, for example, PDI's short is a magicians show, while Presto is most likely about the back stage life of Presto and the Rabbit, Alec, with a scene featuring his act. Of course, that's just a prediction, but the plot details are pretty specific. it looks very comedic, and emotional at the same time.
Note: I love how it clearly says PDI but they still label it as Pixar. :P
martini833
Upcoming Pixar Alumni

Postby Sky » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 am

The rabbit is so cute and the magician looks like he could be a character from Ratatouille, or something. The idea is very Pixarish, indeed. I want to know if this will be dialogue-free. It's better when Pixar can tell a story without dialouge: makes it more interesting to watch. Although, since a lot of the first part of WALL•E is dialogue-free, they may not want to go with that approach...

Either way, this looks like another fantastic short film! :mrgreen:
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby lennonluvr9 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Finally! so it's about magic, ay? Looks like fun to me.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby remy_must_save_henri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Are you sure this will be released with Wall-E?

Because a few websites told me that WALL-E will start with a new Cars themed Pixar short.
By the way, I'm female. I just tend to use my fanfiction characters' names in my movie forum usernames.
I have seen WALL•E twice.
remy_must_save_henri
Garbage Boy

Postby azzstar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Looks good, but it would have been better if they kept with the sci-if theme and release it with WALL-E.
azzstar
Garbage Boy

Postby azzstar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 pm

remy_must_save_henri wrote:Because a few websites told me that WALL-E will start with a new Cars themed Pixar short.

Can you list some of those websites? Please.
azzstar
Garbage Boy

Postby Fairly Odd New Yorker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 am

Hehe, it looks cute. ^_^ I can't wait to see it, whenever it comes out.
Fairly Odd New Yorker
Master Scarer

Postby Elikrotupos » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:05 am

The supplement of Disney A to Z says that it is attached to WALL-E and released on June 27, 2008, and CartoonBrew announced a month ago that the short attached to WALL-E would be directed by Doug Sweetland, so I think it's pretty sure that this is our next Pixar Short.
The new Cars short is rumored, but I don't think it's going to be released too early.

I watched Gabola the Great, and although I see what you mean with the similarities, there may be considerable differences, for example, PDI's short is a magicians show, while Presto is most likely about the back stage life of Presto and the Rabbit, Alec, with a scene featuring his act. Of course, that's just a prediction, but the plot details are pretty specific. it looks very comedic, and emotional at the same time.
Note: I love how it clearly says PDI but they still label it as Pixar. Razz

I'm sure that Presto will be hilarious and great. Gabola was nothing more than a test, and its humor was a bit splatter... But choosing the same theme, the same characters (an italian magician and a vexed rabbit) isn't too original, comparing it to the original ideas of the previous shorts. Anyway I'm sure it will be different, and i am waiting for it :D
Last edited by Elikrotupos on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
«web» «blog» «forum»
Elikrotupos
Garbage Boy

Postby aey023 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:18 pm

I think it will be great :D
aey023
Ant

Postby azzstar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Elikrotupos wrote:Note the consonance between "Presto DiGiotagione" with the italian word "prestidigitazione" (prestidigitation)

but also a bad note...
this short seems very similar to an early PDI computer-animated short, Gabola, the Great Magician... this is not good...

No worries, it like A Bug Life and Antz, with completely different stories.
azzstar
Garbage Boy

Next

Return to Pixar's Short Films