Ever had a near death experience?

Have you had a near death experience? I have. Heres the story:
I was born with a tumor on my right side of my chest and the doctors said I wasnt going to live very long. The first few months of my life I went through several surgeries. But by the time I was 2 years old, I was officially cured. I was the third person to have this type of tumor and the first to survive it.

Whoa, you were lucky! :open_mouth:

I almost drowned in a pool once, when I was four years old. I was wearing one of those life-jackets and was bobbing around - next thing I knew I flipped upside down and all I could see was bubbles in front of my face. I can remember trying to scream for help underwater. Luckily, I wasn’t under long, but I was pretty shaken up.

I was like two or three and I started having a seizure on the floor. I was taken to the hospital and my body was starting to shut down, similar to a coma.

I almost drowned - but no pool. I was… drinking, when my friend started cracking me up. It was… horrible, really - the experience, not the joke - I couldn’t really breath, I felt there was water in my lungs… I thought that was it, but all my friend did was asked me if I was okay - while smiling. :unamused: OH YEAH, REAL FUNNY WHILE I’M DYING, HUH, JORDAN?! :imp:

On the road. I was talking my dog for an afternoon walk and had my earphones in. I had looked right and left, and had seen a red sports car (a few hundred metres away) approaching at quite a quick speed. The pedestrian light turned green and I looked again to my right to see the car slow down and began to cross. Half way across the crossing I heard a loud screech and then turned my head to see the car around 2 metres away from me when the driver popped out of the window to call out apologies to me. Apparently the afternoon soon had blinded his view of the traffic light and me. I was rather shaken for the rest of the day, but my dog seemed quite deluded from the whole experience:?

Wow, some pretty scary stories so far! I didn’t realise so many of us have been so close to death at some point or another. Sounds like you were really lucky to have survived, mo!

I haven’t had a near death experience yet, but I won’t say anything more in case I jinx myself. :laughing:

I am sure I have had one before, but I don’t really recall much.

However, I have walked through the streets of Oakland with a San Diego Chargers jersey. I think I have gotten a couple shooting threats.

Durring the fires in Southern Cal, It was so dark, cloudy, dusty, hot, and unbearable. I thiought I was going to get something in my lungs and colapse.

While driving, I almost drove off the curb, going to fast.

When I was a kid, probably about 10 years old, I went to the Royal Show and went on the big ferris wheel which sits up to six people to a carriage. I was either in there by myself, or with my sister (I can’t remember), as well as a boyfriend and girlfriend couple that I didn’t know. So I was looking down below once our carriage was getting higher into the air, and decided to stick my head out of the bars (I was a bit of a dumb kid, in some ways.) Errr, not a good idea to do. Luckily the couple saw me doing that and advised me to stick my head back in the carriage, so I did so. If I hadn’t done that, I would have surely been decapitated because of the ferris wheel’s design. O_o

Yeah, you can die from water in your lungs, even just a little bit. I saw it on Oprah yesterday with Dr. Oz.

So mine was a near-death near-death experience…?! Curse you Jordan for smiling even when I was about to die! :imp:

Umm… Well, I don’t think I’ve had any near-death experiences, but there was this one time when I went to Hurricane Harbor (the water park next to Six Flags Magic Mountain in California), took a raft ride in one of the inner tubes, flipped over in the tube, and couldn’t get out of the dang thing for about a minute. I blame these two kids next to me – they had me wedged in between them and didn’t make any effort to give me some space. It was terrible. :stuck_out_tongue:

mo - Wow! That’s amazing. I’m glad you survived!

rachel - Heh. I did stupid stuff like that all the time when I was a kid, too. That said, Ferris Wheels are terrible. Scariest things on Earth. shivers

– Mitch

I almost drowned once when I was five. I was holding onto the edge of the pool going round it in the water and my hands slipped and I couldn’t get back to the edge of the pool and started going under and trying to shout for help. I think I blacked out and woke up in the hospital or it could be that I don’t remember the ambulance ride home. I had to spend the night in hospital for observation.

Not fun at all. But I didn’t see any white light :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you see a descending Crush going, “Dude… dude…” before you blacked out? :laughing:

Hahaha, no, but I could claim myself to be psychic then and give the idea to Andrew Stanton. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was in the street stock feature at Myrtle Beach Speedway in 1993. At the fastest point on the track, the entry to turn 1, around 120 mph, either my left front tire blew out or a tie rod end broke free. I hit the wall hard enough to instantly bring out a red flag. My head hit what is called the Petty bar of the rollcage and cracked my helmet and rendered me unconscious. Thankfully, no spinal injury. I was in a hospital in Florence, SC for a week before being sent home. Other then a few test sessions at Florence Motor Speedway and Daytona Speedway, I haven’t raced cars since.

When I was 11, I had pneumonia and spend two weeks in the ICU. Of the 25 kids in California who had the same disease as I had in that year, 22 of them died. I had a massive surgery, where they had to take all of the fluid out of my right lung, too part of the lung, and the pleura. I’ve been really athletic all of my life, that strength helped a lot.

Other than that, in one of my stupider moments, when my car was on fire, I took it to a gas station. Yeah.

Wow swimchick. Talk about being lucky or blessed. What an experiece fr ya.

Dieseldan- Ouch, that sounds really painful! And at 120mph? That must’ve been a pretty big collision. Thank goodness your injuries weren’t too bad considering the situation!

SwimChickChick17- Yeah, as TSS said, you must’ve been really lucky to have survived when others sadly did not. It sounds like it was a really major operation.

This was a while ago,I was watching funny videos,while I was eating,I chocked on something,I fell to the ground and my face was purple,my sister was in the room,she got my mom and dad, I got up,still chocking,and he hit my back so hard I swallowed it,but I fell again,it was like,10:00 at night at the time and my sister had to wake him up,and when I was ok he stared at us and then yelled

BED TIME!!!” Really loud.It was scary.

Actually, just this week! It was during my drive to Indiana. I was at somewhere around 300 or 400 miles into the drive, and I was coming up behind a semi, and was about to pass it on the left. As I got closer, some IDIOT driver decides to floor it (he must have been going at least 110mph) and squeeze through me and the semi before I passed him. I swear, his bumper came less than 3 inches from the back of the semi, if he hit it, his car could have killed me. I felt a bit shaken up for a while after that.

Also, just yesterday I was having a bit of trouble staying focused on the road, and my eyes got a bit heavy. The ridges on the edge of the road woke me up and I almost drove into the median. Maybe not life-threatening, but really scary.

This week for me, too. Actually on Saturday.

I had all 3 of my siblings in the SUV we own, along with my 15 year-old cousin. We were all going uptown to eat at Burger King, and afterward bring my cousin home. Anyhow, the road I live on is on a hill, and the speed limit is 40 there, but people have the tendency to go a lot faster. My driveway is really obscure because it is hidden by trees on the right, so it’s hard to see when I’m pulling out. Anyways… completely off topic now… :laughing:

I was getting ready to pull out, and I looked both ways to make sure no one was coming. I saw a car approaching on my right, which was the opposite side of the road so I knew I could pull out. But just as I inched my nose forward, another car behind it pulls out of nowhere and starts passing…! I’m telling you guys, I had to be at least two feet away from getting hit by that car. He was booking it, too!

It took me at least two minutes to recoup from that surprise, and even as I finally pulled out and started driving off, my hands were shaking.

Other near death experiences… hmm… well, when I was little I slipped into a dirty lake once after my mom caught a frog and it jumped out at me. I remember kicking my legs and not being able to feel the bottom, and that scared me. Thankfully she pulled me out, and I was covered in slime from the lake. Eww.

I also survived a horrible winter accident in our old SUV that I should have died from. Really, it should have been a whole lot worse. We literally came several feet from hitting both a street sign and a telephone pole on the side of the road after my mom lost control of the vehicle, and we flipped and rolled several times before stopping just inches away from said telephone pole. I’m telling you, not a single spot of snow was even touched around that pole. And no one was hurt; except for being sore the rest of the week. :laughing:

That’s all I can think of up to this point. Hopefully, there won’t be any more anytime soon!!

little chef