Fandom trends you love

I was just thinking about this…since we already have a thread about all the fandom trends we despise and loathe, why not make one for the trends we do love and appreciate?!

(If there’s a topic like this already, please find the original and lock this one)

Helen/Bob one shots. I’ve found a few, and the less…gross ones make me so happy :smiley:

Funny, offbeat, and original stories. Preferably not shipping. (80% of the fan fiction community disappears)

If by “shipping”(which I still don’t get), you mean un-cannon characters, I totally agree. However, I love elaborations on existing pairs. When it’s good, at least. <3

I agree 1000000%. :-D)

Fantastic idea, JSWeC!

Well, I’m sorry, but I’m a sucker for shipping smush. But this is only if it’s involving an OC or a pairing I can accept.

Crossovers or reimaginings, if they work. It has to be believable, and it has to be entertaining.

I also like stories with dramatic elements in it. I guess I’m sadistic in the sense that I’m interested in ‘How are they gonna get out of this?’ situations, be it physical or emotional. The greater the challenge, the more engaging the story (which is true for any tale, come to think of it). If it’s just a story about two characters doing ‘fan-service’ cuddles or taking a stroll along the beach, I lose interest immediately.

Lastly, I love fanfictions with strong characters that I can relate to. I don’t mind if the character is weak in the beginning, but he/she has to undergo some transformation to emerge as the hero in the end. If it’s a side-character, he/she has to serve a purpose. If the OC is just another Mary Sue, I again, will lost interest.

TDIT: Thanks! :smiley:

Here’s some fandom trends I favor:

1. Good, believable humanizations. All right guys. You’ll probably get me for this, but I just love imagining non-human characters form stories in human form. It’s like a “what would happen if they were human and how would the story differ from the original” sort of thing for me. However, I am very picky about how a character is humanized. If it’s too literal (i.e. making WALL-E look like a cyborg or making Marlin and Dory mermaids or mer-men), it’s going a little to far for me. However, if it captures the basic essence of the character, and maybe even their occupation (e.g. Lightning McQueen as a racecar driver, Celia as a secretary, Dot as a little girl scout, PR-T as an actual beautician), that’s what grabs my attention.

2. Stylized fanart. I love it when people try to draw characters in their own style. It allows for creativity!

3. Clean fandom. Enough said. jumps into Dr. Drakken’s hovercar and gets away :wink:

I love JustSoWall-eCrazy’s Kim Possible fandom… does that count? Beacause it is pretty great.

I also really love constructive, supportive criticism. It is so nice to see members of a community helping their neighbors improve their art work and writting. I sort of live by the mentality that without criticism we cannoimprovet better our work, develop our abilities, and become better at our art. As well, it is so nice to see people genuinly caring about helping their fellow fandomers work improve. It really is the greatest thing.

As much as I love a good fanfic, I’m a sucker for the graphic-novel types most commonly found on DeviantArt.

love70ways: Why thank you! I actually don’t go much into regular fandom for KP because for some reason, people draw a lot of adult material for it (especially for points to avatar), and it’s just disturbing. :open_mouth:

But I’m glad you like my KP fandom. Have you been around my deviantArt page lately?

I agree! The nicely done ones are just awesome! It actually allows for a ton of creativity. I did one of Dory a little while back that I might redraw and post to here sometime. :smiley:

And yeah, I pretty much agree with Bryko on all his points. Some shipping is okay for me, but the gushy stuff, even when it’s a pair I actually kind of like, makes me feel nauseous. :stuck_out_tongue:

JSWeC

I do believe I visited your dA page last night, but I only remember your humanized Wall-E pieces. I’ll be sure to give it another check though!

EDIT Team Go! They really do look like they could pass of as the Incredibles.

I love interesting pairings with depth and challenges, and most of my favorite pairings are love/hate. I, too, dislike mindless mush fanfics which are done only for fanservice, especially in love/hate pairings. Hero and villain sitting on a beach holding hands? No. Hero and villain sitting on a beach holding hands when just fifteen seconds ago they were trying to kill each other? Yes, yes, yes!

So if you’re in the Incredibles fandom often it won’t take very long to figure out what I ship. :blush: I do like some canon, though, and I like Syndrome/Mirage (even though I don’t like Mirage) and Bob/Helen on the side. When they’re fighting all the time after the whole ordeal they went through or have split up, it makes the universe less believable for me and weakens the fanfic. Because of this I have never written a fanfic where they’ve separated.

Arkie, I don’t like Mirage, either!! :smiley: high-five

I <3 Helen/Bob, and the sad part is, I don’t know why… :mrgreen: :sunglasses:

Its because they are awesome, kind, sweet, adorable, and have many other great qualities. :smiley: I know I love them too! <3

Yes. MBP13, you should get an Incredibles signature. We must band together and hold up TI fort!!

YES we should. I’m not exactly sure how to make an incredibles signature though. :blush:

You can always pinch one from folks who post their creations on the ‘Fan Graphics’ board, as long as you credit them. :wink:

Or go to bannermaker.com :wink:

Ok :slight_smile: Thank you.