Pixar Planet

Presto

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby wallerat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:28 pm

I agree, lizardgirl!
THe audience I was with was laughing histerically too! A lot of the other PIxar shorts have seemed to take too long, but this one was way too short! I have to say, best Pixar short ever!!
wallerat
Mutant Toy

Postby MidgardDragon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:58 am

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Just like a classic short, only with Pixar quality animation and even better jokes than we remember from the "Bugs" cartoons. Everyone laughed at this short every time I saw the movie.
MidgardDragon
Mutant Toy

Postby ilikepinatas » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:52 am

I ruined my surprise.. But it was still awesome! I was youtubing the Presto preview (again..) and I found that somebody had put up the full short(probably taken down though because of copyright now) but yes it was LEGENDARY! Can't wait to watch it on the big screen! :D
ilikepinatas
Mutant Toy

love it!

Postby openteng » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 am

hoho~~I love Presto !! Very funny! XDXDXD
Some people say that the magician just looks like Walt Disney~
the rabbit is cute,looks cute~
the music at the beginning sounds great!
"Put That Thing Back Where it Came From Or So Help Me!"
openteng
Ant

Postby lizardgirl » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 pm

There's something about that bit in Presto when [spoil]the magician comes into the room, smacking his lips and wiping his mouth. It's just all so exagerrated, but it fits so well with the theme of the short. The same could be said of the little twinkle in his eye when he opens up the special magic box containing his hats- so cheesy, yet so good![/spoil] :lol:
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby zada » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:17 pm

I love how it's so funny from the beginning [spoil]with the noises of desperation and you're like 'what issss thatt?!?!!' and then the camera pans right and you just see the bunny trying to get to the carrot.[/spoil] haha love it
zada
Shark Bait

Postby Wolfy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:40 pm

I loved it, It looked amazing on the Screen. One of my favorite parts was [spoiler]when the rabbit dropped the ladder through the hat and went out the other side.[/spoiler]
I killed a man, with this thumb. I've seen Wall-E 5 times before it came out on DVD.
Wolfy
Ant

Postby martini833 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Some more Pixar in-jokes in Presto:
One of the pictures in Presto's office is of the Lucky 7 Lounge at Pixar!
Many of the props in his office are right off of Ratatouille.
martini833
Upcoming Pixar Alumni

Postby uruseiranma » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 am

This is going to sound strange, but I had this thought on the bus home from work today: has anyone taken the story of 'Presto,' and made a small story from Alec's pov?

Example:

[spoil]
Alec watched as the ladder kept extending out of the hat, Presto's face contorting with each hit of a new rung. Finally, the ladder stopped extending, and Presto hit the floor. With amazing dexterity, the magician jumped to his feet, breaking the ladder. With a flick of his wrists, he grabbed a broken piece of the ladder, and his top hat. As Alec watched, Presto put the piece piece of wood between his teeth, and magically produced the carrot from thin air. The sight of it made Alec's eyes light up.

But then, Presto placed the carrot on the raised table, and covered it with a handkerchief. What is he doing now, wondered the little rabbit. He didn't have to wait long to find out, as Presto grabbed the piece of wood from between his teeth and started to violently smash the carrot under the handkerchief. Offstage, the little rabbit screamed in horror as his dinner was smashed into pulp.[/spoil]
uruseiranma
Garbage Boy

Postby Rey » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Here’s some more information on the “Presto” Screening and Seminar this coming Friday at the Asian premiere event in Hiroshima.

I am so hoping I can get an English transcript from this event. Just makes my translating job much, much, easier. I could take days translating the screening and seminar back to English from Japanese.

http://hiroanim.org/en/e02program/2-03-08_en.html
Rey
Garbage Boy

Postby Rey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 am

Here is some news about “Presto” from the 12th International Animation Festival Hiroshima 2008. I don’t know if any of the news is old or new news. There’s nothing written from the “Presto” seminar. I’ll be searching, still, for any notes from the seminar from Doug Sweetland ダグ スイートランド.

Check out the last page. The pdf file size is 8.67MB.
http://hiroanim.org/pdf/lappy12_2.pdf

Oh, by the way, the theatrical release of Presto and WALL-E will be December 20th in Japan. Japan will be the last country on planet earth to see the latest movie from Pixar. Ah Man! :cry:
Rey
Garbage Boy

Postby martini833 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:14 am

For those of you interested in the behind the scenes stuff from Presto, check out this interview with Doug Sweetland from Spline Doctors: http://splinedoctors.com/2008/08/doug-sweetland-part-2/
It's part two, so to catch up if you need to, listen to part one here: http://splinedoctors.com/2008/07/doug-s ... st-part-1/
It's pretty interesting like most Spline Doctor interviews. :)
Edit: Some fun facts from the interview follow,
* Presto is the Talon LaBarthe (the lawyer) model from Ratatouille with a new head.
* The original story was that Presto's rabbit ran away so Presto's act is ruined. Then a fan boy rabbit comes knocking on the door, and Presto casts him as Alec, and chaos ensues!
* The short was originally going to be 3 minutes long, and all through production they struggled with timing, it sort of shos in the final product, my only complaint on this magnificent short.
* They tried to use a rat model for Alec, but it didn't work.
* Motion blur was tweaked to make it look like dry brush strokes but done carefully to make sure outlines are still seen.
* The models were so stylized and the characters were so snappy, that keeping clothes on them was a struggle (this was a test for Up).
Last edited by martini833 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martini833
Upcoming Pixar Alumni

Postby PolynesianMedic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 pm

This was, IMHO. by far the BEST short that has come out of Pixar Yet! Great Job guys!
PolynesianMedic

Postby Pixar.rocks » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Presto was wonderful ! Not a surprise :P
I loved how the music coordinated with the the actions and stuff.

Pixar great job, like always !! :wink:
Pixar.rocks
Toy Collector

Postby nathan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 am

It was brilliant, I just saw it last night with my mum and we were laughing our heads off. I can't wait for the Wall-E DVD to come out so I can watch it again.

8)
nathan
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Pixar's Short Films