Turbo

Coming to theaters at high speed this summer, and here’s a trailer:

youtube.com/watch?v=OlQS9T_rug0

Argh, ya beat me to it! :slight_smile:

Well, can’t say much, besides really great use of a track from Drive (an excellent car movie too, btw), and the beginning really reminded me of Cars’ opening. Also, the whole ‘against all odds’ is similar to Kung Fu Panda, and the ‘helping others before yourself’ theme is borrowed from Cars.

Other than that, I await a full trailer with anticipation… I mean, I’m already won over by the little guy’s tenacity.

It’s gonna be…

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

It looks interesting. While I’m not really into cars I might look into it…

This, to me, looks like it’ll be the best of DW’s films this year. Upon seeing Madagascar 3, Rise of The Guardians, and How To Train Your Dragon all in the last year, my opinion of Dreamworks has heightened, as all three films have become favorites. I mean, it’s got snails and it’s got racing! What an unlikely but entertaining-sounding combo! And you know who this Turbo reminds me of? A little game I used to play called Snail Mail! Not quite the same thing, but they both have snails named Turbo, right? :smiley:

Funny you thought of a game, cos’ Turbo reminded me of another one too:

If you know how to sing the song like I do, you win one hundred Internets!

This is the first time I’ve heard of this! And funny, my first thought was Turbo from WIR! So I appreciate your joke TDIT.

But man, I am stoaked for this! I HATE snails, but that little guy is adorable! And Samuel Jackson and Paul Giamatti will be in it? Amazing!

I do find it a bit odd that a TV show is already in production for this film.

Since we’re sharing what outside sources reminded us of this trailer, this is what I thought:

^Hahaha! You guys sure can run your imagination around from one snail, huh? Yes, Turbo does look good. I’ll even bet it’ll be DreamWork’s best bug-centric movie yet! I really want to see what will happen to the little dreamer snail.

Well, I do hope it’s not as scary their last bug film, Antz. That movie gave me A LOT of nightmare fuel as a kid, with the termite invasion and wasp-squashing scene.

Haha, you’re not “going [spoil](to see)[/spoil] Turbo”, are you? :wink:

Not really asking you that, by the way, just riffing on the quote.

I, for one, am curious by the premise. I have to say this is Dreamworks’ most daring film yet. Let me lay it out for you:

Besides the inevitable comparisons to Cars and other snail-related stuff, I wonder how they are going to make an entire cast of snails compelling and loveable enough for us to emphatise with.

I mean, the studio usually has ‘funny animal’ or human characters… the furthest they’ve ever gone was dragons, and that turned out okay (alright, scratch that, they hit a home run on that, thanks to Chris Sanders and his team).

So for them to do gastropods, who move slow as heck; have no arms, legs, or limbs beyond their eye stalks; and no facial features beyond a mouth; is probably an animator’s worst nightmare.

The huge challenge of the execution alone has piqued my interest.

NEW TRAILER! :slight_smile:

I saw this at the advanced screening of The Croods but only caught the last half (I went out to get my 3-D glasses cos I wasn’t handed them before entering the theatre), so it’s good to see it in its entirety.

If I were to do an elevator pitch, I’d say it’s Ratatouille meets Cars. Cute jokes and lovable characters, but will it have a compelling story?

Thoughts?

Just seeing the poster makes me even more excited! Turbo’s adorbs, the logo is awesome, and the line “slo no mo” is just too clever! I’m still holding off on the trailer until I see it theatrically (I do hope to see The Croods anyway), but I’m still definitely looking forward to it!

Sorry to rain on the Turbo parade, but this movie just doesn’t stir up anything in me. The trailer doesn’t help, considering how loud and fast-paced it is. I literally could find no merit in it. Obviously, I’m no longer a DWA hater, but this just doesn’t look that good. DWA has surprised us before, so I’m holding out hope it is good. But I just didn’t get anything from it.

OWP: Took me awhile and a few readings of the tagline to geddit, but I like how it rhymes! Hopefully they tack the trailer before your Croods screening (let us know what you think of it in the Croods thread, I’m interested to see if anyone enjoyed it as much as I did or is it just me haha). Usually they’ll attach trailers that may interest the target audience of the main feature, so there’s a good chance that you might see the new Turbo trailer, especially since it’s from the same studio!

pixarfan: No need to apologise, you’re perfectly entitled to your opinion, haha! (okay that was rhetorical, you were being polite) :slight_smile:

I, too, am a little sceptical, judging from how manic the trailer is. Cars has a similar energy level, but at least you could see there’s some sense of grandeur and heartwarmingness in its trailer (from 1:05 onwards). There’s no sense of the “there’s more to this than just snails and giggles” vibe in Turbo’s trailer. Although I did laugh at a few of the gags (like Turbo’s peers pretending to move in slow-motion and their enthusiastic engine noises).

Right now the only thing it’s got going for it is the ludicruous premise (An animal wants to do something impossible for its species, and it befriends a human who can make that happen. Sounds familiar? :stuck_out_tongue:) and the incredible challenge from an animation standpoint (in an earlier post, I mention it’s incredibly difficult to convey expressions and emotions fro a snail, a practically limbless creature). Cars was Pixar’s character animation “feat”, and it’s interesting how a similar Nascar-themed movie from Dreamworks will be the equivalent.

I’ve been seeing advertising like crazy for this film. Who’s planning on seeing it?

Weirdly enough, I still haven’t seen the trailer for it! I kept waiting for it to show on MU or Epic, but nothing. Nevertheless, I still want to see it! Perhaps I’ll double-feature it with Planes and get a super fast-paced and fun combo! :slight_smile:

I’m not too interested. I mean I’m sure I’ll rent it, but I’m not buying a poster or anything.

Yes, defintely something I plan to see when it hits the Redboxes

Finally saw a TV spot for it today… my interest is now piqued moreso than before. Is it weird that I love the way the snail characters animate? They look so squishy! :3

I like how the family is Mexican, that’s a nice change.

I don’t like the premise of this one, probably will watch this online a few months after the release.

Granted, a lot of animated films with silly and outlandish premises are released, and are still done really well. (IE like an old man flying his house to South America).

But there is something about this that is so…so I dont’ know, odd? I guess? Why on Earth would you put a snail in the Indy 500? HOW DO YOU GET TO THAT POINT. So I’m curious, but at the same time I don’t know if I can take this movie seriously.