Epic (Leaf Man)

This thread is about Blue Sky’s upcoming “Leaf Man” project which was retitled “Epic.” The film comes out May 24, 2013.

For something coming out in a year, I’d like more info on the movie than a piece of concept art. :confused:

Same here. I can say that the character designs could be cool.

I’ve never heard of this. What will it be about?

It’s based off a book by William Joyce. It’s about an army of bugs or something like that.

They released the first image for the film today. comingsoon.net/imageGallery/ … 012_25.jpg

Godawful logo and title, but the visual design seems good. I hope that they at least try to play it straight, as Blue Sky has a lot of potential that seems watered down by forgettable comedy.

The character designs look pretty cool. It looks like a more serious film from Blue Sky then their lighthearted comedies.

Agreed about the logo and title. I’m liking the character designs though and it has potential to be surprisingly good.

I completely agree with what you said about Blue Sky’s use of humor. Who knows though—it could end up being the company’s own HTTYD.

It’s incredible how little info about this film there is.

What little can I see in that released image, I like.

The human characters design seems likeable for once, and the hummingbird looks, well… epic.

Also, the protagonist is voiced by Amanda Seyfried, who I think has a very sweet voice.

First trailer is out. Out-of-place comic relief aside, it looks beautiful!
firstshowing.net/2012/watch- … tion-film/

Looks great–another non-sequel, hooray! This looks like it might have more serious content than any other Blue Sky film, and that would be welcome. It’s also still reminiscent of Delgo, and no doubt it will do better than that.

The trailer was pretty good. I did like the colorful animation and the well-staged action scenes. I’m hoping that the script isn’t like that bit of dialogue at the end.

hmm the trailer reminds me of avatar… :confused:

Princess Tiana (fourth from left) gets an unexpected cameo in Blue Sky’s next epic, Epic.

Blue Sky Studios, the creators of Ice Age and Rio, are bringing their next epic - titled, well, Epic. Not to be confused with the woeful Friedberg and Seltzer ‘comedy’, the film is based on the book The Leaf Men by childrens’ book writer William Joyce.

In case y’all haven’t heard of Joyce, he created the conceptual characters for Toy Story and A Bug’s Life. His film studio, MOONBOT Studios, produced the award-winning animated short film The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which I personally enjoyed. Oh, and he’s also the author of A Day With Wilbur Robinson and The Guardians Of Childhood, both of which have been adapted into the films Meet The Robinsons and Rise Of The Guardians by Disney and Dreamworks respectively. If the quality of the film adaptations are any indication, Epic, despite being developed by a different studio, looks set to be another winner.

Chris Wedge, who has worked on the Ice Age films and previously collaborated with Joyce on Robots, is the director of Epic. To address online speculations about whether the film is similar to other films, like FernGully: The Last Rainforest or Avatar, Wedge said: “I hate to associate it with other movies. It is adventure on the scale of Star Wars. And it does immerse the audience completely in a world like Avatar. But it has its own personality.”

I think it also bears comparison to The Borrowers (a film I hated in my childhood, perhaps because the characters are essentially the thieves who have been ‘stealing’ all our missing items), The Ant Bully and The Secret World of Arrietty, the latter two of which I have not seen yet.

The voice cast includes Beyonce Knowles, Colin Farrell, Josh Hutcherson, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Knoxville (what’s that obnoxious lunkhead doing here?), Aziz Ansari (who was hilarious as a psychopathic rabbit in Ice Age: Continental Drift), Jason Sudeikis and Steven Tyler.

Despite the lack of originality and ‘celebrity-roll-call’ cast, I still have high hopes for Epic. I mean, it’s a pretty daring title in itself, and I have yet to find a Blue Sky movie that I actually dislike, which is far from what I can say for Pixar (Toy Story 3), Disney (Chicken Little), Dreamworks (Shrek The Third) and Animal Logic (Happy Feet 2). The thing about their films is that their characters are charming and pleasant enough that it’s hard to actually hate them. And also that their stories tend to be pretty ‘safe’, at least by my standards.

Epic, though, looks like they’re trying something new other than more Ice Age sequels, which must be a good thing. And the visuals, going by the teaser and newly-released trailer, look freakin’ gorgeous. I can just imagine how stunning it would look in 3-D on the big screen, with all the leaves and mini-spears flying about. Kudos to the use of a Snow Patrol song in the trailers, to haunting effect, I must say.

Now, if only they can start introducing directorial talents other than Wedge and Carlos Saldanha and stop relying on star power, then I think they can start playing with the Big Boys.

Honestly, I’m really excited for this. I mean, talking slugs, warriors on hummingbirds, and flower ladies? There’s only one word to describe it.

Epic is set for release on May 24.

Epic Teaser

Epic Trailer

Tumblr post

Already have a topic made. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=XnzOjGSL1qQ

Okay, I’ll merge or chop paste, thanks! :wink:

I was excited for this movie as soon as I heard it is being brought to us by the makers of Ice Age and Rio.

Then I saw the trailer. Brilliant!

I may just see this for the incredible scope, but those slugs…

I’m pretty optimistic for Epic. I quite enjoy the Blue Sky films, and boy this film is beautiful! I look forward to the story, which is still a mystery to me. I’d like to see it, but I should probably catch up by watching Rio first, another Blue Sky film I did not get to see but have been wanting to.