Pixar Planet

Geri's Game

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby GregM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 pm

I really do like the sense of wonder and facial expressions that Geri has in this short...well done by Jan!
Thanks
Greg
www.pixartalk.com
GregM
Ant

Postby DrivingMishCrazy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:00 am

Duuude, this is my favourite short! Can't believe I never knew the name of it until now, though. I remember watching it as a little kid and thinking it was awesome.
Psalm 46:10

DrivingMishCrazy
Ant

Postby GlennD » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:32 pm

This one and presto are my two favorite shortmovies. I really love the concept of this one. Well excecuted for sure!
GlennD

Postby Flik-E » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Geri's Game was a classic. It was also a fun little in-joke to have him appear in Toy Story 2, which kind of worked on people cause of the knowledge of what short he was just in a year ago. :wink: Did anyone else feel as though this short kind of fit with the main feature somehow when it was paired up with A Bug's Life? Maybe because he was outside with all the trees. I had a similar feeling when I saw that Up came with the short Partly Cloudy and both of them took place in the clouds.
Flik-E
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby mogwai_milkshake » Fri May 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Flik-E wrote:Did anyone else feel as though this short kind of fit with the main feature somehow when it was paired up with A Bug's Life? Maybe because he was outside with all the trees. I had a similar feeling when I saw that Up came with the short Partly Cloudy and both of them took place in the clouds.

That was my interpretation. I always assumed that Knick-Knack was paired up with Finding Nemo because the snowman ends up in a fish tank at the end (!)

Anyway, Geri's Game has long been my favourite Pixar short, as well as one of my favourite pieces of short animation, period. Partly because I like the concept, and because the execution was just immaculate, but also because I find Geri so fascinating as a character. I was delighted when he made an appearance in Toy Story 2 (along with his chess pieces!). For the record, and although there certainly is some gentle poignency to this short, I never saw Geri as being particularly "desperate" or "deluded", but rather happily eccentric. He really knows how to make the most of his time by himself, and hats off to him for it.

Another thing I love about Geri as a character is that he's very recognisably modelled upon Jonathan Harris, who I believe went on to voice him in Toy Story 2 (I'm a fan of the classic TV series, Lost In Space, and of Harris's character in particular, so that goes down well with me). Following Harris's death in 2002, I guess it's unlikely that we'll be seeing very much more from Geri, but it would be cool it he could at least have a non-speaking cameo in a future project some time - maybe have Bob Peterson provide his sneaky giggling again.
You can sneer, or disappear
Behind a veneer of self-control
mogwai_milkshake
Garbage Boy

Postby love70ways » Sun May 30, 2010 3:40 am

This is my absolute favorite short film ever made (though Night and Day might win me over). It is just so smart and witty, and I have a stange passion for old men in movies.

The pairing with A Bug's Life is awsome though. I remember watching the two together when I was very little.

Actually, in the fith grade I did my research project on animation. In my presentation of the project, I presented Geri's Game to the class. At that time I didn't know it was my favorite short ever, but I remembered thouroughly enjoying it, and so I chose it to show to the class. I had to fast forward through the ABL vhs the night before so that it was perfectly cued up! The class also really liked it. Twas wonderful.
love70ways
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Carol » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 am

This is my favorite short. I actually thought about filming myself reenacting the short. Geri's and Geri's facial expressions are hilarious.
An advocate for good Fanfiction.

Written for MU/MI here: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1096271/Ava-Kane
Carol
Mutant Toy

Postby Geoff-uk1234 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 pm

I love this short. I found it very funny and amusing when I first saw it on my old A Bug's Life tape. The way Geri fakes his heart attack never gets old. :)
"Animation is not a genre, it's an art form." - Brad Bird

https://letterboxd.com/Gst95/
Geoff-uk1234
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:48 pm

This short might be a reason why I joined chess club in elementery school!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Guitarlynn53 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:36 am

Geri's game is cool,Very funny :lol: 8D

follow me on twitter @Guitar_Viking :)

I'm just a guitar playing viking
Guitarlynn53
Garbage Boy

Postby Loxeni » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:06 am

I love Geri's Game! I remember watching it constantly when I was about eight or so, being a budding Chess player it really fascinated me. I haven't watched it in years though, guess I will have to hunt out my A Bug's Life VHS!
Loxeni
Ant

Re: Geri's Game

Postby definedancing » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm

I remember this on my A Bug's Life VHS and, I'll be honest, he used to terrify me! It was 4 minutes of "please let this be over, it's so creepy" at the cinema, and I went to see ABL twice so it was double the terror.

Now though, as an adult, I realise how brilliant it actually is, and I cracked up when I saw it again. Stellar animation for it's time, me thinks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby Nuclear » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:16 am

When I first saw Geri's Game i was very young, I remember that I couldn't belive how good the movie was, that's when I start falling in love with Pixar :D
Nuclear

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 am

Nuclear wrote:When I first saw Geri's Game i was very young, I remember that I couldn't belive how good the movie was, that's when I start falling in love with Pixar :D

What a great film to claim as your entry into the fandom.

Welcome to the boards, and Happy Posting!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 am

Geri's Game is such as classic. It's the first Pixar film short I've ever seen. The only thing is, I don't seem to have a good reason as to why I like it other than Geri just seems like such a fun character. In recent years, I've been wondering what the moral of the story is exactly. Is it just showing how even at an old age, you can be a wise, fun-loving person full of spirit? Is it just demonstrating the creativity in the way his mind thinks? I still love it either way, and his appearance in Toy Story 2 was hysterical!
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

PreviousNext

Return to Pixar's Short Films