We must break out of the animation age ghetto!

It seems like lot of people think media like comic books, animated movies/shows, and video games are meant only for children. I think this attitude stifles creativity. I think there should be more comics and animated films/shows that cover mature topics. I think American animation is geared too much toward adult comedy and children’s entertainment. Can’t we have an animated show or movie cover a serious topic like war or politics? Comic books have already started covering serious subject matter. When will animation grow up? If comics could move past super heroes I don’t see any reason why animation should be relegated to adult comedy or children’s entertainment.

I hope someday American animators would make something like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=fIyeuK9QBJY

Well, adult centered animation does exist but its more used for adult comedy (example: Family Guy or South Park). For anime, the genre includes shows that have a more comedic and light-hearted (example: Hetalia) tone while there are others that are more realistic that deals with serious matters that humans would face in real life (example: Cowboy Bebop and Attack on Titan). I guess the whole “stereotype” for cartoons comes from the fact that a very large amount of cartoons are aimed for children and some try to make the cartoon appealing for adults as well.

I honestly would like to see animation utilized in more darker tones to push animators to their limits, to show what the medium is capable of.

Totally agree. Pan-Pizza made a great video on this subject:

youtube.com/watch?v=41Vq-aBaB6Q