Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Well after watching Madagscar in 2005 I thought the animation and the satire in this film is brilliant.
And now finding out that it will be coming out in November 2008.
Looking forward to it, anybody seen Madagascar or Madagscar 2?
Any thoughts/ideas/comments on the film?

Seen the original, it was good. May see 2, but only when the DVD comes out, I’ll probably rent it.

Now people don’t really like Madagascar, and each to their own, however I did enjoy it, and not just because of the penguins.

The teaser isn’t much to judge by but I’ll almost certainly see it. If it’s better than Bee Movie or Shark’s Tale then it’s a thumbs up from me. Those two were abysmal.

I’m super excited for Madagascar 2, dude!!!

I enjoyed Madagascar and never got tired of it! :slight_smile:
The sequel might turn out as a good follow-up; I hope DreamWorks puts greatness into this film like the first one.

I saw Madagascar and I thought it was really cute. Now that a second one is coming out, I am excited for it even more. I love the animal characters.

I enjoyed the first Madagascar, it’s one the only DreamWorks Animation movies I truly liked besides Shrek. The character designs were nice and the story was pretty original, but the sequel looks like another DreamWorks quest for money to me. It’s kind of obvious why they’re making it, and I have low expectations for it.

Yeah, I agree I think it is the best one Dreamworks have done as I do not like Shrek or the other animation films that much.

I don’t know if they’re making a sequel for the money but i really enjoyed the first one !
Even if it’s a “quest for money” i think that they’ll do a good job.

I’m not to sure what to think of it…the first movie was okay, but I know the second was made more for money than anything else…let’s hope the storyline is decent.

-Kim

BLEURGHHH noooo!!! i am definitely one for decent sequels, ie. TOY STORY 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

i find many dreamworks films [except maybe kung fu panda] are gluttons for pop-culture humour, or fart gags (ie. both of them crass laughs)

i’ll probably love this “Madagascar 2” because that’s what I’m usually like with animated movies. i don’t mind the first one, then I looooooooove the second one, and then i really want there to be a third one. that’s what’s happened with ice age, toy story, and Shrek.

:sunglasses:

If there are any Madagascar fans, you’re gonna love this. The second trailer has been released! Well, actually, it’s kinda the first trailer with some extra bits like Mort (the little crybaby guy) failing a security check, the lemurs’ surprised reaction to the plane’s shaky take-off, and more of Skipper’s wisecracks.

Personally, I’m not a really huge fan of Madagascar (although when I first watched it, the annoying “I Like to Move It” song became an earbug for weeks afterwards). The characters looked a bit like puppets (think the recent Clone Wars movie), and their Looney Tunes animation didn’t really work for me. The plot was also kind of formulaic, not to mention the anticlimatic showdown with the Foosas. Don’t get me wrong, I admire Dreamworks for being daring with their character designs and the jungle setting was beautiful in a cartoonish kind of way (think Viva Pinata), but this (to me) sits somewhere in between the moderately bad Shark Tale and moderately interesting Shrek 2, ie plain mediocrity.

I’m hoping this sequel can do better. I’d like to see where Melman’s sudden declaration of love for Gloria (who sadly didn’t hear it, at least, initially) will take them, as well as how the gang’s parents and Dreamworks’ version of Africa will be depicted. If the cover of “The Art of Madagascar 2” is anything to go by, it looks pretty spectacular, so I’m at least intrigued. :slight_smile:

i can’t wait for them to attempt a sequal. Hopefully it will surpass ice age 2.

I’ll pass, it can’t be any better than Shrek 2… :unamused:

I liked Madagascar but I don’t know if Madagascar 2 will live up to it’s past.

it’ll be hard but i think they have enough options to think of new stuff.

Madagascar just got a major site revamp, with individual character games and a brand-new trailer that gives us a glimpse of their depiction of Africa and the native characters. Will.I.Am from Black Eyed Peas sings the official music video as well as voices a hippo called Moto Moto, a potential love rival for Melman over Gloria. (Don’t you just love romantic triangles? :wink: )

I don’t quite know what to think. It’s quintessential Dreamworks Animation, trying to be all ‘hip’ and ‘cool’ with the teens, meaning it’ll probably be full of pop-culture references, two-dimensional characters, and a semi-interesting plot. There’s tons of gratuitous ‘booty’ shakes in the site intro, and some ‘Alpha Male’ adult references in the new trailer. I suppose the moral of the story would be along the lines of Chihuahua, don’t forget where you came from, let’s all just get along…blablabla.

The only saving grace is the insightful ‘Music Video 2’ on their Videos section, which really should be renamed the ‘Making of’ the music video. There, we get to hear the master Hans Zimmer and the funky Will.I.Am chat about their creative process, and we get a few shots of Alex when he was young (which will probably be shown in the movie to illustrate how he lost his ‘roots’ or something). But it’s fun, and much, much more informative than the dreadful trailers in the rest of the section which feature the usual ‘block-shaped’ ugly characters. I liked Will.I.Am’s end quote “Electro-organic. That’s dope!” That, and the pretty African landscape (which for some reason reminded me of Far Cry 2).

Check out the official website, Go through the character bios, read the (as of now, non-existent :stuck_out_tongue:) plot summary, download the wallpapers, and play the games (they’re much better than Chihuahua’s). You know the drill.

‘Get Lost’ in Africa. In theatres 7 November.

I loved Madagascar for it’s looney toons animation (helps that it had a bit of John K’s Ren and Stimpy crew in it) but didn’t think much to the plot overall. I can’t stand the “Shrek” breed which seem to be catering for the “hip teens” with their pop culture references haha :smiley:

I did really like the giraffes character design though (forgotten his name…). I’ll most probably go see the sequel for the pretty animation. Dreamworks are pretty decent in that department when they want to be!

I’m hoping to see it only because my name is in it…Alex.

Wow i just realized i could be considered racist towards names for only supporting my own??