Smoking...

Snoking is…

• Dangerous for your health…
  • Just smoke…
  • Depends of the person…i don’t care.

0 voters

I know there may be some people here who do smoke but i’d just like to asjk you all…

What do you think about smoking?? Do you support it becuase its fun or do you reject it as a health problem?

Tell me what you think…

I personally don’t care. I’m fed up with trying to convince the few family members I have (who smoke) to quit. It’s their body, they can do what they want with it, just stay far away from me, because it stinks! x_x

I don’t smoke but I’m not gonna stop someone else from smoking (so long as it’s not around me)

Danger. Sheds off a good amount of our life, they don’t call 'em cancer sticks for nothing.

none of my family smokes anymore (phew), I hate it.

I personally do not smoke, nor have I ever smoked any type of cigarette (or anything else) in my life. It’s a waste of money, they make you and your things smell, and they are bad for your health. Also, smokers have to go outside all the time because they can’t handle not having a cigarette for even a couple of hours. I don’t see how smoking can even be considered ‘fun.’ If that’s your idea of a good time, well… kudos to you. And it certainly isn’t cool, it actually comes off to me as a bit try-hardish.

But if others want to do that, then that’s their choice. Just as long as it’s not near me (like Fett said.)

I never smoke. Period. It is not only a hazard to yourself, but in fact, it is so harmful to others, that people who smoke should be charged with second degree murder due to the existence of passive smoking.

I know that sounds over dramatic, but I have gone through a lot of crap with passive smoking. I tried to avoid those darn smokers, but they always pop up everywhere with their nasty stick of cigarette and just went, ‘puff,’ blowing that lethal gas of poison into my lungs for way too long. In fact, it has been going on for so long, that whenever I smell it nowadays, I’m getting used to it rather than coughing it out… In other words, my lungs are burning up as theirs are. :cry:

If I die, please tell people how I died, so the law of second degree murder could be passed out onto the act of smoking.

Actually, they say that there have been more calls to the Smokers Quit line … thing. And more people really are quitting, which is good. I have seen less people smoking, but I think I’m probably just imagining it. I have a friend who’s tried to quit several times. She keeps going back to it, but every time she lays off 'em, she can stay off for longer than the time before. She said she wanted to quit because she felt like she couldn’t breathe one day, and it scared her.

One of the reasons I don’t like smoking - I can’t help but sit outside the building when waiting to get picked up, and there’s no ‘smoking section’ - they smoke just outside the doors, so it’s unavoidable. I stay inside during the daytime, but at night the lighting on campus is so poor and I can’t see the cars (they all look black with headlights) so I need to be outside with the smokers. :stuck_out_tongue:

I smoke socially, i.e. rarely. I do suffer from anxiety at times and, though I hate to say it, having a drink and a social smoke with my friends calms me down. But considering the fact that I’ve probably smoked less than 20 cigarettes in my entire life, I don’t think I could be branded a ‘smoker’. :laughing:

I do realise it’s bad for your health, hence why I don’t smoke often at all. Plus the fact that it’s expensive and does not smell good at all, especially the way the smell sort of clings to your hair and you have to wash it to truly get rid of the stink. And then there’s the fact that you can get addicted to smoking, which must be horrible, considering that you consciously know about all of the nasty things to do with smoking, but struggle to stop and end up wasting all of your money on cigarettes.

I have never smoked in my life and I don’t plan to ever. I believe it is strongl bad for one’s health and is a big cause of death. I am in college and I walk past people who smoke every day. It really smells bad and it makes me sick.

My grandpa used to smoke, but after I was born, he quit. I’m proud of him for making that choice.

So it does seem that smoking is rather refused in this forum. That’s okay…i just had a paper over smoking last week so i was curious what you guys thought.

Yeah of course it’s dangerous for your health. But, seeking to avoid confrontation, I dont preach or anything to people who do. A friend of mine used to smoke and I let her, it was her decision, who was I judge? Plus I’m sure all those smokers are well aware of the health hazards and are probably sick of hearing about it. Some of them of course know they should stop but are having trouble quitting.

[b:3lhqdbod]lennonluvr9[/b:3lhqdbod]: It’s hazardous to our health, too, you know? :-\ It’s like not wanting to preach to someone who’s slowly skinning you… alive.

You wouldn’t get me to smoke a cigarette if you paid me all the money in the world. Why spend countless amounts of dough for something that’s slowly going to kill you?

Heh. I went to this “Body Worlds” museum in Los Angeles a year or two ago, and the topic of smoking was discussed (or, written, rather) on one of the walls in the museum. One fact, in particular, really caught my attention: It said that for every cigarette you smoke, you lose one minute of your life… or something like that. Yeesh…

When I used to attend a local college in my area, I could have sworn that 80% of the students there smoked in the campus’ parking area. I’d sit down on one of the benches while I waited for a ride and I’d see cigarette sticks/stubs littered all over the pavement. It was… pretty sad… shakes head

– Mitch

[quote="WBoon":1bb817n0][b:1bb817n0]lennonluvr9[/b:1bb817n0]: It’s hazardous to our health, too, you know? :-\ It’s like not wanting to preach to someone who’s slowly skinning you… alive.[/quote:1bb817n0]

Well I dont even know if she still does because I’ve only seen her a few times since we left high school. And there were only 2 times that I noticed it bothering me, once when I rode with her in the car, and once when she had a sleepover at her house. I only actually saw her smoke those 2 times, so maybe she only did it while she was in her own house or car. I guess if i hung out with her more I would have asked her to not do it around me, but really I wasnt around her much in places where she could smoke that it would have made a big difference to me.

Personally I’m never going to cigarettes and alcohol as well. But to others it becomes a sort of “comfort vice”,
Reminds me in South Park about the episode Butt Out (WOW…actually it IS playing on Comedy Central TODAY, right before the new episode they have on Wendsdays), when that…large man who wants to ban cigarettes has the boys (Stan, Kenny, Cartman, Kyle), and is telling them how bad it is. Then there’s this guy smoking in the bar section, and the large guy goes over the top about it (The smoker is several feet away, no THAT close). The smoker just says he got off work and is looking to calm down for the day.
folds arms I just see smoking as an effect humans brought upon themselves. Afterall, in the days of Lucy, it was considered sophistocated to smoke and it was even endorced on family television. Nowadays, the truth comes out, but people dig their grave with ignorance.
Let the smokers smoke, unless it’s someone you care about or they get in your face with it.

YOU smoke Lizardgirl? 0_o is stunned :laughing:

Well, it seems that everyone here is against smoking and will probably crucify me for outing myself and saying that I DO smoke :blush: Well, used to anyway…about a pack every 2 days when I was in Europe. I don’t remember how I started - I knew full well growing up about the “smoking is hazardous to your health” thing - but I know it became VERY addicting. I knew it was bad for me, but it still didn’t stop me from lighting up. I feel like in Europe, more people smoke than they do here in the States so it didn’t feel…taboo, I guess (plus, smoking was allowed indoors @ bars/clubs then)

Since I’ve moved back, I’ve quit…it took awhile - I’d relapse every time I got really stressed out (lizardgirl, you’re right - it does have a calming effect). My friends used to make faces at me and say a couple words about how unhealthy it was and I was harming myself, etc but they never really prodded me to the point where I got annoyed. I’d follow the same approach with other smokers - it’s really up to the person to quit…and I’d definitely be supportive if they decide to. Until then, well…every so often I’d smell the smoke and miss it but otherwise, avoid it and happy I’ve stopped!

I think you’re right, CocoMeister, smoking in most parts of Europe just isn’t seen as a bad thing at all. It’s weird, because it clearly is, but I guess we just haven’t got the message yet. :laughing: I guess now it’s banned indoors, more people are trying to quite, but now you just get huddles of people standing outside, inevitably in the rain in the case of England, smoking under umbrellas and macs. It’s honestly one of the most English images I can think of. :stuck_out_tongue:

But well done for quitting! It’s not easy, I’m sure, as with any other addiction, so you must have some pretty strong willpower.

I don’t smoke. Never have. Never will. It is horrible for your health and personally I don’t see anything cool about it. My mom smokes and I’ve been trying to get her to quit for years. She’s tried a few times, but since it is a such a habit for her, it normally doesn’t end well. Hopefully one of these times it will stick. I don’t like being surrounded by it when I am at home. I’m at college right now and seems like the vast majority of students here smoke. There is a saying that in order to go to MCAD, you have to have either a nicotine or caffeine addiction. I have neither and I survive! It just gets really annoying when you pass a bunch of smokers outside.

t gets really, really irritating every day I go to class, I always have to walk past a crowd of smokers. It is so bad. Some times, I feel like I am going to die inhaling all of the smoke.