Pixar Planet

Night and Day (Toy Story 3's Short)

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Night and Day (Toy Story 3's Short)

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 am

A lot of people have commented that in forums and such, but I'm sure it's not what the film intended.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 am

Yeah, I didn't see it really, and I don't think it was intended, if that is what people are seeing. I think in general people like to sexualize things in general, so I'm not surprised.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Exactly. Whenever something has a message about tolerance to those who are different in general, it becomes tolerance to those who are different in their sexuality.

Of course that case is also included in the film's moral, but it's not the only one.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby PIXARfan09 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 pm

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:Yeah, I didn't see it really, and I don't think it was intended, if that is what people are seeing. I think in general people like to sexualize things in general, so I'm not surprised.

I wasn't trying to sexualize anything. I was just trying to watch an animated PIXAR movie and what was presented before me came across that way. Oh well. Not important- just sharing.
"SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP YOU IDIOT!" ..."WHAT???!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN' ABOUT???!!!" -Woody TS1

Bloat, Gurgle, Bubbles: "Sharkbait! Hoo ha ha!"
Gill: "Okay, enough with the Sharkbait."
Gurgle: "Sharkbait! Hoo... Ba ba doo"
PIXARfan09
Shark Bait

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:25 am

I'm not accusing you of anything or saying that you're wrong.

As Spirit rightfully pointed out, the film is about tolerance. So sexuality can be under that umbrella, but I just think the film is about tolerance in general, not solely regarding Homosexuality.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Exactly. I don't see any indicative that they singled out homosexuality over any other form of tolerance in the film.

Granted, both characters seem to be male, but I don't see why their interaction is anything more than friendship. If anything, they are clearly attracted to the bikini girls.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:33 am

Spirit of Adventure wrote: If anything, they are clearly attracted to the bikini girls.

Haha, I forgot about that part!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 am

Oh, that's right! Unless something is quite obviously making a point regarding this matter, most people will probably just read into this short as far as two different-behaving yet similar characters learning how to become friends and respect each other's differences. I don't know about anyone else, but that's all I got from it, and I loved it.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:01 am

The more I think about it, this is probably my favorite short.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 pm

I think so too, e-j-e.

It's not only my possible favourite because of what it tells, but also because of what a technical achievement it was.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 am

Spirit of Adventure wrote: but also because of what a technical achievement it was.

Yes, this is very true. No matter how many times I see it, I am impressed by the mix of 2D and Computer animation.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 am

Day and Night is one of my favorite shorts. An old idea re-invented and combined with this new artistic representations makes this a great achievement. If it weren't for Luxo Jr., this would be my favorite original short, so it is therefore a classic in my eyes.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm

This is just my opinion. But I really think you get what you put in. Basically, you would see it as being about religion if that's what you're interested in. Personally, back in 2010 we had this contest on the forum. And the prize was a Day and Night book autographed by Teddy Newton. Personally I related it to a topic which is every personal to me! Here, you can read the entries from myself, and the other 2 winners. I was so shocked to win. I still treasure my book. <3

http://pixarplanet.com/blog/day-night-c ... -announced
No more let life divide what death can join together.
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero

Postby techgropse » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:11 pm

TechGropse is a leading AngularJS mobile app development in Singapore, the USA who provides their services professionally and have a team of developers who has years of experience in AngularJS development services and because of our app developers, we are able to become the one of the best AngularJS development company.
techgropse
Ant

Postby techgropse » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 am

If sports betting in India is going to be legalized it will be a great boon for mobile game development companies and Indian Govt.
techgropse
Ant

Previous

Return to Pixar's Short Films