The Croods (2012)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Croods

This is what Chris Sanders is working on next. This was originally supposed to be an Aardman production, but after their falling-out with DWA, it became just a DWA production.

Kirk DeMicco is the director of Space Chimps! :stuck_out_tongue: This should be an interesting directing duo…

The premise is not… great, but I’ll wait for more information before I judge.

hmm, this is will be interesting to see what Chris will do with somebody other than Dean as a partner. :stuck_out_tongue: I have high expectations for this, since HTTYD and Lilo & Stitch are two of my favorite movies…

I was thinking that too. I am a Chris Sanders fan, so it’ll be interesting to see what he whips up next.

Sounds like an interesting premise. I like Ryan Reynolds (a fellow Canadian :smiley: ), but Nicholas Cage is hit-and-miss. I have faith in Chris Sanders though, so I’ll definitely see this one.

Looks like this topic’s title could use an update…and we could use a trailer!

Less than eight months until the March 22 release date of The Croods. The first trailer for Rise of the Guardians came out eight months ahead of the release. It could be that the dangling DreamWorks distribution dilemma is holding up progress. Maybe an announcement (soon) from JK will free things up.

Meanwhile, here’s the most recent info:

comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92517

From the image they revealed a while back, this film looks like it’ll have some nice animation and fun character designs.

Here’s the first trailer. Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=VeG3Zmk08UU

Don’t know about you, but it looks really generic and uninteresting. The character designs, though unique, look pretty ugly. :confused:

I had similar feelings the first time I saw anything about How to Train Your Dragon. I ended up watching it ten times while it was in the theater. So I’ll wait until I see more about it.

Looks pretty mediocre. The dialogue is ridiculously on the nose to the point of parody (which can be funny, but not when it’s the crutch of your story) and though the story itself has potential, what’s seen here seems pretty generic. And don’t get me started on those awful character designs. There’s a way to design ugly characters that are still appealing, but these are just hideous. They suffer from the same facial-features-floating-on-flesh problem that Merida did to some extent, but way worse here. They just look like big blobs of hair and cloth simulation.

I do like the more animal-like movement of the characters though, it doesn’t always work here but it’s refreshing. The contrast in the lighting between the dark, muted cave and the lavish environments is awesome too. But so far I’m not sure if I see anything substantial enough to carry a full feature. (I could see this being an awesome short film if scaled down, though)

Oh, and last time I checked fireworks didn’t exist 329329843289398 years ago.

I feel pretty mixed about this. The story seems pretty generic, but I guess if it’s executed well that’ll be fine. I’m really just not digging the character designs though. In the act of stylizing them they just come off as blobs of flesh with hair and cloth as Bryko put it. The faces aren’t appealing to me.
I do think the animation itself looks pretty nice however, and the environments are gorgeous (and the contrast between the cave scenery and outside world scenery is incredible).

I’ll await more information on it because I think it definitely has potential and very well could surprise me pleasantly in the same way How to Train Your Dragon did. I just really don’t like the character designs so I feel automatically a little distanced from it, sadly. :neutral_face:

Well, I was very impressed by the trailers. And come on, it has Nic Cage!!!

I actually think that it looks really good! It dosnt look generic at all too me (then again, no film ever looks generic too me) And I think that it has a lot of potential.

Now, about the so-called “ugly” character designs, Come on, they’re CAVE PEOPLE. They arent really supposed to look all that attractive.

Seriously, people are complaining about that? Sometimes people need to just deal with it. Like all that fuss about cigarettes in Rango. It’s a WESTERN.

I know this is entirely a matter of opinion, because art is different for everyone, however…

The issue I have with the film’s character designs doesn’t have anything to do with the character’s conventional attractiveness (by modern day standards). There are plenty of ways you can design a character who is “unattractive” but still make the design appealing to look at. Take for instance the character designs of the monsters in Monsters, Inc. and contrast them with those of Monsters vs. Aliens. In terms of the goal for the character’s designs, the two aren’t far off from each other. But which one has character designs that are more pleasing to look at? Probably most would say Monsters Inc.

There’s a lot that goes into the appeal of a character design. The rendering and the actual animation of said character are large contributing factors. But there’s just something, at least for me, about looking at the characters from this movie that makes me feel… turned off from the film. And I really think it just has to do with the subtle details in the modeling, especially in the facial area for most of them. Because from what I’ve seen of the concept art from this movie the drawings look quite nice! But their finalized appearance isn’t likeable to me…

Um…ok. :question: I never really understood the whole thing about “bad” character design anyway. Every film has a different style to it to make it different than other movies, so they shouldn’t really be labled as “bad”, just different. But that’s just me.

Also: youtube.com/watch?v=zBdiFU6DgpE

I went for a rewatch of Wreck-It-Ralph today and saw the second trailer for the first time. Movielover98 has beaten me to the punch to uploading the trailer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, I think the character designs are okay-ish. I sorta get what Leirin’s sayin’, it’s sorta like comparing the character designs of Finding Nemo and Shark Tale.

I think it has something to do with the eyes. Pixar’s tend to be larger and more innocent, while Dreamwork’s tend to be smaller and ‘snarky’. I don’t know, that’s the impression I get - Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Rise of the Guardians. The only exception is How To Train Your Dragon, which is surprising why The Crodds has none of Sander’s ‘saucer-plate-eye-designs’ seeping into the human or animal cast.

Anyhoo, I’m getting some Merida vibes from the female protagonist (and it’s not just the redhead factor), and Count Dracula from Hotel Transyvannia, Marlin from Nemo, and Manny from Ice Age: Continental Drift in Nicholas Cage’s paranoid-overprotective father. Not to mention the old lady reminds me of Wanda Syke’s Granny sloth from Continental Drift.

And then there’s the inventive newcomer, much like Hiccup and Wilbur Robinson. And the whole thing where they venture into an undiscovered prehistoric world (Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs) before realising it’s coming to an end (Continental Drift, Ice Age 2: The Meltdown).

Still, my curiousity is piqued. I’ll sit tight and wait for reviews to come in, but it does hold some promise from the lush, beautiful visuals. I was kinda annoyed with the “ladies love shoes” joke, that was kinda lame, but the rest of the gags gave me a chuckle or two.

I have a feeling the sloth-translator-belt will steal the show. :slight_smile:

I saw the trailer right before Monsters Inc 3D. Loved seeing it on the big screen too!

Am I the only person who’s totally stoaked about Nic Cage being in this/

Nic Cage is one of my favourite actors ever since I saw him in The Rock at my uncle’s house many years ago. Watched most of his films - Con Air, Face/Off, Bangkok Dangerous, Gone in 60 Seconds, Lord of War, G-Force (he voices a mole), Astro Boy and Kick-Ass. Plan to see Port of Call New Orleans: Bad Lieutenant, Ghost Rider and The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.

He’s like reluctant everyman hero Bruce Willis (another of my fave actors), only much geekier and dopier.

Website is still rudimentary, but expect more content closer to release.