Underrated/unpopular cartoons you love

We all know about the popularity of some cartoons, particularly those about colourful equines and people who bend the elements. But what about some slightly more obscure cartoons, both classic and modern, that you still think are really fun to watch? Cartoons you never hear people talk about, but are still noteworthy to you?

Let’s go to some of my personal favourites to start it off.

Viva Piñata - I sadly missed it when it was on TV five-six years ago, but I recently re-discovered it on Hulu (I’ve been playing the games since they were announced - sorta). If you’re expecting it to be exactly like the games, you’re gonna be disappointed. While it’s more true to the source material than a certain other TV show based on a Rare videogame, it’s quite different. But! Still hilarious nonetheless. It’s by all means a kids’ show, but it’s clever, self-aware, and gets a lot of stuff past the radar.

Donkey Kong Country - Okay, this one deviates even more from the source material. But it was one of the first cartoons to use CGI, and while it shows, it’s still a fun show with good characters and interesting plots. Really good voice acting. Also, catchy musical numbers, and a surprising amount of emotional parts. Open mind required, though. Crystal coconuts are not banana hoards.

The Animals of Farthing Wood - Just about the only classic cartoon I’m as passionate about! One of the first shows I saw online, after I had read the book. Really good show, very serious compared to the others mentioned here (borders on the excessively violent sometimes, blood and all, and a lot of characters outright die) and has a lot of character development and a nice art style. Also good voice acting!

Robot and Monster - Okay, so I found out about this one on one bored mid-day when my parents were at work and while I was sitting on the couch, watching TV and surfing on the internet at the same time. The first episode I saw didn’t impress me too much, but I somehow ended up seeing it everytime I sat on the couch on those bored mid-days and it started to grow on me. I’ve only seen the Dutch dub as of yet, though.

So, what about you guys? …If there was already a topic like this, apologies.

I just recently discovered The Octonauts. Its so cute and I get to learn all about marine zoology.

Most of the cartons I like are pretty main stream, because adults find them “mature” and “edgy”. And that’s why I like them too! All I can think of is maybe Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse? I’ve never heard of anyone mention it outside of Flickr. I hate silly/dumb/idiotic things. I really do. But I have a soft spot for this webseries, as well as Monster High. Guilty of hypocrisy. Right here. I guess I like them just because they’re Mattel? I like a lot of the less silly Barbie movies too. They have excellent songs and the stories are clever. But people write them off because, well, they’re about Barbie. I think Life i/t Dreamhosue is so clever. It reminds me of Toy Story, and is the only comedy series I like at all.

I’ve heard of Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse! I’ve seen some gifs of it on Tumblr and they made me laugh. Maybe I do need to check it out as well.

Also, I actually like modern cartoons better than classic ones (sans My Little Pony, I’m sorry), am I the only one in that?

I like what I’ve watched of Life in the Dreamhouse too IV, even if that kind of thing isn’t usually my style! It’s just clever with the gags without coming off as snarky. It does remind me a bit of Toy Story, I like how their state as toys is acknowledged.

I admittedly enjoy plenty of cheesy animated stuff that most critics scoff at. :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember there was this one cartoon I used to love on Nickelodeon, but in was only on for one summer. It was called Wayside, and it was based on the Wayside School is Falling Down book series (never read it). The characters were very colorful and had great personalities, and the nonsensical situations they got into were always pretty funny. My favorite character happened to be this purple-haired tomboy girl named Dana, who always tried her best to be the teacher’s pet, but wasn’t so stuck up either.

I wish Nick could bring it back. It had a lot of potential.

Whatever happened to the Nick show TUFF Puppy? Did it get canceled, too? (Darn! It’s supposed to be from the creator of Fairly OddParents!)

JSWeC: I liked Wayside, too.

And I also used to watch Catscratch. What happened to it?

What about Jimmy Neutron? Or Kappa Mikey? What happened to those?

SUPER ROBOT MONKEY TEAM HYPERFORCE GO!

Seriously, how many folks here have even heard of this show? :blush:

evspixarfan2012: Jimmy Neutron did well for a long time. I remember they moved T.U.F.F. Puppy to Nicktoons channel (love that show too!!!)

As for the other shows that you mentioned, I guess what happens is that they try ideas over at Nickelodeon, and then give them a short run and see how popular it is among the audiences. According to an artbook I have for Avatar: The Last Airbender, they stated that Nick gave them an initial run of only thirteen episodes (pretty much about 60% of Book One), and waited to see if they would pick it up after that. For that reason, they made the episode “The Blue Spirit” a spectacular finish to the initial run they were given to see if the audience would want the show to continue. So I guess it all depends on “is this what the larger audience wants, or will it only gain a small following with not much ratings?”.

Netbug009: I’ve heard of that show; wasn’t it on Toon Disney/Jetix? It’s cool that you like it. I don’t care much for it, since during the time it was on, I was into Kim Possible (they really should bring it back to Disney Channel or Disney XD just to introduce it to a new generation).

I’m not seeing too much buzz on Wander Over Yonder anywhere (maybe there’s a small fandom hidden somewhere?) but it’s charming! Very classic McCracken designs and visual humor.

I’ve been meaning to check out Wander Over Yonder. I can’t help but love the character design and some friends of mine pointed out similarities to Banjo-Kazooie. |D
But before it reaches the Netherlands? It’ll probably take another year. We only recently got Gravity Falls here. Which is a cool show too but it seems more like it’d belong on Cartoon Network somehow.

Speaking of Cartoon Network, me and my boyfriend are all over The Amazing World of Gumball recently. It’s just a fun show and I love all the different art styles it uses. But it’s not very popular at all, or so I’ve noticed. WHICH IS A SHAME because it’s really funny, sometimes adorable and it’s just ingenious animation-wise.

…Also, I’ve been watching some TV recently, and what the actual frickle frack happened to Robot and Monster? It was the only new cartoon on Nickelodeon I thought was mildly amusing. Gosh dang it.

The Wuzzles I think its a very creative show. I love getting absorbed in the land of Wuz and leaving the real world for a bit. IMO, the Disney Renaissance started with this show and Gummi Bears.

There are quite a number of under-rated animated films I love and which I don’t see as bad films. Some of those are Don Bluth films from the 90’s. I’m a fan of all his films.

Clone High! Definitely deserved more than one season.

My Life as a Teenage Robot is an older favorite that comes to mind! I loved that show as a kid and I still enjoy it. I really want the DVDs that recently were released.

Donkey Kong Conutry.

Yes!! I agree