Movie music!

Just wonderin…
I listen to movie soundtracks nonstop and I would really love to play music in movies. I can play piano, trumpet, French horn, and a very very tiny bit of guitar, and I was wondering, where should I get started?
P.S.: I"m in high school.

Well, I’d say you’d probably need to study music at college or university and get a degree in it, which is what a friend of mine is planning to do, but I’m not sure if this is necessary for all those who wish to be part of an orchestra involved in the movies.

Sorry I can’t be any more helpful.

that’s ok. :slight_smile:

Get started by practicing a lot and having a good teacher. You can continue on to study music in university, but realistically if you want to play in an orchestra, the requirement is that you be really good. Can’t stress that enough

Remember though that positions in orchestras last a long time and most likely you won’t easily get a position because openings don’t come every week.

The Hollywood music industry is tough. Movie scores are usually recorded in a week or less, with little to no practice. I’ve even heard stories from my band teachers about how soloists who missed notes after the second or third take were replaced without a second thought.

You’re gonna need a degree from a university, and to get a degree you’re gonna need to show a professor that you’re good enough to be his/her student.

The music industry is tough like that :smiley:

ok! i knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but I’m goin for it anyway. I have an awesome teacher right now, and I’ve been playing piano since kindergarten, so I’m not completely lost. Thanks for the info!