What do your family and friends think?

I apologise if there’s already been a thread about this, but I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything.

So, what do your friends and family think of your love of Pixar films? Are you happy to tell people about your passion for Pixar, or do you prefer to keep it to yourself? Do you know people (in real life, not on here :laughing:) that are like-minded? And have you ever been criticised or made fun of because of it?

Neat thread, lizardgirl! :smiley:

Home-Base - My parents are animators, so, naturally, the fact that we would all turn out to be Pixar geeks was unavoidable. (Well, actually, I’m the only true Pixar “geek”, but my entire family does admire the studio and its personnel. Additionally, my dad worked alonside John Lasseter, Joe Ranft, and Brad Bird on The Fox and the Hound, so he knows some of the guys there. Some of the stories he told were pretty interesting.) None of us ever miss a Pixar film when it comes out, and we’re pretty much on-par regarding which ones we love and which ones we don’t care about as much. (My mom and I had something of a friendly duel after she admitted that she hated WALL-E. [She kinda likes it now, though!]) The only time things really get annoying is the period when there’s just a few months left leading up to an upcoming Pixar release – I will literally count down the days to its release, along with my sister. Other that that, we’re all proud Pixar supporters!

The Real World - Besides you guys, the only time I ever really talk to anyone else about Pixar is when they, a) notice that I’m wearing a Ratatouille shirt and mention that they love the film, or b) comment on my Pixar-related artwork. There are, however, some exceptions. One example involves that of my current job. I presently work at a theater, and when I was first hired I noticed the Up posters laying around. I asked my managers early on if I could have them, but they told me to wait until last/this/next week to request them. After three months of waiting, I put in my “order” yesterday. Still, during the time leading up to that, I made sure they knew that I was a Pixar freak and that I wanted the dang posters. (I did it politely, of course. I’d just, you know, ask them if they were looking forward to any movies this year… or if they liked Pixar or something.) So far, I seem to be the geekiest Pixar fan there (I would literally silently quote the Up trailer whenever it played on the T.V. screens, which was every… twenty-five minutes, I believe; I’m under the impression that most of my co-workers think I’m completely nuts), if not the only one, and proof that it showed finally came about yesterday. My shift was about to end when one of my managers asked me, “So, are you looking forward to Up?”, and I went all, “Heck, yeah!” without hesitation. I think he smiled, although… I kind of “over-geeked” the moment when I said that I’d been waiting for it for a whole year, to which he replied, “You’ve known about it for a year…?” It was kinda funny, actually. (heheh)

So, yes, most people I meet love Pixar’s stuff, while others aren’t sure if they want to see a “kid movie” when one of their films is on the verge of a cinematic release. Those who doubt Pixar’s excellence probably end up loving it regardless. As for myself, I don’t care what people think of my obsession, and if they call a Pixar movie a “kiddy film” then I preach. :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

P.S. I checked this entire section of the forum boards, and I didn’t see any other thread like this one, so you’re good, lizardgirl. :wink:

At home, my parents know all about my love for Pixar, mainly Cars. :laughing: Heck, my mom has put together Cars themed birthday decorations for my birthday today! XD

I used to hide my obsession from everyone, but now I’m okay with telling the world. Escpecially today. I wore my new Lightning McQueen t-shirt to school. :slight_smile: Now, I’ve annoyed my friends a little with it, but they just need to respect it.

Home: My brother is a big movie buff. He appreciates Pixar, but is not even close to being the Pixar geek I am. I invited him to go to Up opening night with me and he declined because is seeing a different movie that comes out the same day. My parents enjoy the films. In fact, I usually can get my dad to see them with me in theaters. They accept the fact that I am obsessed with Pixar. I think it helps them knowing I want to work there some day.

Real Life: Some of my fellow animation students are big fans of Pixar as well. Although not as big of fans as I am. I feel comfortable geeking out about Pixar to them because they don’t really mind. Some will join in. Back in high school, I didn’t really talk about Pixar. When I do now with old friends, they sometimes roll their eyes at me and laugh. Oh and I’ve been called “cute” for my love of Pixar. :laughing: It’s usually just in good fun, so I don’t mind too much.

I am pretty open about my Pixar obsession. My family is well aware, and so is a lot of my friends.

I can say that my parents overall are totally cool with my thing about Pixar, since they enjoy Pixar films as well (Not as much as I do, but enough to accept me). They totally think I should work there someday, and I agree, working at Pixar is my dream job. :slight_smile:
As for friends, they all seem accepting as well. Most people seem to enjoy Pixar films, so it’s not like anyone thinks I’m creepy about my love for the company. I can’t say any of them are like-minded like I am and that we share the same exact love for the entire company and not just the movies, but that’s ok with me.
Overall, it seems like most people enjoy Pixar, but no one really comes close to loving Pixar as much as I do.

I can’t say I’ve ever really been criticized by people, but there have been times where I have gotten fed up with people who have a hate for Pixar for whatever reason and say it’s just another money-grubbing company that thrive on pop-cultural gag references. Yes I’ve come across someone whose excuse for not liking them is because he thinks they’re just a pop-culture gag warehouse… Weird I thought that was Dreamworks.

I think my love of Pixar is the first thing somebody know about me :laughing: I’m pretty loud and VERY open about my obsession, and for the most part people at school accept that. I’ve been made fun before for wearing an Up or Cars tee, but I don’t mind. If they don’t enjoy Pixar as much as I do, who cares? Although it would be nice if they just wouldn’t mock me. As for home, my family likes Pixar, not on the same scale, but they do enjoy the films and sometimes watch them with me.

Pretty much nobody knows truly how much I like Pixar, but I think my mom has some sense about it (she bought me the Pixar shorts collection for Christmas, and I find myself often asking her if I can buy Up or Pixar related items). Other than that, a few people know that I like Pixar, but that’s about it.

Okay, that’s cool Mitch. And thanks! :smiley: Haha, you’re in a pretty good position family-wise- I can’t imagine a better sort of family to be able to share your Pixar fandom with considering your parents’ jobs! :laughing:

I hadn’t thought about those of you who are animation students; it must be nice to have peers who are truly able to understand why you love Pixar, Hannahmation!

Seems like people are pretty open about their love of Pixar, which is cool. I had a bit of a hard time sharing it at first myself, because originally it wasn’t really a love of Pixar but more a love of Randall which quickly developed into a realisation that Pixar films are generally awesome, but neither my parents nor my peers really got what was so special about these animated, ‘childish’ films. Luckily my current friends are much more accepting of who I am because I’ve known them for so long now, so they know that when they see a trailer of the next upcoming Pixar film, it’s a film they’re going to be seeing at some point too because I’ll drag them along with me to see it. And they seem to enjoy Pixar films anyway, so it’s not such a bad thing.

Most of my friends kind of roll their eyes when I start talking about Pixar…But there are a select few who share the same interests in the studio. I’ve learned not to yak on about Pixar while around certain people. :stuck_out_tongue:

Real life… I can’t say I’ve ever met a Pixar fan that is a big of a fan as me in real life… The only way, I think, would be if I met up with one of the uber fans from this website. Which is why I was geeking out a bit the first time I spoke to youse all in the fan commentaries - I couldn’t believe there were actually people who were big Pixar fans like me. I only have one t-shirt that I’d wear out, but so far no-one has approached me yet. I’m sorta quiet about my Pixar fandom 'cause I don’t think anyone would understand, or be interested, since it’s not something people my age or gender, are usually interested in, on a whole.

People who know me in real life know me for a lot of things, but mainly I’m the kid who’s obsessed with Pixar.
I’m not embarrased to admit it and I highly encourage anyone who hides it not too because it’s who you are!
I mean, some people get annoyed, i cna spin Pixar into any conversation, but I learn to live with that.
At the end of the day, they all enjoy Pixar’s films, so it’s all good.

My family enjoys Pixar. We have a family member who works there, so regardless, we are forced to love PIxar movies anyways. BUt still, we all love PIxar movies. Pixar movies are times where we all get together and enjoy each other as a family.

My friends loves PIxar movies as well. Not as much as everyone here, but they pick Pixar over Dreamworkds. Not much to say after that.

Most people know. They annoy me about it, as well as complain (on occasion, taunt me if they’re jerks), but most are pretty good.

Oh and Robert, I totally know how you feel on both points! There are so many people who don’t know who Pixar is. And that complete misconception about Pixar “ruining” Disney. What a load of pure crap! Pixar is the best friggin thing Disney has right now, and anyone with a lick of sense could relise that! It was Disney themselves that removed tradional on their own. Yeah, I seriously think Pixar is twisting their long black moustaches in glee as Disney shut down the traditionals. Whatever.

And also never mind the fact that it’s people from PIXAR who are bringing the traditionals back, for Gods sake!

If these people acutally SAW the movie, they would love it, I’m sure!

I get made fun of for liking Pixar.

I think it’s so upsetting to know that people are made fun of or resented for liking Pixar! Come on! That’s not a good reason to do so! So what if we like a certain movie or movie company!? That’s not a reason to tease us! We Pixar fans need to stand up for ourselves! Just ignore the haters!

Who are they? I want names! Your big brothers and sisters here at Pixar Planet will “take care of the situation”. :stuck_out_tongue:

most of the people I am friends with or related to just accept it. I get teasing from my family for liking the Beatles, not Pixar. Many of my friends still love seeing cartoons so liking Pixar is not an issue there either, since most of us at least having a passing interest in them. We know that Pixar’s not just for kids :slight_smile:

My older sister, a friend of mine, and, well, another friend of mine finds its fine that I like Pixar, but he makes fun of me cause my favorite Pixar movie is Toy Story.

My little brother criticizes my Pixar fandom. He’s such a little jerk.

Other than that, my family knows I like Pixar and they don’t seem to care… at all.

And I dare not mention my fandom to my freinds at school. I would get anything from being teased to getting beat up (and these are my “freinds”).