Animusic

I don’t know how many of you have heard of this project, but I came across it playing on the TVs at Best Buy, and my mind was completely blown. I had to share with you guys, just because it’s pure, simple, CG animation, and it’s amazing. (It kind of reminds me of the early CG animation I used to watch on Laserdisc - I know, I’m old - and which I can’t find anymore…)

Instead of animating a sequence to fit a piece of music, these guys create intricate and unique instruments, which will then play what the music tells them to play. The instruments are set in breathtaking backgrounds and scenery, so they’re just simple music videos, and the whole thing is very cool to just kick back and watch.

If you like futuristic techno, I recommend Starship Groove, but if you prefer your music a little more on the classical side, try Resonant Chamber. Pipe Dream is one so wide-sweeping that your eye won’t know where to look.

The official site, http://www.animusic.com, has clips from each of their videos, and they have two DVDs worth, with a third on the way.

I’m off to listen to Aqua Harp. It’s so soothing, it almost lulls me to sleep…

Sounds interesting…a great idea. I hope the aqua harp sends you into a soothing sleep Kyrie.

it’s genius, i wanted to buy the dvds few months ago but i forgot it! thanks for remembering :smiley:

the camera movements are very simples, but the music is interesting and the “instruments” are very original, in some way astonishing.

Oooh, what a unique concept! A lot of work must have gone into making sure the correct notes were played on-screen. The harp one is cute with the little droplets, but the “Resonant Chamber” one looks a bit creepy - I can’t get past those “hands” playing those stringed instruments, sorry! “Starship Groove” is very cool and reminds me of something Daft Punk would have released as a video clip (music video.) Thanks for sharing!

Oh i’ve seen one of their little videos a long time ago on Dreaming Moon , they’re simply AMAZING ! Don’t know why i haven’t metioned it before…

Wow, those videos are so cool! I’ve never seen anything like it! The timing is absolutely spot on- it must’ve taken ages to make these videos, considering how complicated some of them are. Thanks for showing us that, KE.

In Resonant Chamber, the things taht are moving sorta look like spider legs… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve seen some of those videos. AMAZING! The timing is superb which is quite spectacular especially considering some of the complex things being done.

Ooh, I love Resonant Chamber. :smiley: Thanks for sharing - I think I’ve seen something like these but I forget where … must be pretty hard to animate in sync with the music.

Well, I think I understand how the process goes, but here’s a “making of” featurette straight from the Animusic guys:

Part 1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrYqA8lO0U

Part 2
youtube.com/watch?v=2TzvuPB8ttU

This came from the Animusic website, on the Company - Software page:

Great discovery! I loved Pipe Dream, that was like a melodious Rube Goldberg machine!

Just had a look at some of their clips on YouTube (thanks for the heads up and the links). Very nice…

I have both DVDs and have even taken time to name the Starship Groove band members! I am obsessed! When’s 3 coming out?!

That was really cool! I watched the Starship Groove one and I really liked it. That was a clever idea they came up with.

Yah, I saw “Pipe Dream” on a movie screen when our theatre was trying to entertain those who arrived early. I bought the first DVD, and so far, my favorite is the harp droplets one. It’s just beautiful.

How do they synchronize it so well?

The program reads the music and tells the animation when to act. Once you set up the interface, you don’t have to do anything.

I am a big fan of animusic, and so are all my freinds. Our school music teacher let us watch it once, and that’s how I got interested.