My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Wait! Let me talk! Don’t throw things at me!

8D

Okay, really now. This is a newer cartoon led by Lauren Faust (Craig McCracken’s wife) aimed at little girls, a reboot/reimagining of the original cartoon series. But wait! It’s actually quite good. All the episodes released so far are available on YouTube. While it’s clear who the intended audience is, the writing and visual design is some of the best I’ve seen in recent cartoons. It’s apparently built up a pretty large adult fanbase as well, to give you a clue.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_ … p_is_Magic

Thanks for posting the link! It looks like decent programming for kids. My younger daughter likes the 80s MLP, but this looks much better. Also, it looks like it compares favorably to WordGirl–more background details, slightly better Flash animation, not as educational but socially “on message” for the target audience.

One of my close friends is obsessed with this show, so he got me to watch an episode.
It’s actually not that bad…

Wow, this is the first time I heard of this. I wasn’t aware that the ponies had their own TV show.

I never have seen a picture or video of this show Leirin, but you bring up a good point. It’s extremely easy to dismiss a show based on first impressions or names (like My Little Pony). But it’s always good to look into it, it might be more mature then you first thought.

Ah yes, I quite enjoy this show. My favourite characters might be Twilight, Spike and Apple-Jack but overall I think I like them all in my own way. I didn’t like the old cartoon even as a kid at all.

This show is generally far more humourous, entertaining and is good for kids and you know the moral lessons, and yes has an adult following to boot- in fact I was pointed to the series by a guy in his late twenties myself.

Lauren Faust is generally great with cartoons though- look at Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends after all!

I’ve seen the first 2 episodes and I’m sort of amused. It definately looks good and even though it’s a bit girly, it’s kinda amusing to watch. It’s just the opening theme that makes me cringe… Fortunately I’m not watching it on TV, so I can just skip that part. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll probably be making a fanart (parody, My Awesome Ponies) to get this out of my head…

I love this show! I’m a guy, but I’ll tell anyone in a second that I love this show, if it was brought up! The only reason why I decided to watch it was because I kept reading praise about Lauren Faust before the show aired. I’m glad I decided to watch it! The storylines are predictable most of the time. Sometimes I can guess whats going to happen by reading the what the episodes are about. But that’s okay with me because I love the characters. My favorite is Pinky Pie. I have an affinity for the really goofy characters in cartoon shows, when all of the characters aren’t goofy. And my favorite episode is “Bridle Gossip.” This scene I’m about to post from my favorite episode won’t make sense to people who dont’ watch it. But it’s a classic moment IMO, and my favorite moment so far.

youtube.com/watch?v=h7PGKcikaGY

Haha, I still need to watch the rest, I’ve only seen the first few. :smiley: But it’s cool that I’ve seen some guys who are willing to admit they like it. That takes guts.

Just watched the first episode. Dang. Black Unicron, you shoulda went to therapy gurl. :cry:

My first impressions on this had been largely negative because I felt that my childhood got tarnished… but it doesn’t look half bad actually.

I used to collect My Little Ponies a couple years ago. Heh! I still have 'em somewhere. They’re awesome. Same for Littlest Pet Shop critters.

However, speaking of Hasbro-brand toys, nothing beats the epicness of Fairy Tail Birds… why is it that Hasbro didn’t revive them, huh? D8

I’m not sure I’ve heard of them before Badger…I still keep and collect those Hasbro toys too! They have nice designs.

Did anyone see this blogpost by Lauren Faust?
msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010/12 … -rebuttal/

It’s a counterpost to another blog on the same site accusing the show of being homophobic, among other things… Interesting to see Lauren give some backstory on the show and her ‘bosses’.

Also, check out her deviantART:
fyre-flye.deviantart.com/

Does anyone know what channel the Hub is on Knology? I’m very interested in this show.

I love to have something from each cartoon or animated movie I like or love on display in my room. I was at Target recently looking at the My Little Pony toys. When I get paid tomorrow, I will be buying a Pinky Pie toy. I don’t care if it’s a girl toy! :smiley:

I want one! 8D

Applejack is officially my favorite.

I have discovered I am a hard-core brony. Why is this show so awesome?!?

What does this mean about the male population of the world (or at least teh internets) today? Do you think guys loving this show is a turn-on for girls or a turn-off?

Whatever, off to watch more episodes. EPIC PRANCING (Thank God there are other male fans on Pixar Planet, or I may have had to hide myself from the cruel world that calls itself High School).

Next Mission: Convince a friend to watch the show, not think I’m gay, and have him like it (in that order).

History of why this show is so popular among males on the internet: link

I personally love the Derezzed DJ pony and the pictures at the bottom

I’ve never even seen the show, but Applejack is my favorite, just based off the name!

High five, Chuckles! :smiley:

I’m glad to see this show is getting attention here too, though it’s pretty popular all over.

(Question, can a girl be a ‘brony’ too in the fandom? Please say yes, or else fluttershy will cry :astonished: )