Pixar Planet

Rest In Peace

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:35 am

Maybe there's more to this. Maybe it's a homicide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmnDFKsEHwc

The reporter claims that the check up result reported a very healthy condition and no major illnesses.

It's weird. About a few hours ago, I didn't feel much for the pop legend, only to feel a little bit more sorrow for him now. A lot of celebrities I know died, too, but this is the one that meant something to me. Celebrities come and go and I didn't care much when they died, but I have followed Michael's songs when I was a child, loved them, and it feels weird that he should be the first celebrity that I have felt something for upon his death in my life.

He should have stayed black. Not that I have anything against whites, but I feel these scandals only started appearing after he turned white. I miss the old Billy Jean Michael Black.

~ Flare
Last edited by Dragon of Omnipotency on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement of the moviepocalypse. LLGMs!
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby lizardgirl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I have to admit, I wasn't ever really a big fan of him or his music, but it's obvious just how much of an impact he has made in the world of music. This morning it didn't even seem real, and it's still a massive shock...I feel sad not only because he has died but also because his life was surrounded with such controversy. He was clearly an incredibly talented man but there were all these issues surrounding him and people clearly had mixed opinions of him. But now we see how many people are supporting his family and are missing him, and the whole world has been effected by his death...Well, let's just say there's never going to be another man like him.

I hope he rests in peace.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby CoCoMeister » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Yesterday, I went to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (I will post my review shortly), which took up 3 hours of my life and when I got out, I was bombarded w/ emails and texts on my phone about Michael Jackson's death! That was definitely the last thing I expected to hear - what a shock! I kind of feel like a piece of my childhood has fallen away. I remember hearing all his songs and watching all his videos growing up. His impact on the music world...in pop culture in general...was absolutely huge....May he rest in peace.
CoCoMeister
Garbage Boy

Postby annarborjack » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:01 pm

I was on the computer, then my dad told me about his death, I just stared at him for a few seconds, and then I said " Your kidding, right?" This is so upsetting! I love his song Bad.

"Cause I'm bad! I'm bad! You know its true, I'm bad!"
R.I.P. The King Of Pop
I almost cried when I heard his songs on the radio today.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Fun fact: Bad was released not long after the discovery of his 'white' transformation.

*sneaks into the shadows*

~ Flare
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby annarborjack » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Bad was released not long after the discovery of his 'white' transformation.

Uh, I knew that.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:33 pm

annarborjack wrote:Uh, I knew that.

Good for you. :P I wasn't telling you anyway; just info for everyone here. ;)

~ Flare
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby thedriveintheatre » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:40 am

I remember waking up at Lake Crakenback (yes, it's a terrible name, but I digress) on the Thredbo leg of my vacation trip when I first heard the rumours of Mr. Jackson's death filtering in on the TV's morning news. I thought of it as nothing more than a hoax.

By the time I returned from my ski trip in the evening, the news confirmed his passing, and I suddenly felt very empty. Most of us don't think of Mr. Jackson daily (unless you're a big fan), and in fact look upon his eccentricities with disdain, but we often forget the huge contributions and lasting impacts he made on the music industry in his early years.

It was a pity that he was gonna mount a final comeback tour. To be frank, I actually sort of sided him when he was accused of the scandals (largely thanks to the parasitic press that love sensationalist stories), and though we'll never know if he really did those horrid things he apparently did in Neverland, I can understand his motive behind recreating his childhood and his child-like mannerisms. This was his way of sheltering himself from the harsh realities of his life, and although it was pretty far-fetched (not to mention expensive), I couldn't blame him. The world was a cruel place, and thanks to his hypochondriac and infantile behaviour, he was a victim of exploitation by his doctors (who thanks to their prescriptions, probably killed him) and the media.

His songs in his later years actually had some good messages in them. "Black and White" and "Earthsong" are a few examples that I actually enjoyed. A few years back, I actually went on an MJ craze despite his controversies... I really don't know why. I just remember listening to "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" and "Smooth Criminal" ad nauseaum. Good times...

To me, I will always remember the King of Pop for his truly wicked catchy songs, those insanely epic music videos, and his infamous moonwalk and crotch-grabbin' moves. To know he was taken too soon from us is utterly devastating.

RIP, MJ.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby lennonluvr9 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:32 pm

I haven't been around yet to put in my two cents. I can't call myself a fan of Michael's but I do like a few of his songs. And I can't deny that he wasn't talented and that he had a major influence. I will say hearing about his death was surprising, to say the least. It was just so unexpected.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby annarborjack » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Yeah, I wish it wasn't unexpected. And there was supposed to be a big TV concert 2 days after he died. I hope the people got their money back. I wish he lived a month longer.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:32 am

Well, the FTA networks had a field day yesterday airing non-stop footage of his memorial service and tribute shows to the King of Pop. It looks like this is the final farewell. I wonder where he will be buried?

On a side note, I was watching The Simpsons the other day when I recalled this episode... does anyone remember that episode where Homer met a man who looks and sounds like MJ in an asylum or something but actually turned out to be an impersonator? I believe MJ got an uncredited voice cameo for that one. :) I can't remember the title... I'll have to look it up.
thedriveintheatre

Postby Sky » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah, I was thinking of that same episode yesterday, too. I think it was because MJ didn't want to be credited for that appearance. He actually did some pretty good voice work on that episode. Maybe the stations will play it sometime soon.

I didn't get up at 2:00am or whatever un-Godly hour the memorial was shown here, but they played it on different channels at various times yesterday. When little Paris Jackson spoke of how much she loved her Dad: :-( 'Cause no matter how much we thought he was a freak, at the end of the day, 3 children have lost their father and they loved him a lot, and he loved them. I try not to think about it since it's so sad.
Sky
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:18 pm

I got it! It's Stark Raving Dad. Interestingly, Jackson wrote the song "Happy Birthday Lisa" and co-wrote "Do the Bartman". He only did the "MJ voice" for the Leon Kompowsky (the impersonator character in the show), Hank Azaria did the "normal voice", and Kipp Lennon as the singing voice (who was later credited instead of MJ, at MJ's request).

Anyway, yeah, it was quite sad to see MJ's daughter break down during her speech. Poor kid. :-(

I was watching a late-night doco yesterday called Living with Michael Jackson. I think I watched it before many year ago in Sing, but anyway, it's hosted by Martin Bashir as he tails the singer about his daily life and his concert tours. Mr Bashir was quite critical of the singer, as MJ was pretty much an easy target with his quirky mannerisms and strange eccentricities. There was one point where they actually showed Mr Bashir at the famous scene where MJ dangled his baby from the balcony of the Adlon Hotel, Berlin (I was lucky enough to have paid that spot a visit during my family's Eastern Europe tour last year).

Well, no matter what the press and general public thinks of him, I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. He may no doubt be a bit eccentric towards his last years (and I suspect he was as much a victim of the media as he was a master of it), but he will be remembered by me for his music and his good intentions to "make the world a better place", no matter how lofty or overtly optimistic it may be.

I find it interesting that most people wouldn't pay as much attention or appreciation for someone when they're dead as they were when they're living. I suppose it's human compassion for the departed. :|
thedriveintheatre

Postby Buzz is Right here » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I just thought it was truly awful how much the media bashed him over the passed 10 years and then all of a sudden once he passes away the media uses him as an icon to get more attention, and everyone is all like "Oh my gosh! I have listened to his music my whole life, I love him!" and that is usually from a girl who isn't even 15 years old yet and probably never even heard of the guy until it was announced that he passed away.
Buzz is Right here! TS1 Count: 11 TS2 Count: 6 TS3 Count: 5
Buzz is Right here
Shark Bait

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:50 am

What's driving the Michael Jackson mania?

A major part of my fascination with MJ of late (beyond his life story and music) has been “the fascination with him” itself. That is, I’m endlessly interested in the forces that made and kept him such a staggering global phenomenon. With media and pop culture so much more segmented now than it used to be, it’s increasingly rare that one person or entity brings the entire world together in adoration (or at least interest). Isn’t it great? Don’t you miss this? The entire world being familiar with something, enjoying something, being able to talk about something? I think it’s good for us as a human race.

In any case, the above NYT article shares four interesting musings on why he had the power to transcend every boundary and become such a phenomenon.
"Justice requires courage."
Gemini
Shark Bait

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic