Thomas Newman to score John Carter of Mars

Will Thomas Newman score John Carter of Mars?

• Yes. He is the best man!
  • Yes. I think he’s crap.
  • No. But I really wish he would.
  • No. Serves him right.

0 voters

This hasn’t been announced yet, but do you think that Thomas Newman will do the music for John Carter? The reason I ask is because he’s scored Andrew Stanton’s previous films. Because of that, I’m gonna say yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure. I don’t know what kind of movie John Carter is like, but I’m assuming it would be more of a John Willliams-style score, cause it’s based of an old serial, much like Indiana Jones. They might still use Newman, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else did. Isn’t Mark Andrews really big on this movie too? I would think he’d get some say, too

Misleading title much?

In answer to the question… probably. I’m confident that Thomas could adapt his style to this genre. He has a bit of a quirky style. If Andrew doesn’t think he’d be up for JCOM, I’d love for John Williams to do it, but I don’t think it’s Williams’ type of project either, and I don’t think he does Disney scores, anyway. (Don’t quote me on that.)

Like DocKenobi said, a John Williams score would be a good idea. For something of John Carter’s magnitude, the score should have some sort of catchy theme (think POTC or Harry Potter, the latter of which is actually Williams’ work).

Well, Pete Docters’s last movie, Monsters, Inc., was scored by Randy Newman, and now UP is being scored by Michael Giacchino.

I am going to say, that it could actually end up being done Michael Giacchino, since he has a pretty good adventure feel. I am sure that Thomas Newman could pull it off as well, but right now, style-wise, I am going to guess Michael Giacchino, if they are going with a composer that PIXAR has used before. Than again, it could be someone like Hans Zimmer, since this won’t be a complete PIXAR production.

Oh, and one more thing. You should probably add a question mark on the end of the name of this thread - it would be a little bit clearer. :wink:

• C-3PO

Yeah, I misled by that title too! And I was confused about the poll options. I assume they mean you either like him or you don’t, and you think he’s going to score it or he’s not. Well, I certainly hope he does! I haven’t been disappointed with his scores yet, they’re very good!

Or because… gasp shock… Pixar could actually work with someone they haven’t worked with before!

Which I am sure they will sooner, or later. I mean, there are all kinds of new director’s working on movies now, and when Brad Bird came into the mix, ultimately, so did Michael Giacchino. So, yes, I am sure that we will see them working with some more composers at some point…

• C-3PO

definitely. he’s Stanton’s friend!